Boxxers: Avalanche vs Push

PB Forum :: Downhill
Boxxers: Avalanche vs Push
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 at 4:49 Quote
So I am getting a really sweet deal on some new Boxxer races.
Should I
A) install an avy cartridge
B) install a push cartridge a.k.a (get them pushed)
C) install a DH mission control
or
D) FTW?

No seriously, which is better?

Edit * This will go on a Scott Gambler. I like to ride techy terrain that is anything but smooth but at the same time I like to hit up the park. 3 techy days for every 1 park day. Also like long walks on the beach and riding 19 to 36 year old blonds.

Posted: Feb 22, 2011 at 5:14 Quote
lmao, loved that last bit.

have heard nothing but good things about the avy cartridge,

Push tuning was great on my shock, but is horrifically expensive for what they actually do to your boxxer, i mean read up on it and they fit a few new shims etc, than charge through the roof

mission control is a pain to fit into boxxer race lowers as they have a press fitted washer that takes up space and could be risky to remove. tf tuned have some into on this, plus its cheaper to buy a team in the first place as the parts to upgrade a race cost a fortune (rockshox stopping people upgrading for cheaps like they did on th old boxxer)

an upgrade cartridge is by far your best bet, elka and CR1 are v expensive, avalanche is the cheapest so gets my vote.
TThe avy will ride brilloiantly, avy users swear by them, its properly shimmed, easy to adjust and will be super reliable.

hope this helps, have been looking into it myself and am going to be going avy when i have some spare money!

Posted: Feb 22, 2011 at 5:45 Quote
the mission control goes on the top of the stanchion. i have it on my lyrik and totem. they're good for tect once you get it set up right.

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 at 6:27 Quote
chazdog wrote:
lmao, loved that last bit.

have heard nothing but good things about the avy cartridge,

Push tuning was great on my shock, but is horrifically expensive for what they actually do to your boxxer, i mean read up on it and they fit a few new shims etc, than charge through the roof

mission control is a pain to fit into boxxer race lowers as they have a press fitted washer that takes up space and could be risky to remove. tf tuned have some into on this, plus its cheaper to buy a team in the first place as the parts to upgrade a race cost a fortune (rockshox stopping people upgrading for cheaps like they did on th old boxxer)

an upgrade cartridge is by far your best bet, elka and CR1 are v expensive, avalanche is the cheapest so gets my vote.
TThe avy will ride brilloiantly, avy users swear by them, its properly shimmed, easy to adjust and will be super reliable.

hope this helps, have been looking into it myself and am going to be going avy when i have some spare money!

Thats pretty much what I was thinking as well. I was hoping some people have ridden both and could comment on the difference between the two. I am pretty much 95% sold on the avy. Never heard a bad comment on them.

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 4:24 Quote
Wow, this was very informative. I could really see both pros and cons of this debate. Maybe I should of tried this discussion on ridemonkey or mtbr.

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 8:58 Quote
you're lucky if you find many people here that have actually tried more than one of your options. I think I've only seen one guy who's run both an Avy and one of the nitrogen charged cartridges (Elka? could have been CR1). LOL, it was in the thread that went sideways into a nitrogen vs air argument last week. I've only seen a handful of us here that run aftermarket cartridges, period.

I run an Avalanche cartridge in my 888, and love it. I have the small-bump sensitivity that 888s are famous for, with fantastic mid-stroke and bottom out control. fork feels 5x better than any 2010 Team/WC I've ridden, especially when it comes to small bump compliance and bottom out control. with the avy cart, you also have the mid-valve option, although fork dive hasn't been an issue with mine. and it doesn't hurt that Craig is great to deal with.

I've never tried a CR1/Elka damped fork, but feel that the Avy cartridge is a step above any Mission Control fork I've played with. I wouldn't be surprised if the other cartridges perform similarly. Have never had any of my forks Pushed, nor have any of my friends that I know of, so can't comment on how much of an improvement you'll see on a motion or mission control Boxxer.

IMO, go with an aftermarket cartridge.

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 11:44 Quote
I have a 2010 boxxer team and I'm not sure if it was a lemon, or a case of way too many knobs to turn, but even after sending it back for warranty, a few rebuilds by the shop and lots by myself, I could never get it to to feel that great.

When the Avalanche cartridge came out I decided to pick it up rather than buy a whole new fork and as soon as I dropped it in the fork it felt way better than I could ever get the boxxer to feel before. It eats up everything from big to small and still doesn't dive badly during braking or g-outs. Not sure if you've ever ridden the old Marzhocchi Monsters, but they perform a lot like those did only at half the weight.

I really love it and I have to say it's the best fork I've ridden. I'm now waiting on another Avy cart that'll go in the lyrik on my pedally bike.

Boxxer race+Avy cart=cheapeast high performance fork you can get as far as I'm concerned.

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 13:53 Quote
Mad-Duck wrote:
I have a 2010 boxxer team and I'm not sure if it was a lemon, or a case of way too many knobs to turn, but even after sending it back for warranty, a few rebuilds by the shop and lots by myself, I could never get it to to feel that great.

When the Avalanche cartridge came out I decided to pick it up rather than buy a whole new fork and as soon as I dropped it in the fork it felt way better than I could ever get the boxxer to feel before. It eats up everything from big to small and still doesn't dive badly during braking or g-outs. Not sure if you've ever ridden the old Marzhocchi Monsters, but they perform a lot like those did only at half the weight.

I really love it and I have to say it's the best fork I've ridden. I'm now waiting on another Avy cart that'll go in the lyrik on my pedally bike.

Boxxer race+Avy cart=cheapeast high performance fork you can get as far as I'm concerned.

love how monsters ride, i am sold on the avvy cart, with that and a protone air cart (hopefully here this week!) you can have the lightest dh fork and a fantastic performer too Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2011 at 4:35 Quote
Thats what I am talking about ^^

I have never heard a bad thing about Avy. Super, super plush and tuned for you not the masses. And it really doesnt matter if you have a boxxer, 888 or a 40. Essentially its an avy. Boxxer race is just the cheapest option. I am going to get the avy, but in a few months. First I have to fly to the U.S to see family and pick up the boxxers there. After a few more paychecks once I am back home I will order the avy cartridge.

Posted: Feb 25, 2011 at 4:37 Quote
Just one question. Is the mid valve option really needed? What excatly does it do?

Posted: Feb 25, 2011 at 4:41 Quote
Boardlife69 wrote:
Just one question. Is the mid valve option really needed? What excatly does it do?

avy sums it up quite well, it ramps up a bit more to stop brake dive, but nobody seems to have huge issues with brake dive on the normal valved kit.

i'd say if you like your suspension real soft go for the normal, but if you wanted it stiffer for jumping big stuff go for the mid. I'd talk to avalanche and describe your riding to them and see wich they reccomend, the guys there are supposed to be super helpful.

Posted: Feb 25, 2011 at 5:10 Quote
chazdog wrote:
Boardlife69 wrote:

avy sums it up quite well, it ramps up a bit more to stop brake dive, but nobody seems to have huge issues with brake dive on the normal valved kit.

i'd say if you like your suspension real soft go for the normal, but if you wanted it stiffer for jumping big stuff go for the mid. I'd talk to avalanche and describe your riding to them and see wich they reccomend, the guys there are supposed to be super helpful.

Thanks. I see they offer a cartridge for domains. Now thats even cheaper, but heavier. I think I will stay with the boxxer avy set up. White boxxers would look sick on my bike.

Posted: Feb 25, 2011 at 6:35 Quote
chazdog wrote:
Boardlife69 wrote:

x2

I rock soft springs in my '06 888, weigh somewhere in the 160lb range with gear, and have found no need to go with the mid-valve kit. brake dive isn't really noticeable (nothing like when the fork was stock). if you race, the mid-valve kit may be beneficial, but I haven't found the need with my fork.

best guy to talk to would be Craig at Avalanche. he knows his products, and is a great guy to deal with. I've heard similar good things about the customer service at Elka, never hurts to give different shops a call so that you get exactly what you want.

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 2:17 Quote
Any one tried the protone kit it is only 115 euros

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 2:18 Quote
Also the elka Kit is made in france and you can buy it direct for around 120 euros

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014409
Mobile Version of Website