New Frame Deisgn (not a joke)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
New Frame Deisgn (not a joke)
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 14:25 Quote
I can see what your shooting for, I understand the reasons and I can see how your system would work for sure. The biggest problems I see is frame stiffness, weight and matching the 2 linkage systems leverage ratios up to avoid a nasty spike in the travel. But those are all problems that could be minimized with LOTS of fooling and knowledge.

But I’m not expert of any kind, merely a student in mech eng and precision machining.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 14:50 Quote
over complicated, heavy, bearing eater, not stiff, just plain old useless

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
about 2Stage bikes, after emailing them, they informed me that their bikes weigh the following:

Zed8 and Elite9 both weigh 41 lbs

AM8 is still a prototype, but will be 32-34lb or lighter once it reaches production next year.

just for anyone who is curious, as was i

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 15:44 Quote
motoman2 wrote:
over complicated, heavy, bearing eater, not stiff, just plain old useless

And with that, you have displayed your character. Thanks, and goodbye.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 15:55 Quote
no problem big guy

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
ok just got back from grey cup

Montreal LOST :'(

So im off to bed il respond in the morning when i am less intoxicated

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
spag wrote:
ok just got back from grey cup

Montreal LOST :'(

So im off to bed il respond in the morning when i am less intoxicated
did u actually go to it? ya, it sucked. Montreal came out so strong, but weakened after the 1st.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 16:52 Quote
ok, so i was talking to the guys from 2stage bikes, and they told me that they are some magor issues with designing such a frame. also, someone pointed out the thread to them. o what the heck, heres the message they sent me:

[Quoten]Hey Erik,

Someone brought to my attention the thread you mention.

Good on the guy for thinking outside the square, unfortunately there are some major issues with what he is trying to achieve, and how he is going about it, but still good on him, I am sure he will learn a lot from the exercise.

The weight I quoted you is 08 spec, 2009 frame designs should be much lighter again.

It may surprise you to learn that two of our air shocks weigh less than the one coil shock!

Regards,

Rhys
[/Quoten]

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
erik74 wrote:
ok, so i was talking to the guys from 2stage bikes, and they told me that they are some magor issues with designing such a frame. also, someone pointed out the thread to them. o what the heck, heres the message they sent me:

[Quoten]Hey Erik,

Good on the guy for thinking outside the square, unfortunately there are some major issues with what he is trying to achieve, and how he is going about it, but still good on him, I am sure he will learn a lot from the exercise.

The weight I quoted you is 08 spec, 2009 frame designs should be much lighter again.

It may surprise you to learn that two of our air shocks weigh less than the one coil shock!

Regards,

Rhys
[/Quoten]

yes but one air shock weighs less then two air shock!

i would like to know what he thinks wont work

(thanks btw)

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 17:07 Quote
spag wrote:
erik74 wrote:

[Quoten]Hey Erik,

Regards,

Rhys
[/Quoten]

yes but one air shock weighs less then two air shock!

i would like to know what he thinks wont work

(thanks btw)
ill ask him...

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 17:16 Quote
i like marquis idea, make it with cardboard/pins. than take a vid of it going through its travel, so we can help you better

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
i like marquis idea, make it with cardboard/pins. than take a vid of it going through its travel, so we can help you better
i added to that, should only be a page or 2 back. only thing he can really do

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 17:20 Quote
erik74 wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:
i added to that, should only be a page or 2 back. only thing he can really do

ya. just trying to get him to do it

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
erik74 wrote:
spag wrote:
photo

should make it a tad clearer
ok, that makes a lot more sense, now i can analyze it...

edit:

alright, its sorta floating.the thing is though, if the wheel if pulled back, it will pull on the shock

IMO this design has potential... talk about flex though in the swing arm. The angles and positions of the links may need to be changed too.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 17:58 Quote
superbarnes65 wrote:
erik74 wrote:
spag wrote:
photo

should make it a tad clearer
ok, that makes a lot more sense, now i can analyze it...

edit:

alright, its sorta floating.the thing is though, if the wheel if pulled back, it will pull on the shock

IMO this design has potential... talk about flex though in the swing arm. The angles and positions of the links may need to be changed too.
i just realized something, i dont know if anyone else sees it, but if the shock is compressed enough, it could push the wheel up instead of down when it expands again...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025075
Mobile Version of Website