Edit: looks like i was beaten to it, but nevermind...
Nm (Newton Meter) is a force, or more specifically a unit of torque, rather than a sumber of turns. It is the equivalent of applying a force of one newton to a lever one meter long.
A newton is, in simple terms, the force of gravity acting on a mass of approx 100g - this obviously only applies on earth, but thats all you really need to concern yourself with.
If you need to tighten something to 1Nm, and you're too pikey to buy a torque wrench, I suppose you could fashion a 1m long lever for your allen key, hold it horizontally, and hang a 100g weight off the end. This is pretty imprecise, but should do the job if youre bothered.
Alternatively, just do it finger tight with the small end of the allen key, then pinch it up with the big end. 1Nm, is nearer "not too tight" than "I need a longer allen key"
Edit: looks like i was beaten to it, but nevermind...
Nm (Newton Meter) is a force, or more specifically a unit of torque, rather than a sumber of turns. It is the equivalent of applying a force of one newton to a lever one meter long.
A newton is, in simple terms, the force of gravity acting on a mass of approx 100g - this obviously only applies on earth, but thats all you really need to concern yourself with.
If you need to tighten something to 1Nm, and you're too pikey to buy a torque wrench, I suppose you could fashion a 1m long lever for your allen key, hold it horizontally, and hang a 100g weight off the end. This is pretty imprecise, but should do the job if youre bothered.
Alternatively, just do it finger tight with the small end of the allen key, then pinch it up with the big end. 1Nm, is nearer "not too tight" than "I need a longer allen key"
Thanks and FYI i spent all the money i have on a full drivetrain and bars/grips so i can't afford a torque wrench atm.
Yeah, torque wrenches are actually quite expensive, I've never bothered with one and not hand anything come loose on me yet. After a while you get a feel for how tight things need to be
Yeah, torque wrenches are actually quite expensive, I've never bothered with one and not hand anything come loose on me yet. After a while you get a feel for how tight things need to be
Thanks for the advice and btw I wasn't meant to sound nasty in my last post sorry mate.