Post Your Coilers

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Coilers
Posted: Sep 3, 2013 at 4:22 Quote
I tried a Fox RP23 on my Coiler and compared with my RC4 it felt like shite through the rock gardens on my trails. I sold it after a few weeks. I'm biased towards coil shocks because they feel better, but they do come with a weight penalty. I don't care about weight because I walk up steep hills. If I was riding my coiler as a trail bike I would certainly consider using air (the new Fox DHX replacement or RockShox Monarch Plus) as it will shave a pound off the bike weight. You can also save weight in a lot more areas such as drivetrain, tyres, rims, seatpost , saddle and converting all your bolts to Ti.

Posted: Feb 8, 2014 at 11:30 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
I tried a Fox RP23 on my Coiler and compared with my RC4 it felt like shite through the rock gardens on my trails. I sold it after a few weeks. I'm biased towards coil shocks because they feel better, but they do come with a weight penalty. I don't care about weight because I walk up steep hills. If I was riding my coiler as a trail bike I would certainly consider using air (the new Fox DHX replacement or RockShox Monarch Plus) as it will shave a pound off the bike weight. You can also save weight in a lot more areas such as drivetrain, tyres, rims, seatpost , saddle and converting all your bolts to Ti.
Yeah i have the same problem with mine, i'm selling it as we speak...
MY fully custom kona

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 23:55 Quote
TTTT wrote:
Here is my Kona coiler after a complete strip down, raw and new bearings, whilst waiting for my collar bone to heal...

Kona Coiler stripped rawed new bearings and a few new parts
Kona Coiler stripped rawed new bearings and a few new parts.

Dang. Good job. Want to do the same with mine. Any suggestions for doing as good a job as you did? What did you use as a stripping agent? How long did it take? Also, did you finish it with anything (lacquer, wax, polish)?

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 15:05 Quote
[PI=11628332 size=l0 align=c]

Plans for my custom Kona Coiler with a new frame front triangle.

For a while now I've been looking to change my Coiler to new school geometry (longer and lower) and after comparing lots of brands with 160mm travel bikes I found the Yeti SB66 had similar geometry to my bike, but also had the two features I needed to copy : a longer front end and lower BB. The longer front end would give me the room to use an inline seat post instead of the setback and get me more in the middle of the bike while seated. In the standing/descending position the low BB and longer wheelbase would give me more stability and confidence.
I put my ideas to my steel frame maker friend at Manufactured by Grelck. He took on the project and produced my new front end in 4130 CrMo.
Final figures: TT 23mm longer / BB 15mm lower than the standard Kona Coiler Med 2007. We lowered the BB more than the Yeti. It's in line with the new crop of bikes with a BB height at around 340mm such as the Santa Cruz Nomad, Orbea Rallon (low setting), GT Sanction etc..
I love the result - feels perfect.
.[/PI]
Plans for my custom Kona Coiler with new frame front triangle. I was looking to modify my Coiler to new school geometry longer and lower and after comparing lots of brands with 160mm travel I found the Yeti SB66 one of the best 26 bikes ever made had similar geometry to my bike but also had the two features I needed to copy a longer front end and lower BB. The longer front would give me the room to use an inline seat post instead of a setback and get me more in the middle of the bike while seated. In the standing descending position the low BB and longer wheelbase would give me more stability and confidence. I put my ideas to my steel frame maker friend at Manufactured by Grelck. He took on the project and produced the new front end in 4130 CrMo. Final figures TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower than the standard Kona Coiler Med 2007. We lowered the BB more than the Yeti. It s in line with the new crop of bikes with a BB at around 340mm such as the Santa Cruz Nomad GT Sanction Transition Patrol Orbea Rallon low setting etc.. I love the result - feels perfect.

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 15:15 Quote
Custom Kona Coiler 2014. New front triangle steel 4130 CrMo . TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower.
My custom Coiler rebuild 2014.

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 12:00 Quote
photo

my first..Coiler Primo

Posted: Oct 4, 2016 at 3:00 Quote
Anyone still riding a Coiler and anyone modified one and brought it upto date with new parts?

I just sold my 2007 and replaced it with a Santa Cruz Nomad.1 which is a sick bike but there's honestly a part of me that misses the Coiler!

Posted: Oct 4, 2016 at 4:29 Quote
Well yes. As above!
New parts- Fox Van 36 RC2 fork/RC4 Shock, Saint cranks & brakes, XTR shifter/cassette/derailleur/chain, Hadley hubs/DT Swiss comp spokes/Stans Flow rims, Minion DHF EXO tyres, Easton stem/Answer Pro Taper 780 bars/Santa Cruz Palmdale grips, Thomson seatpost/WTB Devo saddle, VP Harrier pedals.
New custom built front frame section 23mm longer & 15mm lower BB.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018525
Mobile Version of Website