Fixie Build plan.

PB Forum :: 29ers
Fixie Build plan.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 21:20 Quote
you realise you can have a front brake and the front brake gives more than 70% of the braking power? and braking with your legs is a good thing, it builds more muscle so can pedal more efficiently, gives you the confidence to pedal around corners at speed to

and above has another great point, you can feel the wheel slip and stop your self sliding out, or be good at skidding and control it, like for example when it was properly icy i just took the front brake off because it was pointless, i was safer just relying on my legs

another thing, my mate has a SS roadbike, a old raleigh and in the wet he can pull his brakes on full and he stops slower than me slowing down gently on my fixed gear, found that weirdly funny

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 21:26 Quote
Fair play, I can't really speak from experience yet as I don't have my SS built yet, depending what the future holds I'll probably buy an old bike as a beater to go to the shops and I'll get a wheel with a flip-flop hub so I can have a go at fixed to see what it feels like.

I just think I'll end up running SS as I don't like the sound of a fixed gear, but as I said it's just my preference....

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 21:32 Quote
whats not to like the sound of?

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 22:06 Quote
The sound of my teeth breaking when I go arse over head over the bars lol Razz

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 22:18 Quote
Knowing me I will, I saw this vid of a fixie rider going over the bars somewhere on the internet, knowing my luck I'll do the same, I just don't like how the pedals still spin when you're riding which puts me off the idea, I like to be in control of the drive-chain, just my preference.

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 22:49 Quote
i dont get it? it gives more control, your more connected to the bike, how can you not like it

and the dude probably had a good reason for going over the bars, track bikes have tight clearance, if your pedal hits the tire you can go over the bars or sideways

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 22:54 Quote
Not too sure it's mainly that I like to have two brakes and a freewheel to put it briefly.

I'll just leave it there, as I've kind of jacked this guys thread!

I edited out my first post on here with a link to a Fuji Track Pro frame for him.

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 22:56 Quote
i dont think he would want a fuji track pro

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 22:58 Quote
Ah right, it's because I saw he said a track frame or freestyle frame Confused

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 at 23:19 Quote
dont think he would be into getting a proper track frame, shouldnt get one anyway, would make it harder to get used to

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 16:38 Quote
i suggest going with a cruiser type of thing with a flip flop hub. i think it really helps you nail the technique involved, which would be alot harder with track geometry. when you really get into it and climb on a badass crotch rocket it wont seem like as much of a suicide machine.

i think i would have struggled like mad and gotted crazy discouraged if i had gone straight for the angus.

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 4:59 Quote
Just start with a good flip/flop wheel set throw them on a old bike and shred around town to see what you like. I found the roadie style was limiting as to what I could do like little tires = no jumping watching out and avoiding pot holes rail tracks etc.

You can fit a 700c wheel set into most 26" wheel mtb frames with up to 35- 40c tires, add some washers to the back wheel to help it fit the frame.
Just hit the yard sales for few weeks something will turn up.

and to kintek you need to just ride the locked cog and feel what's real everything else is just coasting.

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 at 21:43 Quote
also, riding one of these suckers on the street is all about smoothness. otherwise you will totally bust up rims and frames and stuff, i mean you have to jump potholes and sewer grates and shit sometimes right?. check out old skool track

Posted: Feb 27, 2011 at 8:11 Quote
don't think he's even reading this...

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014431
Mobile Version of Website