Sprocket/Cassette/Crank Help - Lower Gear Ratio

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Sprocket/Cassette/Crank Help - Lower Gear Ratio
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 6:47 Quote
Here's what I have now. https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4652642/

I am an XCer getting into a bit of DH. I just purchased this Reign and find I wish my low gear was a bit lower. There are hills I generally climb, that I cannot on my new rig. OK you can skip the "you're old" jokes, this I already know.

Anyone here run into this type situation?

When I look at the bike my assumption is the way I need to get where I want to go is to change my front crank to something with about 32 teeth instead of 38... I'm just guessing. I believe it would make the crank smaller, give me more ground clearance, and the lower ratio I'm wanting...

IS changing out the front crank the way to go or would you change the rear cassette?

If I am correct and I'm looking for a Front, Can I just replace the sprocket? My assumption is no because now the bash guard is much larger than the sprocket.

Would anyone be kind enough to share some links of possible parts you'd use to get the desired effect I'm lookin for?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 6:54 Quote
What range cassette you got? Could just put a larger one in.

38t is a high main gear, I use to run 36t with wide range cassette and be fine, see if you can borrow a mates first to try it out

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 6:55 Quote
Buying a smaller ring will work fine. You will need to check your chainguide spec, but it should be adjustable down to cope witht the smaller ring. If not you will need a new chainguide. The crankset does not need replacing at all. Maybe go for a 34 rather than a 32.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 8:04 Quote
joshleb wrote:
What range cassette you got? Could just put a larger one in.

38t is a high main gear, I use to run 36t with wide range cassette and be fine, see if you can borrow a mates first to try it out

Rear Cassette
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4652632/
SRAM PG-990 I just counted the teeth, it's 11-32

Would this be considered "Wide Range" joshleb?
I see they offer an 11-34 in the same cassette but I'm not sure 2 teeth is going to be enough to make the uphills?

How do I know what "sprocket" I can put on the front? I appear to have a "Stylo Crank w/ 38t e-thriteen ring and 2010 e-thirteen LG-1+" according to the ad from which I purchased the bike. Can I jsut goto a local dealer and grab any 34 tooth and try it out, or are the different bolt patterns/compatibilites I'll have to deal with.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 11:07 Quote
The cassette won't make much difference. Any four bolt chainring should fit. The 3mm FSA dh one is pretty good, or if you want something a bit more classy you could grab an e13 g ring Smile

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 17:08 Quote
Thank You both. I like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55190

I'm going to count the teeth on my xc bike and figure out the ratio I'm wanting, then decide whether to go 34t, or go 32t and new guard.

Thanks again.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 8:32 Quote
DO I need to remove any chain links when dropping my chain ring from 38t to 32t?

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 12:04 Quote
MTBNiagara wrote:
DO I need to remove any chain links when dropping my chain ring from 38t to 32t?

NM, sorry I found the answer and even some good measuring instructions!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010487
Mobile Version of Website