Avid code brakes failure !

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid code brakes failure !
Posted: Apr 3, 2011 at 22:30 Quote
stompeinator wrote:
strokers aren't without their fair share of problems as well. The new primes look pretty solid, but i dunno anyone with them yet
i rode the new primes at rays mke this last weekend and they are legit

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 11:13 Quote
SRAM's "awesome warranty" had my lyrics in chicago for 3 months two summers ago. To replace bushings. I'm guessing the actual work took about an hour, maybe less. They basically ruined my summer for riding

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 7:00 Quote
Avid Code brakes from 2007, 2008, 2009 had this issue. Its a very known issue. I know ppl got new brakes from Avid, but might be hard to get new if your brake is 3-4 years old.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 7:25 Quote
kim1 wrote:
Avid Code brakes from 2007, 2008, 2009 had this issue. Its a very known issue. I know ppl got new brakes from Avid, but might be hard to get new if your brake is 3-4 years old.

I was able to warranty my brakes one time. After that, they only replaced the internals and the service work had to be paid for. The warranty was great the first time they broke, not so much the second time around (although they did what they could). Hopefully after this latest service I won't have any issues with them. I have the 2009's, but if things don't start looking up, I will probably go to Saints next season. I have heard good things about the new codes, but after spending so much on them and being disappointed, I might just check out another brand.

Posted: Sep 24, 2011 at 23:50 Quote
from reading this thread and others on this site it seems like everyone on pink bike loves the codes. I have had the codes for about 4 years now.

Never had an issue with my fronts love them.

my rears that's a different story last year my lever seized as I was riding at my house (flat ground). I took it in and they sent it to sram cost me $125 and 3 weeks of riding. Got my bike back drove to whistler and as I'm unloading exact same problem. I rode whistler the entire day with only a front.

Ok so I get back home take the bike into the shop and wait about a month and a half. Avid decided to send me a new brake. Cool I got a new brake I should be ready to rock.

Well today I took the dog for a walk and instead of walking with him I decided to ride my bike. Well 5 minutes into my ride I noticed the brakes were having a hard time returning. So I laid off of it for a while and then tried to use them again 3-4 minutes later and I felt a click and I knew that was it.

After spending a ton on these brakes and then having to pay to fix them I don't think I am going to get them fixed Its time to go with something more reliable.

here's the funny part: last 2 years my bike has seen whistler 4 days. and a ton of road riding (mostly dog walking, some seawall stuff). Shouldn't 4 piston brakes be good enough to handle light braking?

Posted: Sep 25, 2011 at 12:27 Quote
I had Juicy carbons with code calipers this season on my Turner dhr, nothing but trouble even after complete rebuilds on them. After all the high end components I have on the bike these are by far the worse piece of crap. My season is done with because of lack of time so those codes are removed and sitting inches from the garbage can. Next brake system, Hope or Formula.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 19:04 Quote
^Go saint. My rear codes were replaced by Saint...now my fronts are finally going...Blank Stare

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 19:25 Quote
We are talking about DH riding. Everything breaks eventually it is a fact of sport. Im pissed because my piston broke on my codes yesterday at Highland! Wait maybe that is because I crashed and put my brake through my friends spokes. Whoops lol.

Every brakes have their problems. I know with the older year codes they had a problem with pistons and air bubbles. Alot of it with brakes also has to do with maintenance. I didn't read the whole thread but from what I saw at the beginning of the thread with this guys indignation that something could possible break on his bike I am assuming he isn't someone who works on his bike much.

I have only had codes for a couple rides and they are the new ones so I don't have too much experience. From what I have seen though they have been super reliable and they came with a good factory bleed. I do have good experience with SRAM costumer service.

Just be sure to read more then one story about what people think about a product or company because on experience does not tell all

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 19:26 Quote
justa10custom wrote:
stompeinator wrote:
strokers aren't without their fair share of problems as well. The new primes look pretty solid, but i dunno anyone with them yet

They looked like such a bitch to bleed! It was between them and the codes and i honestly got the codes because i didn't want to bleed the stroker aces

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
justa10custom wrote:
stompeinator wrote:

They looked like such a bitch to bleed! It was between them and the codes and i honestly got the codes because i didn't want to bleed the stroker aces
They are'nt that bad to bleed

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 11:05 Quote
I agree that everything brakes, nothing lasts forever. I expect to replace parts after normal wear and tear, but in my opinion the amount of riding I did in the last 2 years is not normal wear and tear.

here are the brakes I have run and the length of time:

Juicy 7 2seasons and rough riding (pads twice)
hayes nine 4 seasons as my spare bike with people just rat bagging them (3 sets of pads)
juicy 5 for 1 season also on spare bike.
Code 1 full season and 2 years just around the house ( still on original pads).

majority of the riding is whistler.

guess which brakes have failed? yup only the codes and twice (technically 3 times but I'm only going to say twice)

Iv decided to try the hayes stroker aces. If those aren't good I am going to splurge on some Hopes.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 11:31 Quote
Hahahahahaha.....ohhh wait mine failed too Frown

My 2008 Codes, worked like a charm till both master cylinders went almost at the same time. Now i'm running some original hayes (off my old 2002 dh frame) and not a problem in the world. Damn, could use another pair of those ol school brakes....

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 18:08 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
Every brakes have their problems. I know with the older year codes they had a problem with pistons and air bubbles. Alot of it with brakes also has to do with maintenance. I didn't read the whole thread but from what I saw at the beginning of the thread with this guys indignation that something could possible break on his bike I am assuming he isn't someone who works on his bike much.

My codes failed after 2, count em, 2 rides. Both of which certainly did not warrant the 8" of travel i've got, and probably would have been better suited to my trail bike. The point is that i wouldnt expect the level of fragility and unreliability that ive experienced with my 2010 codes out of uber-lightweight xc brakes, let alone avid's top tier dh brake. I've got 3 generation old saints on my trail bike hosed up to cheapo deore levers and those brakes have had the crap beaten out of them, yet i've only burned 2 sets of brake pads and have experienced no failures whatsoever in the 4-5 years that i've ridden them.

Needless to say my next brakes will not be avid...

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 20:56 Quote
well I bought a hayes stroker ace rear and thought I would try it out. I only bought the rear because I wasn't sure if it was going to live up to the code because I read a lot of forums and it seems pinkbikers drink a lot of hayes haterade.

(test done in whistler bike park with the exact same riding day as my last day on codes, 5 runs following my gf who I can walk faster then, and then 5 runs crank it up, a line and freight train mix)

with an avid code front, and a hayes stroker ace brand new pads on the code and brand new stroker aces.
( I have straight line levers on my codes so that was obviously an improvement)

-I don't use a ton of brakes but I found with the stroker ace I didn't have to use the fronts nearly as much as I did with the codes. (I forced the fronts to test them with each other, as much as you can test a front vs a back).

-I found the modulation to be a little less then the code but not seriously noticeable. (I liked this feeling of power on demand)
-I liked the lever adjust on the aces much better, 100x better the codes adjuster is worthless
-The aces had less modulation but they seemed to have way more stopping power.
-I liked the fact I didn't have to pull 3 inches to get the bike to stop
-I didn't like the lever on the aces I didn't on the code either thats why I have straight lines
-Aces look so much better on the bike

My opinion and I do mean mine not yours or your friend who is a dope rider. I am going to order up the front stroker ace with some twenty6 levers. ( I believe that's whats referred to as putting my money where my mouth is.)

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 9:20 Quote
How on Earth have people had so much trouble:S
I've had my codes since 2007 and they've been beat to shit.

At one point my rear derailleur cable snapped, went through my spokes, and got caught in my saw-blade style rotor bending it while at speed. The result was a chunk literally machined out of my rear break caliper and one pad ripped right out in between the rotor and caliper! How nothing broke or exploded is beyond me. Three years after that incident, everything is working 100%. I have no lever play, no stuck levers, no funny brake issues. I just bleed them once a year! Incredibly easy tooBig Grin

I honestly think they are one of the most durable brakes ever!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028423
Mobile Version of Website