Ottawa area

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Ottawa area
O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
Nice, thanks. I came from Petawawa and rode Forest Lea. Hard to imagine the bugs being worse than there. Last ride I got a flat and decided to run my bike 2 km back to the car instead of fix it. That bad.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 17:56 Quote
Gotta ride with a small bottle of deet.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 8:17 Quote
Is the "Trail Status: Lake Loop Open - Mountain Closed" on Velo MSM current? (They haven't posted anything for almost a month, so just wondering)

EDIT:
Just to answer myself, there's a status update on their Instagram:
"Great news folks, after a week of dry weather, we are ready to announce that we are almost fully operational!! Lake Loops are riding amazingly dry!! And the Mountain loop is open. HOWEVER!!! Please note, LugTread and Growler are NOT OPEN. They are closed and under construction. We have heavy equipment on them and the crew is working this weekend. DO NOT RIDE them, we need a safe working environment for everybody."

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 5:38 Quote
bikedumpdave wrote:
went up this morning for good friday skiing and all the chairs have been remove from the cable on the ski line chair lift

hopefully that means they will be magafluxing the cable for early inspection,so they can run for DH

keep your fingers crossed
I talk to the guy got the downhill and he hope the lift will be back running on July 15 the latest

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
Thanks for the update!

Cheers

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
The last update on Facebook from the official Camp Fortune page said the earliest it'd be open would be August.

Lift serviced downhill update June 25 2019
Hi all, as promised in another thread here is a lift serviced downhill update.
In a nutshell the update is that not much has changed since the last update posted on June 10. Work continues, you won’t see the team at the lift this week as work is being done remotely in a shop. We are also waiting on a few parts. We will soon continue up the lift working on the more remote towers. Hopefully all goes well and we don’t discover anymore surprises. As we say in the winter, “skis crossed” for an August DH season through the fall colours. We appreciate your patience with this very long, very delayed, very frustrating project. (Posted by Erin with info from Liam)

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
Hey Ottawa or Gatineau I’m going to mss bike park on the weekend or July 6 I got place for 2 ppl if they wanna split the gaz net me know

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 5:55 Quote
So when do the bugs get better at SMH? Fall, I assume? I'm enjoying those trails, but I think I would have more fun with a full suspension bike. And more DEET...

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
Where is smh would it be good for a dh or it more cross country type of trail

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 14:14 Quote
SMH (south march highlands) is in Kanata. It is more xc/trailbike than dh. It is pretty rocky with some technical sections so suspension is nice but not needed. Any king of dh bike would be major overkill there.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
Past few years bugs have not been bad. But last year and especially this one they are terrible. Definitely will let up when it hits -20*.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 8:17 Quote
SMH is maintained by the Ottawa Mountain Bike Association (OMBA). You can find a map of SMH (and other local riding areas) on the OMBA website here:

https://ottawamba.org/cms/category/maps/

It's mostly flat, but very rocky, rooty, and technical. Technical trail riding; Not DH. For DH, check out Camp Fortune or Mont Sainte Marie, but you'll have to pedal or push your way to the top of either. The lifts are not operating yet at Camp Fortune (AFAIK), and the lifts only operate at Mont Sainte Marie on select dates/events, like Velofest.

The bugs are bad at SMH at the moment. Ottawa has been spraying Kanata North for mosquitos the last few years. It has mostly been good up until just recently. I was able to ride and do trail work in June with no repellant on. On Sunday, we were swarmed every time we stopped, even with repellant on. Hopefully this streak of hot & dry weather will improve things.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
I assume everyone following this thread already knows, but Camp Fortune Skyline lift is now running for DH on the weekends Smile
Also Mont Ste Marie Vanier chairlift is running 9am-4pm this long weekend (Sat. August 31st / Sun. September 1st / Mon. September 2nd).

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
Hi All!

I have been getting into MTB this year in a big way! The bug has bit me hard! I have really enjoyed discovering the local trails to Ottawa on Trailforks and thats kept me very busy this summer going on 3/4 rides a week mainly in SMH or Larose. I'm fairly new to Canada still having moved here from England in 2015 so sure theres some hidden gems I'm missing out on and also lacking riding buddies Frown

I join OMBA in hopes of finding some group events but their forum seams dead and I don't use or want to use FB.

Are there any local meets arranged here?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013644
Mobile Version of Website