What's the Cheapest Way to Get Into DH?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What's the Cheapest Way to Get Into DH?
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:16 Quote
HARDTAIL
if you want to be a better overall rider, start out with a hardtail, and then after a season or so of riding buy yourself a squishy. But don't start out the beginning of the season on the full-susp. if you do then you won't pick as good line as you would otherwise, b/c you will have lost some skill over the winter. Basically take your hardtail down the hill for a few weeks, and then go to a dually.

SOFTTAIL
IF you want to have more fun go for a dually.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
HARDTAIL
if you want to be a better overall rider, start out with a hardtail, and then after a season or so of riding buy yourself a squishy. But don't start out the beginning of the season on the full-susp. if you do then you won't pick as good line as you would otherwise, b/c you will have lost some skill over the winter. Basically take your hardtail down the hill for a few weeks, and then go to a dually.

SOFTTAIL
softtail's are pieces of shit, and barely anyone makes them. i hope you realize that softtail refers to frame flex...

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:22 Quote
I have to agree, start on a hardtail, you will pick up more skills on controlling the bike with your arms and legs instead of just letting the suspension on the bike absorb everything, then when the times comes for you to get a full sus the skills you have picked up from riding a hardtail combined with the efficiency of a downhill or freeride bike you will be a much better rider compared to going straight onto a full sus

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
erik74 wrote:
coaster156 wrote:
HARDTAIL

SOFTTAIL
softtail's are pieces of shit, and barely anyone makes them. i hope you realize that softtail refers to frame flex...

by saying a softtail, for those of you out there who doen't understand the difference, i mean a bike with both front and rear suspension.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
erik74 wrote:
coaster156 wrote:
HARDTAIL

SOFTTAIL

by saying a softtail, for those of you out there who doen't understand the difference, i mean a bike with both front and rear suspension.
front and rear suspension is a Full Suspension bike (FS). an ST is often referred to as frame flex, though there are some with minimal rear suspension, such as Aaron Chase's softtail Chase

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
erik74 wrote:
coaster156 wrote:
erik74 wrote:

front and rear suspension is a Full Suspension bike (FS). an ST is often referred to as frame flex, though there are some with minimal rear suspension, such as Aaron Chase's softtail Chase
while i'm sure you (and everyone else) knew what i meant when i said softtait.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
yes but a softtail is still not something you'd want to be DH'ing with. It has a rear shock but it has no pivot. The frame flexing is the pivot...so you get like 2" MAX 3" of travel. You want a "fully" or "dual sus" bike. One with real pivots lol.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
lafalot wrote:
yes but a softtail is still not something you'd want to be DH'ing with. It has a rear shock but it has no pivot. The frame flexing is the pivot...so you get like 2" MAX 3" of travel. You want a "fully" or "dual sus" bike. One with real pivots lol.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.thehubsa.co.za/uploads/20081006_004726_on-one_softtail.jpgsofttail

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
lafalot wrote:
well actually salsa makes a bike without pivots and it works amazing well.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
lafalot wrote:
when did we say that they dont work well?

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
erik74 wrote:
coaster156 wrote:
lafalot wrote:
fine change that to "Salsa makes bikes with 5+ travel without the use of pivots" and then you get my point.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
erik74 wrote:
coaster156 wrote:

fine change that to "Salsa makes bikes with 5+ travel without the use of pivots" and then you get my point.
you gotta be specific or people wont understand, you understand?

helps if you told us what bike...

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
yea, you guys might be right about the whole starting off hardtail and going fully later thing, don't doubt it at all, however, that's like, i don't know, having to think about buying two bikes? i'm fairly financially in an insecure situation and i'd hate to have to worry about having to spend $2000 next year on something i could get situated on right now. if you can get a bighit or whatever entry level dh bike you should be happy, as long as you can put aside 200 extra for some new wheels after your first month. i say this cause i know someone that got a bighit as his first bike and has progressed into an expert level racer in a year. and he was able to get it crazy cheap brand new, i don't know ow it works, but there's a specific month in the year when bikes no one buys are offered to bike shops at real low prices. and yea, 4" on a hardtail may not be the way to go but it's what i had and i work with it as it is all i know. by the way, a setup like mines is very dependable, being that there's no kind of drivetrain complication: one gear. and some heavy wheels that haven't failed me yet even though i case everything. a cheap, strong, uncomplicated setup is what you want. i haven't replaced anything except brake pads and helmets. and i have no plans or worries about upgrading. probly cause i'm poor but optimistic. in the end you are downhilling and having fun anyway. and you can still pay for your tuition fees and parking tickets.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
Buy used and older.

Saves money, you can crash it up and trash it up and wont feel like shit, and that way you can find your style on a budget,

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019211
Mobile Version of Website