Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 2:45 Quote
mtbboy05 wrote:
InspectoR wrote:
mtbboy05 wrote:
go for the cane creek its brilliant

I am a bit afraid of the db inline. It doesn't inspire me due to "chirping" issues.
honestly I've had no problems with mine once you get it setup up right it irons out terrain like no other. I have tried a monarch with a piggyplback and without and a fox kash ctd and none were as good.

I had the chirping issue on my DB Inline on my Spectral, I sent it to T F Tuned who do the UK Warranty (quicker than sending it to Canyon), when they have it booked they send it back same day! I sent it on a Monday as it was booked for the Wednesday, I got it back Thursday! Smile Initial problem on the DB Inlines was the bladder in the top of the shock getting inverted. This part has now been improved to prevent this and was replaced on shock. Shock feels really good now. One other thing to note I was going to get TF Tuned to install two small volume spaces as this is the Cane Creek spec for the DB Inline on a Spectral but Canyon say they spec the shock with no volume spacers. When T F Tuned checked it already had two small spacers.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 3:25 Quote
Contact this guy (sinex), he got the same problem twice (!), almost the same frame spot:

first crack - http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/canyon-strive-teil-2.611814/page-278#post-13071321
second crack - http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/canyon-strive-teil-2.611814/page-240#post-12296451

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 4:18 Quote
Today I went to the Canyon service center here in Belgium for an issue with my Nerve, which they repaired swiftly and for free.

I told them about me wanting to replace it with a Strive soon, for more enduro trails and some bike parks visits. However I live in a flattish area which is densily populated (Belgium). So to get to decent trails, I always have to ride on some asphalt for a couple of kilometers.
The Canyon salesman told me that the Strive would have quite a lot of pedal bob when pedaling on asphalt. It wouldn't be very comfortable to pedal according to him. He was mainly talking about the Strive 6.0 race I think (they had one there) so that shock you can't really lock out but you can with the Cane Creek and the RC3 version, right?

Guys with a Strive here, how is the pedal bob with the Cane Creek DBinline shock or the Monarch Plus RC3 when you lock it out/put the climbing switch on (as much as you can lock it out of course) and in the cross country mode? Is it bad?

He advised me to look at the Spectral (EX) range or even to keep my Nerve, he said you can actually do quite a lot with 120mm of travel, it's not bad if you bottom out as long as it isn't too harshly and too often but maybe get better wheels and a Reverb. But doing so would almost cost me as much as buying a new bike of course...

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 4:53 Quote
LaurentS wrote:
Today I went to the Canyon service center here in Belgium for an issue with my Nerve, which they repaired swiftly and for free.

I told them about me wanting to replace it with a Strive soon, for more enduro trails and some bike parks visits. However I live in a flattish area which is densily populated (Belgium). So to get to decent trails, I always have to ride on some asphalt for a couple of kilometers.
The Canyon salesman told me that the Strive would have quite a lot of pedal bob when pedaling on asphalt. It wouldn't be very comfortable to pedal according to him. He was mainly talking about the Strive 6.0 race I think (they had one there) so that shock you can't really lock out but you can with the Cane Creek and the RC3 version, right?

Guys with a Strive here, how is the pedal bob with the Cane Creek DBinline shock or the Monarch Plus RC3 when you lock it out/put the climbing switch on (as much as you can lock it out of course) and in the cross country mode? Is it bad?

He advised me to look at the Spectral (EX) range or even to keep my Nerve, he said you can actually do quite a lot with 120mm of travel, it's not bad if you bottom out as long as it isn't too harshly and too often but maybe get better wheels and a Reverb. But doing so would almost cost me as much as buying a new bike of course...

I've got a strive cf 9.0 race and did the ard rock enduro on it on Sunday. the route had over 4500ft of climbing, quite a lot of that on road and didn't have a problem with it. the shapeshifter makes it pedal a lot better than other bikes. also pedal it on the road and flatish, boring trails a bit and so long as its left in xc mode I don't have a problem with it bobbing.

The monarch plus doesnt have a lockout as such, its adjustable on the compression damping so you can firm it up. Also the shapeshifter will reduce the sag on the shock when you shift into xc mode. the cane creek on my dads bike (enduro 29) has a climb switch which just firms up the shock a bit, but i dont think its as much as the firm setting on my monarch, but that could be to do with the suspension design.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 5:32 Quote
Tamasz wrote:
Contact this guy (sinex), he got the same problem twice (!), almost the same frame spot:

first crack - http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/canyon-strive-teil-2.611814/page-278#post-13071321
second crack - http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/canyon-strive-teil-2.611814/page-240#post-12296451
Thanks a lot.
I've already got in touch with canyon but they want some more pics, definitely gonna retire the bike for the time being...thankfully I've got my enduro hardtail to keep the cranks spinning

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 5:41 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
LaurentS wrote:

I've got a strive cf 9.0 race and did the ard rock enduro on it on Sunday. the route had over 4500ft of climbing, quite a lot of that on road and didn't have a problem with it. the shapeshifter makes it pedal a lot better than other bikes. also pedal it on the road and flatish, boring trails a bit and so long as its left in xc mode I don't have a problem with it bobbing.

The monarch plus doesnt have a lockout as such, its adjustable on the compression damping so you can firm it up. Also the shapeshifter will reduce the sag on the shock when you shift into xc mode. the cane creek on my dads bike (enduro 29) has a climb switch which just firms up the shock a bit, but i dont think its as much as the firm setting on my monarch, but that could be to do with the suspension design.
And how about the fork? If you lock that one out, does it bob like crazy when doing standed climbing?

I don't know what you can compare it to but how much effort do you have to put in to pedal on flat roads (asphalt)? For example, 32 km/u on my carbon road bike feels about equal to 27 km/u on my Nerve, that's about the same effort I have to do to keep that.
The Canyon salesman told me the Strive would be slow on flat/climbs, feeling like a tank and not nimble at all...

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 7:33 Quote
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for some advice.

I've just ordered a Nerve 7.0 - I'm pretty excited about it but it isn't going to arrive for another month or so.

In the meantime I've been thinking - should I have waited for the 2016 models to come out? I emailed canyon and asked about this, they said the models will be released in October and available for purchase a couple of days afterwards.

Is it worth cancelling my order for my 2015 bike and waiting a couple more months to get a 2016 bike? How much difference can there be?

Thanks.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 9:56 Quote
I went through this exact same thing. I just went for it in the end. They will be new colours and slightly altered geo I guess. At the end of the day you are getting a great bike that you are going to keep for a while. Its going to go out of date whatever... just get the bike and enjoy riding it!

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 1:59 Quote
Tyto84 wrote:
Hi there,

I just received my Spectral Al 7.0 ex S size. I already take two quick rides on road, but i feel that the bike is shorter for me, the front is pretty weird...

My measures are:

Height = 171 cm
Weight = 75 kg
Inseam Leg = 79cm
Torso Length = 66cm
Shoulder Width = 51 cm
Arm Length = 63cm

My old bike was a Scott aspect 620 size M a hardtail which i already ride very hard! So i'm not used to the Full Suspension Handling/Driving! I don't know if the spectral driving looks weird because of the size or because it's me that are not used to that king of bikes?

I'm in a hard decision because i'm afraid of exchange the bike to an M size and the M it's bigger for me, but this S size seems really small.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Hello There,

I just done my first descend on a rough terrain on my spectral, and my conclusion is that I felt the bike very instable on the descents!
It’s very good uphill but downhill I don’t know… I felt the bike insecure and unstable, if I stand up on the bike descending, I stay immediately over the front wheel, and I felt that anytime I will go down on the floor due to huge weight on the front wheel.
I will do another descent today for more testing, but probably I will exchange for the M size. Also my recommended size for the Strive 6.0 is M and for the spectral 7.0 ex S!~

What do you guys think?

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 4:06 Quote
Hm, I still have some doubts.

First, with your 79cm inseam it could become REALLY close with the Reverb. I have 83cm inseam on my Medium frame and you may have a look how much space I have left between Reverb and beginning of frame:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://fstatic0.mtb-news.de/f3/17/1729/1729928-oc7gjyqxkrkn-sam_7026-original.jpg
4cm? I don't think so, actually.

Second: Maybe you need to adjust your bike position to the new bike? But I can't tell without seeing you. And this is a very personal thing. For me, I needed to learn to bend my arms more than before. And I find the Spectral very stable on descents, humm :/

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 4:44 Quote
Hello,

You find it stable because your bike it's size M and it fits you Smile .
With the Spectral size M the reverb will go all in the seat tube, maybe only 1cm above (i already ckecked that), probably just like yours! My inseam is 79cm without the footwear.

Also Canyon site recomends the M for the Strive 6.0 Model, the geometry is "mm" close to the Spectral M size!

I'm a little confused, today i'm gona do another descent for testing, with care because I can’t mess the bike up!

This is my size S.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://s8.postimg.org/4es30swvp/unnamed.jpg

Whats your full measures Tamasz?

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 5:42 Quote
Hej Tyto,

hehe, yeah, could be that M does add some security. But not necessarily alone. Smile

My size is 1,74m (5 feet 8½ inches) and my inseam (barefoot!) is 83cm. Yes, long legs, I know.

Your bike setup doesn't look too unhealthy, seat post seems reasonable. But on the M... I would not bet on it that 79cm fits with the 125mm Reverb on full extent.

edit: I'll ask the German user pastajunkie how many cm he has left with his Reverb. He rides a Medium with 172cm and 81,5cm inseam.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 6:04 Quote
Thanks

Uphill the bike is perfect, but downhill, i was scared Blank Stare , Maybe i could had a bigger stem (60mm or 70mm) and rise the front 1cm or 2cm

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 6:08 Quote
Longer stem is a bad idea as your weight is even more on the front wheel then. Think about it Smile

Raising the front seems more promising to me.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 6:45 Quote
Tamasz wrote:
Hej Tyto,

hehe, yeah, could be that M does add some security. But not necessarily alone. Smile

My size is 1,74m (5 feet 8½ inches) and my inseam (barefoot!) is 83cm. Yes, long legs, I know.

Your bike setup doesn't look too unhealthy, seat post seems reasonable. But on the M... I would not bet on it that 79cm fits with the 125mm Reverb on full extent.

edit: I'll ask the German user pastajunkie how many cm he has left with his Reverb. He rides a Medium with 172cm and 81,5cm inseam.

My seating position will be almost the same on the M. The seat tube raises 4cm and the Reverb tube comes down 4 cm, leaving no space or just 1 cm between the Reverb and the beginning of the frame. The Reverb stays always full extended, like my current setup.

Differences 7.0ex S vs 7.0ex M

A Seat tube length -> 45 mm
B Top tube length -> 30 mm
C Head tube length -> 20 mm
G Wheel base -> 33 mm
H Stack -> 18 mm
I Reach -> 25 mm
J Stand-over height -> 6mm

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://s30.postimg.org/sh0lj67dt/Untitled.png

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011129
Mobile Version of Website