Powered by Outside

Giant Reign X Frame - Help me out!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Giant Reign X Frame - Help me out!
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Stuck refers to blown up. It won't technically get "stuck," but it's the exact same issue.

Emm... no it doesn't, stuck means stuck... where the shock bottoms out and stays there... more common on the floats than the dhx though

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:09 Quote
Was wondering, would Reign X snap if somebody threw a boxxer on and was using it as a downhill bike?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
Was wondering, would Reign X snap if somebody threw a boxxer on and was using it as a downhill bike?

Probably not, but if it does... your warranty is gone. It depends how big you plan on going. (jumps, drops...) but I know a guy that has a 888 on an 07 X1 and he didn't break it yet and he rides hard.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Stuck refers to blown up. It won't technically get "stuck," but it's the exact same issue.

Emm... no it doesn't, stuck means stuck... where the shock bottoms out and stays there... more common on the floats than the dhx though

And how does a shock get stuck? By blowing up.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

you said it doesn't actually get stuck... which it does. I know shocks blow up but i've never seen any coil shocks get stuck.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:23 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:

you said it doesn't actually get stuck... which it does. I know shocks blow up but i've never seen any coil shocks get stuck.

Coil shocks down get stuck because their preload is a coil, not an air spring. It's still the same thing.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Coil shocks down get stuck because their preload is a coil, not an air spring. It's still the same thing.

It's not the same thing, when an air shock gets stuck, it won't move at all. When a coil shock blows up, it will just feel very springy but it will still work. Basicly what you're saying is a hardtail and a full suspension is the same when the shock blows up on the fs.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:32 Quote
Nope, I'm saying a blown shock is a blown shock. You shouldn't be running a blown shock, regardless, and nowadays, blown air shocks aren't nearly as common as they use to be.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Nope, I'm saying a blown shock is a blown shock. You shouldn't be running a blown shock, regardless, and nowadays, blown air shocks aren't nearly as common as they use to be.

Ok. but if you're in a dh race run and you blow your shock, would you finish your run?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Ok. but if you're in a dh race run and you blow your shock, would you finish your run?

If you're in a DH run, and your wheels taco, would you finish it? Nope. You better get the absolutely heaviest wheels you can find, then.

Know what I mean?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

No. "Stuck down" is an issue specific to air shocks (DHX Air recently). The negative spring gets messed up and the shock literally sticks "down". Not the same as a blown damper.

If you really work in a bike shop, and really sell Fox shocks I can't imagine you not knowing this.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

If you're in a DH run, and your wheels taco, would you finish it? Nope. You better get the absolutely heaviest wheels you can find, then.

Know what I mean?

I know what you mean, but that doesn't mean it makes sence... if your shock blows up, do your wheels still turn? not the same situation as a tacoed wheel...

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
brianl wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:

No. "Stuck down" is an issue specific to air shocks (DHX Air recently). The negative spring gets messed up and the shock literally sticks "down". Not the same as a blown damper.

If you really work in a bike shop, and really sell Fox shocks I can't imagine you not knowing this.

Blowing up referring to the air leaving the air chamber. As said, I realize that, and coil shock don't get stuck down because they use a coil preload.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:48 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:

Know what I mean?

I know what you mean, but that doesn't mean it makes sence... if your shock blows up, do your wheels still turn? not the same situation as a tacoed wheel...

I'm using it as an example, I'm not literally saying a blown shock is going to stop your wheels from turning...

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
Don't get a DHX Air.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024125
Mobile Version of Website