Where can I get 26x3.0 tyres
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 2:51 Quote
the1nonlyj wrote:
Halo Contra's come in 3's

I've only been able to find them in 24" though

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 3:27 Quote
mongoose-rider wrote:
how does a bigger tyre allow you to go over harsher ground? :s

It keeps more rubber on the little ground there is ( jagged not smooth ) & allows lower pressures so you get some wrap without getting near your rim, this means better stability & control without pinch flats or rim damage. A long time ago I used to ride a GT LTS with an MX6 fork, too often the 3" Gazza at the front would stomp over rock gardens & the rear would blow out on edges because it was smaller & so running much higher pressure. I may be wrong but I'm a firm believer in overkill, lack of confidence in my kit will only slow me down. My aim with my last few builds has been to build something that will take more abuse than I can give it, this way all I need to worry about is riding & not if my bike will last till I get to the bottom. Eliminate as many niggles & concerns from your mind as possible, a clearer more focused mind makes you faster. Use clipless pedals, same reason.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 3:37 Quote
Im sure the Surly Pugsly uses 3x26. Cant remember who makes the tyres tho

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 3:41 Quote
These... Tho im sure thats the same tread pattern as the Gazza. http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=tysu-larry

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 6:17 Quote
I've got a Pugsley mate & the tyres are a bit too big for the rear of the Appy at 3.8 for an Endo or 3.7 for a Larry ( a 3" is the max ). I have considered putting a Larry in the front though just cause it will easily fit in my new Bigfoots & has a lateral tread pattern Big Grin

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 6:30 Quote
shame your not 24, the bigger nokians seem to be few and far between these days. Think Nokian sold the bike tyre side to another Finland based company under another name.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 6:39 Quote
I've not got the rims yet but I don't really want 24's even if I can have the 3" tyres because they're smaller diameter so everything you hit will feel bigger. That said I have a 24" Gazza, I might have to see what it looks like on a rim compared to the 26x2.7 intense I've just got. If there's not much difference in diameter I might have my arm twisted.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 6:43 Quote
Ive a pair of 24x3 contras i chuck on occasionally. usually if im riding on the beach as theres some really cool stuff my way but involes a lot of landing on shingle and soft sand. From experience, my 24x3s are only fractionally smaller in overall diameter than most 26's.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 6:44 Quote
Cant believe you have a Karpiel! I would do things I might later regret to get my hands on one!

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 6:50 Quote
I reckon your probably right about the tyres fella, it was only when compared to 26x3 they look small really & I can't get them. Couldn't believe my luck with the Appy, came up cheap on Ebay & I couldn't not buy it. Even though it meant I was skint for ages sooooooooo worth it.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 7:09 Quote
In the Unicycle world everyone uses DURO WILDLIFE 26"x3.0", they are heavy as hell but they are 3 inch and won't pinch or puncture.

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/tires-tubes-rim-strips-and-valve-caps/26-29-36-inch-tires/duro-racing-wildlife-leopard-26-x-3-0-dh-tire/

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 7:15 Quote
You've just made my day mate, if I was that way inclined I'd kiss ya but I'm not. Cheers, only £28 here too nice one.

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 10:05 Quote
ManiacInBlack wrote:
mongoose-rider wrote:
how does a bigger tyre allow you to go over harsher ground? :s

It keeps more rubber on the little ground there is ( jagged not smooth ) & allows lower pressures so you get some wrap without getting near your rim, this means better stability & control without pinch flats or rim damage. A long time ago I used to ride a GT LTS with an MX6 fork, too often the 3" Gazza at the front would stomp over rock gardens & the rear would blow out on edges because it was smaller & so running much higher pressure. I may be wrong but I'm a firm believer in overkill, lack of confidence in my kit will only slow me down. My aim with my last few builds has been to build something that will take more abuse than I can give it, this way all I need to worry about is riding & not if my bike will last till I get to the bottom. Eliminate as many niggles & concerns from your mind as possible, a clearer more focused mind makes you faster. Use clipless pedals, same reason.
Low preassure and wide tires also roll like crazy, which slows you down sssoooooooo much in corners. I can guarantee a narrower tire is faster.

Look at the WC bikes and see what they run.....

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 at 2:57 Quote
I put the 3" Gazza on a rim, it's 30mm taller than the 2.7 intense 909 on the same rim.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 at 13:41 Quote
So you recieved the tyre then bud? :Cool :

Gc

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015723
Mobile Version of Website