How to get WD40 out of brake pad / off rotor

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to get WD40 out of brake pad / off rotor
Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 6:52 Quote
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
Icculus19425 wrote:

did anywhere in my post did I say that bike disc brakes are any different then automotive brakes??

yea you did right there....^^^^

ahh...your clever...lol

tup

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 9:24 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:
Icculus19425 wrote:

yea you did right there....^^^^

ahh...your clever...lol

tup

I thought that too.:P

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 at 5:44 Quote
What i did was ... take the pads out of the calliper, then rub the pads up against a rough wall to make them clean on the top surface then completly cover the pads with clean streak then light it up with a lighter. what this does is it burns off any dirt or oil that is on the pads or in the pads... works every time Salute

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 at 13:33 Quote
Sir-Dirty-BIker wrote:
What i did was ... take the pads out of the calliper, then rub the pads up against a rough wall to make them clean on the top surface then completly cover the pads with clean streak then light it up with a lighter. what this does is it burns off any dirt or oil that is on the pads or in the pads... works every time Salute

every time? do you consistently get WD-40 on your pads?

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 1:52 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:
Sir-Dirty-BIker wrote:

Haha... no i mean like if i ever need to clean my pads thats what i do :L

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 12:57 Quote
not worth it , onch you have oil on the pads it then contaminates the disk , give the disk a good scrub and buy some new pads

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 13:02 Quote
coca cola is great for both.

as is just rubbing some mud on for a quick fix.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 19:16 Quote
QuinBaird wrote:
coca cola is great for both.

as is just rubbing some mud on for a quick fix.
Believe it or not, this does in fact work in a pinch... well, it did for me anyway.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 8:05 Quote
i accidentally spilled some brake fluid on my pads/rotor. is getting it off any different than what's in this thread?

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 8:19 Quote
No you'll need to get that sorted, personally i'd get new pads, but you can use cleaner and sand them down if you don't want to shell out

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 9:17 Quote
voltagejosh wrote:
No you'll need to get that sorted, personally i'd get new pads, but you can use cleaner and sand them down if you don't want to shell out

Does muc-off work for cleaner? I need to sand down the pads anyways to keep it from rubbing.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 9:39 Quote
DandelionDan wrote:
voltagejosh wrote:

Does muc-off work for cleaner? I need to sand down the pads anyways to keep it from rubbing.
Doubt it would make much difference, unless its this Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/muc-off-disc-brake-cleaner-26334.jpg

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 13:48 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:
Sir-Dirty-BIker wrote:

Lmfao

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 13:50 Quote
lloydie123 wrote:
not worth it , onch you have oil on the pads it then contaminates the disk , give the disk a good scrub and buy some new pads

Well said. There's only one answer to this age-old question.

1) Clean rotor with rubbing alcohol and wipe dry.
2) Throw pads into bin and order brand new pads.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026050
Mobile Version of Website