Powered by Outside

Fiberglass DH Bicycle

PB Forum :: Downhill
Fiberglass DH Bicycle
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 0:01 Quote
More and more i have been seeing carbon parts and carbon frames for DH or Freeride and a while ago people would say it wasn't strong enough at least the ignorants would say cause its has been proved that carbon has a much higher tensile strength than aluminium or titanium.

But i wanted to know if its possible to do a Fiberglass bike.
According to Wikipedia Fiberglass has a ultimate tensile strength between 3450 and 4710 MPA while Aluminium is 483 MPA and even Titanium which is 900 MPA, Fiberglass has virtually the same density as Aluminium so it would weight as much as an aluminium frame.

I want constructive answers, not it would snap, it would break.
By the data i just showed you it would work, so now tell me why it wouldn't?

PS: The fiberglass i'm talking about is Weaved fiberglass just like the ones used on Top end Speedboats not the mold making one that looks like cotton.

Thanks

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 0:04 Quote
gt and cannondale have both made fiberglass bikes in the past, so yeh its do-able... as for pro's and cons... seriously why are you asking for intelligent answers on this webshite?

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 0:08 Quote
Possible... But I would go with carbon I'm big into rc boats and have a boat capable of 100+ mph... It's carbon I've seen one that's a carbon/Kevlar hybrid hit the shore at 80+mph and survive with little damage... (a big 20kg thing) but some of my fibreglass hulls seem flexible compared to the same boat in carbon

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007805
Mobile Version of Website