Starting dirt jump need some help...

PB Forum :: Beginners
Starting dirt jump need some help...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 17:01 Quote
so im new in "extrem bike rinding" and i wanted to know some specification to help me in dirt jumping.

so im learning dirt juping but my hands are pretty destroyed at trying to learn so should i buy a pair of glove?

my actual bike is an oryx energy (a shit) but it's a 250$ downhill bike so what dirt bike should i buy?? my friend got a specialized but it's a lot of moneyfor a bike 2000$ so do you have a recomandation.

can i practice my dirt jump whit my mtb?

and what accesorie do i need??

Smile

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 at 8:11 Quote
I to started not that long ago i started off jumping with my full sus done the jumps fine then i went off and bought a HT and its soo much better you have more control and its just a nicer feeling i bought a UMF Hardy 3 for £550

Gloves are a must along with a helmet (Full face or Pisspot) Id also recommend Knee/Shin guards

As for a bike get a HT best for learning on go for bikes from the last couple of years like a Kona SHred 08/09 if your starting out they're cheaper than a brand new bike and can handle the hits
Steve Smile

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 at 8:31 Quote
OK, I'm going to agree with and add to what Steve said:

*Full finger gloves are a must, they stop you getting blisters and scraping your hands up! A helmet is absolutely essential, don't ever ride without one, brain damage isnt fun.

* As for bikes, its not about having the one with the most exciting parts or the lightest bike, its about reliability. You will be crashing and bailing alot so its important to have a bike that can take it.

If you're on a budget I'd say get a hardtail (no rear suspension to go wrong) as this will be stronger, lighter, cheaper and also teach you the basics of bike riding before having rear suspension as another thing to learn to deal with.

Single speed is good. You dont need gears for dirt jumping and having only one gear means less to break and also saves weight and money.

*Technique: Find some table tops or small doubles, as many different shapes as you can and just practice. You will crash alot and the more you ride, the more you learn!

So in summary, buy gloves and when your bike breaks buy a good value dirt jump bike. Good luck! :-)

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 18:00 Quote
ok so full hand glove, helmet and a hardtail bike this should help me...

about how many $$$ am i going to need???

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 9:06 Quote
pelletierm8 wrote:
ok so full hand glove, helmet and a hardtail bike this should help me...

about how many $$$ am i going to need???

No idea sorry champ, you'll have to ask another canuck!

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 12:21 Quote
so iv'e found a bike named santa cruz JACKAL it's 600$ (not to much) and a lot of people said it was a a good bike so...

but now is there someone who know where i can find one in the Quebec or is there someone that can sell me one at a reasonable price...

i found gloves. but now i need a helmet and some protection.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 12:22 Quote
pelletierm8 wrote:
so iv'e found a bike named santa cruz JACKAL it's 600$ (not to much) and a lot of people said it was a a good bike so...

but now is there someone who know where i can find one in the Quebec or is there someone that can sell me one at a reasonable price...

i found gloves. but now i need a helmet and some protection.

I'm pretty sure thats $600 for the frame only. If not, its a sweet deal!

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 13:18 Quote
shit it's only frame Frown

i think im going to buy one on the forum that is in the quebec is that a good idea??

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 14:07 Quote
i found one this time it's a scott it's about 600 $ Smile and it's not only frame

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 3:30 Quote
pelletierm8 wrote:
shit it's only frame Frown

i think im going to buy one on the forum that is in the quebec is that a good idea??

Buying second hand means you can get a bargain and you can get a better specced bike for the same money.

However, when you buy a bike from brand new, you get a guarantee with it. Also with a new bike, you know that all the parts are brand new and working well. Sometimes with a second hand bike parts can be worn out...

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 18:50 Quote
ok so going for a new. maybe kona shred it the okay one i found. not to $$$ and guy said it's solid so...

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 8:13 Quote
gloves will cost in between 10-30 and full face will cost around 50+ brand new and a proper dh bike will cost to much to start on and a dj bike will cost around 250+ for a decent one, a bmx wont cost alot probs around 150-400, a cruiser like mine will probs cost something like 300.

youre choice

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 11:15 Quote
cruiser-racer848 wrote:
gloves will cost in between 10-30 and full face will cost around 50+ brand new and a proper dh bike will cost to much to start on and a dj bike will cost around 250+ for a decent one, a bmx wont cost alot probs around 150-400, a cruiser like mine will probs cost something like 300.

youre choice

Mate he needs prices in canadian dollars. not pounds sterling...

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 5:18 Quote
oh welll i dont know the prices over there

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 6:04 Quote
it's almost the same price it's 1,259$ for 1€ Big Grin

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011499
Mobile Version of Website