Ti springs

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 0:32 Quote
If you like the rate you have now get it again. If you are close but not quite go up or down 50lbs. Pretty simple. You'll like Ti springs. they are much more supple.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 0:54 Quote
Ye well I know quite well that the desired sag for dh which is what i do is around 30 - 33%, and I'm not quite getting that not. I dont often bottom my shock, maby only on bad cases so I dont see any harm in going to 400 lb instead of 450 which is what i have now.

what u think

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 1:06 Quote
if you're not able to get that sag, then yes, it would be safe to run a 50 lb lighter spring.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 1:07 Quote
ti springs are awesome - the spring rate never changes through the stroke like steel springs that stiffen up as they are compressed. Ti springs never loose their bounce and are about half the weight of a steel one.

-edit-

if your not able to get the sag you need, you must get a spring for a longer shock say a 2.80 or a 3.00 - that way the spring sits higher up the threads on the shock body and will have a lot more sag for you to use / adjust.

unless of course your spring is just way to hard for you.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 4:42 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
ti springs are awesome - the spring rate never changes through the stroke like steel springs that stiffen up as they are compressed. Ti springs never loose their bounce and are about half the weight of a steel one.

-edit-

if your not able to get the sag you need, you must get a spring for a longer shock say a 2.80 or a 3.00 - that way the spring sits higher up the threads on the shock body and will have a lot more sag for you to use / adjust.

Steel springs are exactly the same as ti ones, apart from ti ones are lighter.
You will not get any better performance out of a ti spring than you would out of a steel one apart from it should last longer.
Why do people keep thinking that ti is a wonder spring material and it will make you bike amazing??

http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/springcalc.htm use that to work out your perfect spring weight

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 6:32 Quote
^^^^ dude you are way wrong on that one!!!!!!! Dang. My shock felt like a completely different unit when I switched to a Ti spring. For the better, way more active and sensitive to small bumps and chatter. To me the weight savings was a bonus, but nothing compared to the performance gain.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 7:52 Quote
shacabahalla wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:

-edit-

You will not get any better performance out of a ti spring than you would out of a steel one apart from it should last longer.
Why do people keep thinking that ti is a wonder spring material and it will make you bike amazing??

http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/springcalc.htm use that to work out your perfect spring weight

hmm well obviously you dont know anything about the properties of titanium, so i'll let you off!
repeating myself again - especially for poor uneducated people like yourself.

The spring rate never changes through the stroke of the shock, unlike steel springs that stiffen up as they are compressed. Ti springs never loose their bounce and are about half the weight of a steel one.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:16 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
shacabahalla wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:

-edit-

hmm well obviously you dont know anything about the properties of titanium, so i'll let you off!

The spring rate never changes through the stroke of the shock, unlike steel springs that stiffen up as they are compressed. Ti springs never loose their bounce and are about half the weight of a steel one.

I think its you with no knowledge of how springs work and the properties of titanium because a ti spring will offer no benfits in performance, only weight saving.

The rubbish you said about a steel spring ramping up and a ti one not is complete crap because a springs motion is linear regardless of material.

In the end i think it is people reading all the benefits that companies claim on the packageing then feeling good, and you would want to feel good if you have just spent 1-200 quid on a weight saving of about 2-300 grams.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:24 Quote
shacabahalla wrote:
I think its you with no knowledge of how springs work and the properties of titanium because a ti spring will offer no benfits in performance, only weight saving.

The rubbish you said about a steel spring ramping up and a ti one not is complete crap because a springs motion is linear regardless of material.

In the end i think it is people reading all the benefits that companies claim on the packageing then feeling good, and you would want to feel good if you have just spent 1-200 quid on a weight saving of about 2-300 grams.

The difference is in the rate at which they are capable of working. Because of the significantly lower mass the spring accelerates faster. This gives them much better small-bump response and better vibration damping. The vibration damping is also a function of the spring's frequency response. It really is a night and day difference. They don't however ramp up at all. That is made up.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:24 Quote
shacabahalla wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:
shacabahalla wrote:

you totally dont know SHIT! lol your just plain wrong - now go and do your research and quit talking about what you dont know.

titanium is a memory metal meaning it always springs back to the shape it was fist cast as. this means that it NEVER looses is springy qualities, and does not stiffen up as it is used.

now shut the hell up - your wrong. just google 'ti spring benefits' and read your own downfall.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:26 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
shacabahalla wrote:

The difference is in the rate at which they are capable of working. Because of the significantly lower mass the spring accelerates faster. This gives them much better small-bump response and better vibration damping. The vibration damping is also a function of the spring's frequency response. It really is a night and day difference. They don't however ramp up at all. That is made up.

who said they ramp up??

i meant that unlike a steel spring that stiffens as you use it e.g- if you have a stroke length of 2.8 inches the spring will he stiffer when 2.7 inches are used as opposed to 1 inch.

titanium springs do not do this - the spring rate stays constant

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:28 Quote
the spring rate is constant on either Ti or steel.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:31 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
shacabahalla wrote:

who said they ramp up??

i meant that unlike a steel spring that stiffens as you use it e.g- if you have a stroke length of 2.8 inches the spring will he stiffer when 2.7 inches are used as opposed to 1 inch.

titanium springs do not do this - the spring rate stays constant

i took "stiffen up" as you wrote in your post as it is harder to compress when it is at nearly full travel, that means the spring rate has ramped up ok.

And i googled it and i clicked on the first link took a glance and the people agreed with me
Titanium offers no performance improvements over a steel spring.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:32 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
the spring rate is constant on either Ti or steel.
And that is also totally correct

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 9:32 Quote
Have you ever spent much time on a Ti spring?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010748
Mobile Version of Website