** BuySell Safety and Tips (Copyright ©)

PB Forum :: Beginners
** BuySell Safety and Tips (Copyright ©)
Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 8:52 Quote
Thanks! New here, hi everybody

Mod
Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 8:54 Quote
Oldhipster wrote:
Thanks! New here, hi everybody
welcome!

Posted: Oct 5, 2023 at 15:07 Quote
I just did a few purchases here and used Goods$Services. Now the sellers are all upset with me because they are told by PayPal that they must wait out 21 days before PayPal releases their money. I am looking like an a&^hole now having pushed them to use this.
Firstly please add the min 7day delay for any transaction and 21day for newbies into the information bit in the beginning. I had uncomfortable conversations with two persons where I had to defend myself that I am not a scammer.

Posted: Oct 22, 2023 at 15:04 Quote
I'm trying to post a road bike for sale. I get all the way through posting the info and it says I can't post the same day as creating my account and I need to wait a day. I created my account yesterday. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 26, 2023 at 7:32 Quote
Scam Alert.

There was a post yesterday that was obviously a scam. It was for an S-Works Aethos that was $4300.
photo
After nearly 40 exchanges back and forth to get to a level of comfort on a transaction, the post was deleted along with all the messages. Fortunately, I have screenshots of all but the last three messages in the link below so you can see how the conversation went. Maybe this will help others to avoid being scammed. link

In the second to the last message I tell him I really want the bike, but give him 9 reasons I am suspicious and also tell him I understand he may think I am a scammer and we should work to find a resolution. I also suggest that we do what is recommended by Pink Bike: -

"If you are buying make sure they have paypal and ask them for their postal code and address, use the post code and
check it out on google maps.

-Ask the seller to sell through ebay on 'Buy It Now' plus pay by paypal. This is good if you're selling or trading bikes or
large items and are shipping across the country as you're 100% covered if the item you bought is damaged, or if you
get scammed."

He then offers to accept a deposit, but failed to provide his postal code and address. I asked for those again and asked again if he would sell it on Ebay, and told him once I verified his postal code and address I would send a $100 deposit. I never heard from him again. The post and all the messages disappeared.

Thanks for posting good content to keep people safe. Also, I have a question. If this was a legitimate post and it was sold then the seller removes the post, do my message get removed too?

Mod
Posted: Oct 26, 2023 at 11:06 Quote
good that you avoided the sale. Usually the messages do not delete when a listing is deleted, but when a user is banned.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2023 at 13:17 Quote
So is it strange a guy posts a nice bike with a very good price and he encourages you to but with paypal goods and services, he made an account here on oct the 10th and on the 12th he listed the bike. Is it strange not to want to post a photo with him and the bike or his id? Thx

Posted: Dec 26, 2023 at 6:15 Quote
Why do some sellers insist on sending an invoice ? How can I verify the seller's name and location ?

Posted: Jan 6, 2024 at 10:42 Quote
New tip added to original post:

j) *NEW TIP 2024* - Ask the seller for a live Zoom call to show you themselves and the bike/item they're selling, if an expensive bike or part. This can confirm if they're actually legitimate

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 4:11 Quote
Hello,

I'm new here. I was searching on the web for places to sell some bike stuff that I have and found this place. Thank you for the tips.

Regards!

Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 1:53 Quote
Hi guys
Im from Kazakhstan, month ago in my short visit to London Ive tried to arrange purchase a bike in UK(forbiden druid), faced with a problem that seller suspect me as a cheater and refused to deliver me a bike for cash payment, I explained that I cant travel far away becuse Im not local and short of time.
How can I arrange purchasing a bike in a safe and friendly way for seller? What rules should I follow and what should I say/act to buy a bike!

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2024 at 21:16 Quote
Look at this transcript form a user potential/buyer:
3 days ago
SousChef says:

would you consider putting the original lower linkage back on this fame?

3 days ago
Macropod says:

Sorry no. I have the original linkage in my medium enduro.

2 days ago
SousChef says:

why take the carbon linkage from this frame and mis-match parts?

2 days ago
Macropod says:

? Because I put the carbon linkage on my medium endure because the large is too big for me. Why is that any co cern of yours?

2 days ago
SousChef says:

yo chill. im just asking some questions. I wouldnt message you if I was not interested. just trying to understand some things. I want to build a bike to go ride with my dad. So from my understanding is 2020 enduro came with X linkage, and you have now replaced it with Y linkage from another bike correct? are the linkages the same size? why swap them at all? kind regards.

2 days ago
Macropod says:

I have and ride many bikes. I have an SWorks enduro Large; I wanted a smaller frame. I bought a smaller frame, and put the sworks linkage on it. Why you ask? All endured frames are exactly the same except for size. The only difference is the S works has a carbon linkage to save weight. Therefore; I’ve made my medium frame lighter by adding the linkage. The linkage is the same size regardless of gram size. Again, this is all irrelevant with respect to the listing. The listing is clear, if you want it cool, if you don’t cool.

2 days ago
SousChef says:

ahh I see. I would like the OEM linkage to go with the bike. thats why I was asking if I could get the carbon linkage to match the carbon frame. if not, would you be willing to do 1.8k as I would need to source a carbon/oem linkage.

2 days ago
Macropod says:

The linkage is OEM lol. Where are you located?

1 days ago
SousChef says:

BRUH this is the original linkage? we going back and forth for no reason im based in WA

14 hours ago
Macropod says:

OEM means original manufacturer. The linkage from the bike came directly from specialized. Like if a take a picture of both my frames side by side, maybe it will clarify things for you. Either way, I don’t think this conversation has to continue. Sounds to me like you’re looking for something else.

3 hours ago
SousChef says:

so you dont want to sell the frame set to me?

1 hours ago
Macropod says:

I’m not going to haggle. It’s for sale for the listed price.

37 mins ago
SousChef says:

I hope your wife miscarries :-) c*ck sucker

Posted: Mar 20, 2024 at 14:03 Quote
Potential scammer username docherty86. Has a listing for hope tech 3 brakes for unrealistic price. I messaged him because you never know and it’s worth asking. He then asked for my address without ever sending a PayPal invoice. Suspicious account, no real photos, no history.
The scammers are taking over the buy sell trade and it’s really frustrating because it’s such a great asset.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Macropod wrote:
Look at this transcript form a user potential/buyer:
3 days ago
SousChef says:

would you consider putting the original lower linkage back on this fame?

3 days ago
Macropod says:

Sorry no. I have the original linkage in my medium enduro.

2 days ago
SousChef says:

why take the carbon linkage from this frame and mis-match parts?

37 mins ago
SousChef says:

I hope your wife miscarries :-) c*ck sucker

Can't believe this guy Souschef would hope for the death of a human being because it didn't work out for him to buy a bike frame. Literal psychopath.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
road-psyclist wrote:
New tip added to original post:

j) *NEW TIP 2024* - Ask the seller for a live Zoom call to show you themselves and the bike/item they're selling, if an expensive bike or part. This can confirm if they're actually legitimate

Love this idea, and have successfully used it. Facetime and Google Meet are also options.

Unfortunately the Buy Sell Tips state to keep all communications within PinkBike chat, so some legitimate sellers are hestitant to do this or even a simple phone call. And of course on the other hand, the scammers use that as an excuse why they won't verify with a video call.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008923
Mobile Version of Website