Headset Problem

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Headset Problem
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 3:12 Quote
Hi,

Recently my headset came lose, so as you should, I tightened it
However all that was doing was rotating the 'mashed' starnut in the steerer tube
After managing to get that out, I bought a new one, got the LBS to install it but as soon as I put the forks back in the headtube and tightened everything up the exact same thing happened and the starnut is deformed again!

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Pitch.

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 4:58 Quote
Tightening it too much, not enough spacers, too much spacers, whatever. Anyway get a headlock those would solve all your starnut problems!

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 at 1:30 Quote
Cheers for your help,

How does a headlock work though?

Pitch.

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 at 3:57 Quote
It goes straight through to the bottom of the steerer, so it doesnt have to wedge inside. Its like a big nut and bolt.

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 at 5:37 Quote
are you tightening the headset with the stem loose? If you try to tighten your headset with the stem tight you will screw up the star nut everytime.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 0:50 Quote
Ok! Right the next problem is, is that I am running 2007 Pike's and there is something at the bottom of the steeer tube, it is threaded and i dont know why it is there! Can you think of another solution?

I think the stem was lose,

Here is a pic of the bottom of the pikes:
photo
photo

Pitch.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 1:27 Quote
Funnily enough that looks like the bottom of a headlock, although i've never owned a Pike so i dont know.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 4:29 Quote
Might sound funny but I think it's made for a fender? You could try to find a bolt that has the same size thread as it. Or you could try one of these: http://www.woodmancomponents.com/Web/Product_CoverB.asp?Sel=CB&CAID=CA20101004141524&CBID=CB20101007111438&Lng=EN&Time=2010/11/25%20%E4%B8%8B%E5%8D%88%2008:28:57

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 4:35 Quote
I might be able to screw into it then .. it has the same size thread as the top cap screw

Sh4rvan - it looks like that is for carbon fibre steerer tubes, you reckon it would still work?

Cheers for your help btw,

Pitch.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 4:56 Quote
Yeah I used one, though a headlock works better. If your topcap bolt screws into it the headlock bolt should do so as well...try it I guess?

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 5:03 Quote
Awesome, went on chainreactioncycles and it recommended my a hope hed doctor? you reckon its a good idea?

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 6:19 Quote
Looks decent enough, I would opt for the headlock though, find a friend that has one so you can see if it fits the thread on your Pike, or go to your LBS and see if you can test it there...

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 6:49 Quote
I use a gusset headlock. The problems were GONE. Ive never touched it since.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 23:39 Quote
Awesome! Cheers for your help Smile

Pitch.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 6:47 Quote
May work but not needed. If your star nuts are getting mashed then you are doing something wrong. Be sure that your steerer tube does not come all the way to the top of your stem or it will never fully tighten. The clamp stem needs to be little more than finger tight when you adjust your head set, if the stem is tight you will never tighten the head set and just wreck the star nut. So with the stem loose and the steerer tube slightly lower than the top of the stem tighten the top cap and with the bike vertical you should tighten the cap until there is no play but the bars will freely fall side to side. If you tighten too much it will bind and wreck your bearings.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011431
Mobile Version of Website