Post Your Rocky Mountain Flatline!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Rocky Mountain Flatline!
Posted: Mar 21, 2014 at 15:54 Quote
raph11 wrote:
no troll, I just want to save you time and money. You can make your bike lighter of course, you can drop 500g, 1kg maybe but at what price, and it still will be much heavier than top weight bikes that are arround 14-15kg. my Flatline is 19kg, a lot, invest 500 to drop 500g is never worth it, I'm not going to be any faster or have any more fun. Upgrading is a good idea but don't take the weight as your main choice argument, brings nothing to this amazing frame.

and if you're still going to invest, do it in the wheels first, that's where you can feel a difference in weight

agree, i think that weight shouldn't be such an issue riding downhill. More mass gives more speed down the hill Big Grin

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2014 at 16:54 Quote
Yeah wheels is definitely where you notice the weight loss the most! That's how I'm losing a fair amount of weight on mine.

Posted: Mar 21, 2014 at 17:36 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
Yeah wheels is definitely where you notice the weight loss the most! That's how I'm losing a fair amount of weight on mine.

So what you are guys all picking for wheels to lose weight? I don't really trust any of the manufacturer websites. I was thinking of building up my spare flatline frame with either spank spike race 28's or easton havocs. Thoughts? Also could do EX 721's laced to (Insert hub here)?

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2014 at 17:41 Quote
I'm running Stans Notube ZTR Flow EX. I just came off my Spank Spike 35AL which I destroyed. Went from running tubes, to tubeless also. I wouldn't go EX721 personally, I've heard the new ones aren't as good, and there are much better options out there! I can't say anything about Havocs, have no experience with those whatsoever. But the Spikes I found dented quite easily, but they were strong other than that. I was between the Spike Race 28s and the Flow, went for the Flow as they have a smaller sidewall height, so shouldn't dent as easily, are quite light, and strong for their weight. Both can be run tubeless too. It's my third rear wheel in the past 2 years.

Posted: Mar 21, 2014 at 18:09 Quote
I've got my 2012 Flatline down to 38lbs. Running Mavic 321 hoops on Formula hubs. Saint brakes, Atlas Freeride cranks. Fox 40 ti up front, rc4 with a steel spring in the back. Tubes. That's about all the heaviest bits. If you want to see the full build check my profile.

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 4:27 Quote
photo

mine,18,8 kg....

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 5:17 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
I'm running Stans Notube ZTR Flow EX. I just came off my Spank Spike 35AL which I destroyed. Went from running tubes, to tubeless also. I wouldn't go EX721 personally, I've heard the new ones aren't as good, and there are much better options out there! I can't say anything about Havocs, have no experience with those whatsoever. But the Spikes I found dented quite easily, but they were strong other than that. I was between the Spike Race 28s and the Flow, went for the Flow as they have a smaller sidewall height, so shouldn't dent as easily, are quite light, and strong for their weight. Both can be run tubeless too. It's my third rear wheel in the past 2 years.

Thanks. I was also considering Novatech's Demon wheelset

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 8:42 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
cjwanner wrote:
Wheels, Cranks, Fork, Brakes, air shock like you said. Get some lighter cranks and you'll notice a huge difference.

Shoot, hussefelts are the only cranks compatible with howitzer BBs, so I'd need a whole new BB/Crank configuration.

I don't know much about cranks, what cranks are lighter and can still handle the abuse of DH? Saint or Zee?

also, anyone run a totem on a newer model Flatline?
Raceface atlas cranks are my #1 for dh, they're slightly lighter than saints too, (according to the manufacturer's specs), but if you can, I'd go sixC, my 2011 WC flatline is at 41lbs and I'm enjoying her a lot, I just don't think its worth it to spend so much money on a frame that's so capable of tanking and plowing right through a brick wall...

Posted: Mar 30, 2014 at 17:08 Quote
mEth0dBC wrote:
anyone have an idea how much a rear tri-angle frame for 13 flatline world cup is?
I just checked with my guys and they estimated around $360

Posted: Mar 30, 2014 at 17:49 Quote
mEth0dBC wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:
mEth0dBC wrote:
anyone have an idea how much a rear tri-angle frame for 13 flatline world cup is?

Hey thanks bud! Appreciate it! Do you happen to know if you can get them in a different color then the standard white?? Maybe black or other colors??

Thanks!!
Should be able to get it in any of the stock colors through any dealer.

Posted: Mar 31, 2014 at 0:21 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
mEth0dBC wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

Hey thanks bud! Appreciate it! Do you happen to know if you can get them in a different color then the standard white?? Maybe black or other colors??

Thanks!!
If you live near annacis island, you can go to the factory and ask for one, instead of getting it through a shop and paying retail. I did that and I got a brand new swingarm, with new bearings and painted and decaled to match my bike for free! (And a 6 pack of cariboo)

Posted: Mar 31, 2014 at 0:24 Quote
wite-trash-azn wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:
mEth0dBC wrote:

Thanks!!
If you live near annacis island, you can go to the factory and ask for one, instead of getting it through a shop and paying retail. I did that and I got a brand new swingarm, with new bearings and painted and decaled to match my bike for free! (And a 6 pack of cariboo)

Oh sickk I didn't know that they even had a factory there, I may do that instead of going to my shop then. My stupid rear triangle dented so I'm considering getting a new one...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016328
Mobile Version of Website