Powered by Outside

The trend of really wide bars

PB Forum :: Downhill
The trend of really wide bars
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:46 Quote
whitetux wrote:
right im 5' 3" and here is a pic of me with 750mm bars, and they arent as wide as everyone makes them out to be (i chose these photos 'cause i thought they showed the wideness the best)

photo
photo

ok, they might make the odd tree more difficult to get round, but the extra stability is and the ability to just stick to lines is the best

thats true to a certain extent but there is a point where you are limited physacilly to actually turn the bars,although with dual crown forks that aint gonne be such an issue.

however 20mm extra end of the bar is gonna put more stress at the stem clamp.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
marquis wrote:
whitetux wrote:
right im 5' 3" and here is a pic of me with 750mm bars, and they arent as wide as everyone makes them out to be (i chose these photos 'cause i thought they showed the wideness the best)

photo
photo

ok, they might make the odd tree more difficult to get round, but the extra stability is and the ability to just stick to lines is the best

thats true to a certain extent but there is a point where you are limited physacilly to actually turn the bars,although with dual crown forks that aint gonne be such an issue.

well im not heavy, so no worries there and a load of pro downhillers dont even run 30.8mm clamps, sam hill and brendan fairclough for an example

they might not be running super wide bars, but are putting them on a HUGE amount of stress

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
whitetux wrote:
marquis wrote:
whitetux wrote:

photo
photo

well im not heavy, so no worries there and a load of pro downhillers dont even run 30.8mm clamps, sam hill and brendan fairclough for an example

they might not be running super wide bars, but are putting them on a HUGE amount of stress

sam hill and brendan fairclough dont have to buy there bars though,um wonder if they run that setup for extra flex.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
whitetux wrote:

photo

photo

you look like your riding a bike too big for you

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:17 Quote
stryke wrote:
whitetux wrote:

photo

photo

you look like your riding a bike too big for you

do you know a bike that would fit someone as small as me...no, unless it has less than 8" of travel

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
evilrydr wrote:
mxmitch wrote:
evilrydr wrote:
Low wide bars aren't really a trend either. People are just realizing that having low bars will result in a lower stand over height on DH bikes.

No it won't.
Read again.
]

Do you know what the stand over height is?

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:36 Quote
mxmitch wrote:
evilrydr wrote:
mxmitch wrote:

No it won't.
Read again.
]

Do you know what the stand over height is?

Maybe he rides backwards or summit?

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
Whats the definition of really wide bars? Are we talking 710? 750? 760? 800?

In my opinion any bars bigger than 760-ish are a bit daft and not needed. However im not saying your an a*shole if you run them.

I know some people rave on about how you get mega bonus leverage and whatnot with 800mm bars, but if you ride any other track than Fort Bill or Moelfre then your fooked. All you'll do is clobber trees on the way down and turn your hands into pulp.

There are 3 types of bar people.

There are those who have been running 600mm bars from day 1 who say 'omg omg massive bars are for idiots wtf they're not even needed'. Really - they are afraid to try any bigger bars incase they like them.

Then there are the people like myself who have got 750 / average sized large bars. Who ride them because they like the feel and stability and realised that 600mm bars are for pussy uphill f*ggots and you can't go fast with them.

Then there are guys who ride 810mm bars because they're trying to outdo their mates and take up all 3 lanes on the motorway.

I think we're on the same page.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
whitetux wrote:

photo

photo

Hi Jesus.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 11:11 Quote
DrSanchez wrote:
whitetux wrote:

photo

photo

Hi Jesus.

I dont get it?
Looks fine to me, looks like he is riding well and the bars look fine,.......nothing wrong there

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 11:52 Quote
it all depends on ur size aswell, if you have really wide shoulders and u want wide bars then say 760 isnt wide 2 u so u go 2 800 and feels good but if 760 feels wide 2 someone else then fair do's. i think it might have been a fashion thing 2 begin with but then people then relized that they actually have benifets on the track.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
Wow, so the wide bar thing has been beaten to death. Its also trendy to wear your hat with the tag still attached, wanna talk about that too? I don't do it but then again I don't wear a hat. It may seem "trendy" to use wide bars, but did you ever think that its being done because it works? The demand for wide bars has caused manufacturers to start producing them. Case in point, they work well for the intended purpose, going dh in a race, not freeride, not barspins, not slopestyle or xc, but for DH racing in rough terrain at high speeds. If you don't like wide bars then don't use wide bars. Also, why are you spending so much time critiquing how other riders look while using them? If it bothers you so much then stop looking. Whip Madder

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
people will run narrow bars in 2010 because it will mean you can turn faster

watch

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
JKSR wrote:
Wow, so the wide bar thing has been beaten to death. Its also trendy to wear your hat with the tag still attached, wanna talk about that too? I don't do it but then again I don't wear a hat. It may seem "trendy" to use wide bars, but did you ever think that its being done because it works? The demand for wide bars has caused manufacturers to start producing them. Case in point, they work well for the intended purpose, going dh in a race, not freeride, not barspins, not slopestyle or xc, but for DH racing in rough terrain at high speeds. If you don't like wide bars then don't use wide bars. Also, why are you spending so much time critiquing how other riders look while using them? If it bothers you so much then stop looking. Whip Madder

Why does it bother you so much that I'm calling it a trend? Don't post here if ya don't like it. Wink

Not only will bars go back down to 'normal' width but the clamp will increase to 1.25". Just watch.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Teejay05 wrote:
JamesOliver wrote:
Well someone else running wide bars is not effecting you at all so quite moaning about pointless things.

If people want to run wide bars then let them. People should be allowed to do what ever they want with out someone else moaning about it.
+1
+2

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037547
Mobile Version of Website