Frame To Replace Transition Double!!!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Frame To Replace Transition Double!!!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 15:07 Quote
I do a lot of dirt jumping and slalom riding but I also do a lot of single track trail riding, pretty steep uphills and some good technical downhills with lots of small drops and jumps. I built this bike as a do it all for this riding, it weighs in at about 31.5 pounds-

photo
photo

I initially loved this bike, it jumps and corners like no other, very quiet and smooth... however it pretty much sucks for climbing which took me by surprise. I used to climb with my P2 alright and this is way worse.

I then built this bike for my GF on the cheap (350 bucks) although they are rare and expensive frames-
photo
This bike climbs and rips through trails like no other, with the parts spec from my Double it would be crazy. I find myself riding it more than my Double, however I havent jumped it or done anything technical with it at all. I cant find one bad review on the bike, people seem to think what I think

Bike Radar review-
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/king-11031
MTBR Reviews-
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-suspensio/kona/the-king/PRD_413184_1526crx.aspx

So, do I swap frames and sell the Double frame, do I find a completely different frame all together, or do I stick it out with the Double? I like shorter travel so 100-120mm max for suspension. Not sure what will hold up for a lot of jumping.

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 17:43 Quote
id stick with the double. im sure you will just get used to the uphills. uphill to me is just terrible, i wish i had something like your double hahaha

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 17:49 Quote
I got used to the P2 for climbing, this Double is almost impossible. Any power into the pedals with the seat up on a slight incline and the front end just pops up into the air. The only way to climb is to stand up and lean forward, absolutely blows for extended uphills. The King climbs like a billy goat, I don't even have to touch the pro pedal. I basically want the King but built up to the burliness of the double. I think I would Snap the King frame.

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 17:52 Quote
I say pick whichever one feels best to you overall, seems to be the Kona, and put get rid of the other one. Idk how the Kona will hold up to jumps and drops as well as the Double or not, but if the reviews you find say it will and it rides better for you i'd stick with that. Comfort/Fit of the bike to your ride style should be just as important a component as the frame itself, to a degree atleast. So if one is fitting that much better for the sort of riding you're doing now i'd go with that frame. i hate riding a bike i'm not comfortable or happy climbinb/descending/cornering on.

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 17:54 Quote
yeah dude i know your pain. iv went from an xc bike to a all mountain and then to a dh, each time uphills got worse and worse. have u checked out the parker frame ? there decent and cheap

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 17:59 Quote
I was originally looking at the parker frame before the double but the quality issues scared me off, I heard you have to run them with like a 130mm plus fork to feel right and I don't want that.

I want to find the geometry numbers for the king so I can do some comparing, the Howler looks similar and is made for jumping. The reviews for the King dont really talk about frame strength, more about feel and weight. I know it wont be as strong as the Double, the King simply wasn't built to be ripped off dirt jumps all day which is why I am really debating this. How come there are so few short XC ish geo bikes that will handle any real abuse?

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 18:12 Quote
the bass would be a safe bet also

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 23:08 Quote
Double - nice bike on good parts. What problem using 3th pro-pedal position on uphils? I think double greate bike for jumping, but if you instal CB seatpost - uphils will better.

Riding technikal mini DH i think not problem, if you have large riding expirience. In my location not have mount, wee rige DH wit different from up to down - nearly 60 meters, and for this great bikes with Front/rear travel: 100-130mm/HT or 100-120 / 100-120 full suspension bike

If 100mm rear travel enought for you - riding and don't think about this

It's my opinion, sorry for language error's

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 23:33 Quote
I always use pro-pedal for climbing, the thing bobs like crazy if I dont. The biggest problem is the short back end and the super slack seat post angle, whenever I pedal I move 6 inches forward and my front tire rises up 12.

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 23:57 Quote
Here are some samples of the park I ride at most often-

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 23:58 Quote
sfrider wrote:
the bass would be a safe bet also

BB pivot= mad pedal bob.

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 6:32 Quote
I think there arent many XC geo bikes that are built real burly just because of the market specialization in mtb'ing these days. I mean i know some of my first XC bikes when I was younger were very beefy and handled anything and everything(to an extent) i could throw at them. But that was long ago, even before full sussy bikes had come to the forefront in the market, when there werent tons sub categories of mtbs. you either had a bmx, mtb, or road bike basically. And I did break a few frames taking too large a drop every once in a while.

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 6:55 Quote
The Banshee Rampant seems to fit your needs perfectly.

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 8:52 Quote
I like my Blur 4x. I do some jumping and single track riding and it works good for everything. That doesn't mean I can't justify having 4 bikes.

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 8:58 Quote
King i think was a full on xc rig and will only take so much abuse,have to go with the above and say the bass/cowan fs.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016326
Mobile Version of Website