Budget carbon frames (ebay chinese specials)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Budget carbon frames (ebay chinese specials)
Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 12:26 Quote
andrzejbubez wrote:
peoples peoples calm down this is not about how high your IQ is or that you have legitimate parentage. I am mearly throwing out the thoughts of the cost effective options that are out on the common market freely available to all if they so choose.

when i upgraded my bike to its current evo level i supplied the parts to the local bike shop (evans) and even purchased a few more items in their sale and asked them to stick it all together. they did with speed and good workmanship.

Thus if I so purchase one of the said frames I will thereofre transfer and sort out as much of the bike as i possibly can and ask for friendly advise and may need to buy one or two items to complete the setup.

Some peoples advice i take on board and some i take with a pinch of salt,if the link you posted is anything to go by then the frames look as though they have been tested sufficiently.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 12:29 Quote
marquis wrote:

Some peoples advice i take on board and some i take with a pinch of salt,if the link you posted is anything to go by then the frames look as though they have been tested sufficiently.

+1.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 12:30 Quote
lloydie123 wrote:
marquis wrote:
lloydie123 wrote:

you get the idea i said you will only replace the frame once , he may replace it more than once so yes actully it may cost more than a grand , all im trying to say is dont buy the frame because it is shit , finsihed !!

It's shit based on your opinion as you work in a bike shop,use the cash register much.?

its based on what i know and what everyone else at the bike shop knows , people that work at a bike shop know much more than you do , why cant you just face the fact that this frame is a load of shite , get it into your head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why would a bike shop that is trying to make money by selling you a expensive CF frame that looking into a Chinese CF frame that probibly came out of the same factory is a good option? No shit they said they are not worth it.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 14:14 Quote
Swearing, fighting and general abuse aside, I think that your best option is just to get yourself a nice Aluminium frame and save yourself all the worry about will it break, can it be replaced for free etc etc. If you can't afford a £400 frame then have a look at the On One Scandal or On One 456. As I said, I've got a scandal and it's worth about twice it's £235 rrp and now it's discounted at £135! I say grab yourself a bargain.

And all you guys that were fighting and arguing like little kids in a playground (with somewhat stronger language) I don't mean to get all high and mighty on you but; GROW UP. This is just a guy's thread looking for some advice, let's keep it that way alright? We are all here because we share a hobby / interest / way of life. Rant Over!

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 14:26 Quote
Barnseyhcxc - i already have a very light weight ali 20" mtb frame if you check out my profile. very happy with it, bought it back in 1998 just before the mailorder company went belly up. never had any issues with it stands me just over a grand in 12 years isnt bad as that works out at a cheapo halfrauds heavy weight clunker each year i have had this bike.

had thought about changing to a full suspension frame as per my other thread but I am wary of the additional weight compared to the existing configuration. so then started looking at other possibilities, but for the time being there is no change in the entire bike until i can get the funds together.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 14:30 Quote
fair play, sounds like a good plan Smile

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 15:21 Quote
If you do go carbon they won't take the stress that your fork gives.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 15:25 Quote
marquis wrote:

The head tube I'm guessing?

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 15:27 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
marquis wrote:

The head tube I'm guessing?

Yes,long travel single crown forks flex more than a dual crown.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 17:20 Quote
you could always buy a chinese carbon frame, move the stuff from your current bike to it, then if you do have any issues with it (cracking,snapping etc.) you still have your old frame to fall back on

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 19:51 Quote
I know that a lot of these brandless frames come from the same Taiwanese factories as top bikes, but I personally would not buy one. You have no warranty, no customer service, no support of any kind, and the quality is a gamble. Real companies charge money because they pay engineers to design their products and pros to test them. Plus if you push the frame hard enough and it snaps on you, hospital bills are gonna outweigh the money you saved on the frame.

That being said, there are some budget companies out there.

Sette (www.pricepoint.com’s brand) offers a full carbon frame for $600 USD, and aluminum frames from $75 USD, and a full suspension for $370 USD: http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/278---price-0-1-14-000000000M.htm

MBA magazine recently reviewed a complete Sette and they said it was crazy good for the money.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 19:54 Quote
That might actually be the way to go $74 or around 55 Euro seem's like a great deal.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19505-175_SETRK9-278-Frames--/Sette-Reken-Hardtail-Alloy-Frame.htm

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 19:58 Quote
There is a very good chance that the pricepoint bikes and the cheapo carbon bikes are made by one and the same mfr.

Top end mfrs have been doing it for years with carbon copies of pedals and other bike parts so why not frames,it stands to reason that these mfr places have the ability to make frames so it seems highly unlikely that they would invest this much money into making the frames just to sell them on at 200 quid a pop,same as the price point frames,they are old designs that have maybe been sold onto the mfr plant so they can make money out of them.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 20:01 Quote
No doubt about that. All I was saying is $74 for a new frame seems to be a great deal.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 20:06 Quote
wavo wrote:
No doubt about that. All I was saying is $74 for a new frame seems to be a great deal.

Ah sorry wasn't directed at you or any one in particular,but maybe if the doubters understood where there bikes come from and how the mfr cycle works then they would understand a bit better.

If price point are selling a frame for $74 and they had to import it and pay for it and they make a profit,how much did the $74 frame cost to make,people over look this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014676
Mobile Version of Website