Giant reign 2008 BB/crank replacement (+chainguide)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Giant reign 2008 BB/crank replacement (+chainguide)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 13:40 Quote
Hello, i have to replace the original Race Face Crank (damaged) / BB with a Shimano Deore (price!).

Also i would like to run a 22-36 with a bash and a chainguide (Stinger - BB mount)

Should i expect any problems with compatibility/chainline ?
(washers to fix the chainline or compensate for different BB width come with the new 2010 Shimano Deore crank/BB ??!!!)

Any problems with mounting the stinger chainguide due to the maestro linkage around the bb ?

Anything i should know before putting the thing apart (not mine btw > ) ?

I already checked this sites... so i guess at least i know to which side the BB unscrews :> (i have pressfit on mine atm)
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cartridge-bearing-type-bottom-bracket-service-bbt
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/external-bearing-crank-systems-hollowtech-ii-megaexo-giga-x-pipe-x-type-campagnolo-ultra-torque

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:06 Quote
Wait - you have a press-fit bottom bracket? This means your Reign is a 2011, right?

If you have a press-fit bottom bracket you cannot mount a BB-mount chain device.

At the moment, AFAIK (and hopefully someone will prove me wrong) there is no 2-ring chaing device compatible with a press-fit BB - only the one-ring chain device made by E13/The Hive, and I'm not sure if they are available yet.

The press-fit BB can't really be replaced - you just get new bearings and use the spacers.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 at 6:55 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
Wait - you have a press-fit bottom bracket? This means your Reign is a 2011, right?

If you have a press-fit bottom bracket you cannot mount a BB-mount chain device.

At the moment, AFAIK (and hopefully someone will prove me wrong) there is no 2-ring chaing device compatible with a press-fit BB - only the one-ring chain device made by E13/The Hive, and I'm not sure if they are available yet.

We've got the XCX.ST in house...as far as I know the HighClamp version works around the Shimano DirectMount FD on a Trance...your frame might be similar.

Other distributors (such as Chainreactioncycles.com should have the XCX.ST in house within the next few weeks.

A Seattube mount guide is really the only option on pressfit bottom bracket rigs without ISCG tabs.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/reign.frameset/7323/44751/

Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 at 10:48 Quote
why did i even mention it .... i should`ve known someone would misunderstand that one...

I have the press fit BB on MY bike (hint:profile/pics).
Reign isnt mine .... just wanted to put in perspective why im even asking about it ... or something >

We are still talking about the giant reign 2008 with a ?SIZE? external bearings BB and an additional BB mount type chainguide.

thnx

btw, the pressfit can be replaced all together... there is just a lack of good available options for some types (if you gave up looking for one, RESET (germany) is the way to go )

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009972
Mobile Version of Website