DJ/Street Build Reccomendations

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
DJ/Street Build Reccomendations
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 14:26 Quote
Hey Guys,
This will be the first bike I've built from the ground up, so I need a bit of help lol I have some basic things decided on, but I could use your help as well! I am building on a budget, the only reason I'm going with this frame is that its on sale on CRC and the frame is something that I've wanted for a while. Im going for a purple, black and chrome theme, with chrome and purple being dominant.

Frame: Spank Tweet Tweet - Chrome
Fork: Marz DJ3 2009 - black OR if I can find a good used fork in the GTA area - if you have one FOR SALE hit me up! - brand doesn't matter, as long as theyre in good condition
Rims: Tweet Tweet 30L rim - Purple
Handlebars: Tweet Tweet 30mm rise - Purple
Stem: Tweet Tweet - black
Chain: Tweet Tweet - purple
Seat Clamp: Tweet Tweet - purple
Front Chainring: Tweet Tweet - purple
Spacers: Tweet Tweet - purple

thats it so far!

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 16:27 Quote
Too much tweettweet lol. Spank rims are heavy and flexy. If you can get them, then go for Alienation(I run 440s).

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 16:28 Quote
rokor wrote:
Too much tweettweet lol. Spank rims are heavy and flexy. If you can get them, then go for Alienation(I run 440s).

yea haha i know but im going for it cause i know all the purple will match Wink but yea ill check out those rims!

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 16:57 Quote
sounds like someone likes spank...

anyways i would reccomend a different fork dj3's are awful and would just ruin the feel of what would otherwise be a great bike. if you are going to be riding strictly street then i would reccomend a rigid fork but if you do want to go with suspension then invest a bit of money and get something good because there is nothing worse then a cheap suspension fork, it just feels like there is a pogo stick attached to the front of your bike. so if ytou were to go with suspension i would reccomend a marzo dj1, marzo 4x, rockshox argyle, rockshox pike, manitou gold label or a manitou sherman wich i have on my p.3 and i actually like more then my pike that i used to have.

also some more crucial parts that you might like to think about would be cranks, hubs, tires, headset, seat, grips and possibly a brake if you like going slow.

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 17:05 Quote
gabe would you sell your sherman? haha and yea ill be doing more djs than street so i need a fork. what about DJ2's?

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 17:14 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
gabe would you sell your sherman? haha and yea ill be doing more djs than street so i need a fork. what about DJ2's?

dj2's arent even much better, the dj1 is the only one from that line which i would ride. i might think about selling my sherman as i have gone rigid now pn my p.3 but i like it so much that i might want to keep it incase i ever went back to suspension not to mention that i also put a ton of money into getting it completely rebuilt.

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 17:24 Quote
yea true enough, i had to rebuild my 40s last summer, it sucked Frown but im on a pretty tight budget haha so ill have to find a good used one then

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 17:25 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
yea true enough, i had to rebuild my 40s last summer, it sucked Frown but im on a pretty tight budget haha so ill have to find a good used one then

yeah you could probably find a used argyle for pretty cheap.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 1:38 Quote
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:

anyways i would reccomend a different fork dj3's are awful and would just ruin the feel of what would otherwise be a great bike. if you are going to be riding strictly street then i would reccomend a rigid fork but if you do want to go with suspension then invest a bit of money and get something good because there is nothing worse then a cheap suspension fork, it just feels like there is a pogo stick attached to the front of your bike. so if ytou were to go with suspension i would reccomend a marzo dj1, marzo 4x, rockshox argyle, rockshox pike, manitou gold label or a manitou sherman wich i have on my p.3 and i actually like more then my pike that i used to have.

also some more crucial parts that you might like to think about would be cranks, hubs, tires, headset, seat, grips and possibly a brake if you like going slow.

I thought it was recommended to have a smaller amount of travel for street and DJ? Those Manitou Shermans have 130mm, wouldn't you say that's a bit big?

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 4:55 Quote
You can lower them...

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 5:29 Quote
not sure if anyone has said this but the spank frame is a bit more of a DJ frame,low BB etc. you would be better off with a dob or NS sub for street

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 6:50 Quote
Bamb00zle wrote:

I thought it was recommended to have a smaller amount of travel for street and DJ? Those Manitou Shermans have 130mm, wouldn't you say that's a bit big?

they come with different amounts of travel, mine came at 110mm

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 7:24 Quote
Bamb00zle wrote:

oh sweet Didn't know that! Also what's wrong with the DJ 3's? I'm running them atm and they seem ptretty nice tbh , the rebound isn't too strong though they would be nicer with a rebound adjuster.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 11:41 Quote
Bamb00zle wrote:
Bamb00zle wrote:

oh sweet Didn't know that! Also what's wrong with the DJ 3's? I'm running them atm and they seem ptretty nice tbh , the rebound isn't too strong though they would be nicer with a rebound adjuster.

i dont have any personal experiencce with them but a lot of my friends have had theirs fall apart.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012708
Mobile Version of Website