Powered by Outside

Rotor Problem, nut lost its thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rotor Problem, nut lost its thread
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 9:26 Quote
Hey guys got a dmr reptoid 2010 and i took my front brake off cus off rubbing and generally i didnt need it in the forest, anyway we got everything off and on the last nut the thread came off (on the rotor)... and our lbs said to put a flathead in and hammer it then twist, havent tried it but i dont want to ruin it completely.

Any other ideas etc etc curently its on the hub with that nut is it safe/ allright to ride with it with one nut...
thanks

Posted: May 15, 2010 at 17:27 Quote
you're post is a little confusing, but i'm guessing what you are saying is that you are removing the 6 little bolts that hold that brake rotor on, and on one of them the head rounded off?

in which case, first off - no! it will no be safe to ride with one bolt. even if you aren't going to use a brake, either mount the rotor properly or take it off.

secondly, removing that bolt could be very difficult. your options -

- try and jam a screwdriver into it by hammering it in, and seeing if you can unscrew it.

- if this fails you can try using a hacksaw to cut a slit in the bolt head, and put a screwdriver in that - this will provide the screwdriver with much more purchase. (it worked for me)

- if this fails, you could try drilling the bolt out. bear in mind, though, that this is very difficult and there is a high chance of you irreprably damaging the threads on your hub.

- if all else fails, you could just cut the head off the bolt to free the rotor. if you ever want to mount a brake again, just mount the rotor with the remaining 5 bolts - it will still be perfectly safe.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 3:40 Quote
thanks matey, will try that!

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 6:27 Quote
sonic is happy he could be of help.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010825
Mobile Version of Website