What's the Trek Session 8 like?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What's the Trek Session 8 like?
Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 5:10 Quote
be warned mate trek wont rapaire any damage. even if the frame snaped id be surprized if they replaced the frame. i would examine the terms and conditions closely. Personaly as nice/good a bike as it is, it dent to easily for that amount of money, but enjoy

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 5:47 Quote
slihp wrote:
be warned mate trek wont rapaire any damage. even if the frame snaped id be surprized if they replaced the frame. i would examine the terms and conditions closely. Personaly as nice/good a bike as it is, it dent to easily for that amount of money, but enjoy

they'll replace it if it snaps, they just don't replace it if it dents. trek warranty tends to be quite good

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 6:03 Quote
I got a 2010 recently for £2500. As the 11 is £3500, I thought I'd better get in there. Compared to price of other bikes, this was a bargain. No probs so far, very nice to ride. Pretty nimble, not had to adjust that much coming from a 6" bike. I would say that the bike is not that light, as the components are pretty basic. I've not ridden much rocky stuff, so can't really say much about the dent issue. The 3 year warranty covers racing too.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 7:00 Quote
I picked up a second Hand Session 8 for £2000, could not justify £3500 for the 11 one which doesnt seem that much difference between the 10.

So far iv not tested it on proper Downhills yet but on a test ride it feel nimble, good on the jumps fast through corners and very stable.

Its not bad for the weight too but it wouldnt take much to knock a few lbs off here and there and get rid of the Bonty stuff.

Check the Geometry as well, im only 5ft 9 and i got a large and it feels fine.

Also does anyone know if Trek plan on selling the new Downtube Guard seperatly???

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 7:19 Quote
RobB1984 wrote:
Also does anyone know if Trek plan on selling the new Downtube Guard seperatly???

Far as I'm aware, no, mainly because the new downtubes on the 2011 Sessions are slightly curved, whereas the 2009 and 2010 are flat. An old tyre is a pretty good solution, cut to fit the downtube, otherwise there are some guys making custom carbon protectors, but not cheap and difficult to get hold of.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 7:35 Quote
Gutted!!! Probably would have been a good marketing idea.

I have tried to find a Carbon Guard but they are hard to find, but thes is a guy in Oswestry who can do it but needs the Bike to mould one so i may pop over at some time and get one made.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 8:14 Quote
Mate, if you do get one made, there's two more of us that would be interested in having one too, perhaps if he's able to use your bike as a template he'd able to start selling them at a reasonable price. Are you likely to contact him soon? If so, would he be able to give an idea of price for a couple of these guards? Also, have you a link to any of his work? Fancy a nice carbon guard but some of them look soooooooo tacky! :-)

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 8:20 Quote
one of the guys who rides with us has is own carbon moulding company... so far he has made two chain devices.. one for a mate amd one for me.... they are lighter then any other chain device available and in four months no dropped chains (: .. haha slightly off topic

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 8:26 Quote
norcorider121 wrote:
one of the guys who rides with us has is own carbon moulding company... so far he has made two chain devices.. one for a mate amd one for me.... they are lighter then any other chain device available and in four months no dropped chains (: .. haha slightly off topic

Off topic but none the less useful! Has he any links to images etc? Would he be interested in making carbon downtube guards for a Session? I know at least 3 people that want one, and there must be a huge market for all those 2009 / 2010 Session riders!!

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 9:28 Quote
heres a carbon bashring he made.. all drilled out
photo
and sorry no close ups of the chain device... you can kinda see it here though
photo

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 9:28 Quote
cydaps wrote:
Mate, if you do get one made, there's two more of us that would be interested in having one too, perhaps if he's able to use your bike as a template he'd able to start selling them at a reasonable price. Are you likely to contact him soon? If so, would he be able to give an idea of price for a couple of these guards? Also, have you a link to any of his work? Fancy a nice carbon guard but some of them look soooooooo tacky! :-)

Thanks!

That is the plan once i get home and get a date i will take it over for him to mould probably in the next 2 weeks or so.

Hes done some or the Giant Glory and Faith and a few others and his link to some of his work is here and looks pretty sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MTB-Carbon-Fibre-Rock-Guard-for-Giant-Glory-Faith-2010_W0QQitemZ140477115099QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=170436830539&rvr_id=170436830539&cguid=2df6a8481290a0e203e72037ff221c7c

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 9:42 Quote
norcorider121 wrote:
heres a carbon bashring he made.. all drilled out
photo
and sorry no close ups of the chain device... you can kinda see it here though
photo

That looks pretty cool. Love carbon and this looks like a nice piece of work! Quite interested if it really works and is as good as an e13!

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 9:43 Quote
He's done some pretty good work with the downtube protector, could definitely be good to find out pricing and whether he's interested in the Session as another market for him.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 9:51 Quote
cydaps wrote:
He's done some pretty good work with the downtube protector, could definitely be good to find out pricing and whether he's interested in the Session as another market for him.

He said he would do it when i got the Session so thats a positive but not got a price yet so i will get back in touch with him and see but i wouldnt expect it to be that much more than the Glory one.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 10:09 Quote
RobB1984 wrote:
cydaps wrote:

I said he would do it when i got the Session so thats a positive but not got a price yet so i will get back in touch with him and see but i wouldnt expect it to be that much more than the Glory one.
Yeah those are really clean!! I want one for my session! Please PM me if they do become available. Thanks and cheers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020296
Mobile Version of Website