2008 Kona stinky VS 08 Demo 7 I

PB Forum :: Downhill
2008 Kona stinky VS 08 Demo 7 I
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 16:12 Quote
brix wrote:
konastinkysrule wrote:
the demo is a wicked bike and now kona has done a lot of upgrading to the bike such as the suspension and think you would have 1400$ left for upgrades then you could get the parts you wanted thats what i did and im satisfied
I'd get the Kona for sure. So many kona haters out there. Kona's are at least designed by guys who live and ride on the north shore, not some guys at specialized in california on groomed trails. I own 2 Kona's and they have been more dependable then any of the norco's or specialized's i have owned.

Very true. I've only owned Kona's (Shred and Coiler) and by far my coiler has stood up to anything and everything. From crashes at speed, running into trees, and 10 foot drops. so that is why I'm a bit on the kona side of this.

But since the Ollie was brought up, That would definitely be a bike to be considred.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 16:48 Quote
obee1 wrote:
comoxdh wrote:
jonathancole wrote:
Have you considered a Norco ? The Atomik seems like a steal for the parts spec and basically an 07 Team DH frame. And you get the Specialized FSR suspension on it.

I've got a thing about norco's. My dealer here I dont trust. so Norco's are outta my question.

And on holding out a few months, I've still gotta ride em both. And once I do, that'll be my decision. I'm not going to make it just on looks, and price, and what everyone else says. I've gotten from everyone Except for the shop to go for the Demo.

your not the first to say that about norco's. i went in to buy a norco for my wife, she hated it the moment she rode it around, and i got on it and felt the same way. we bought an ollie 2 and are stoked for next season. hmmmmm, ever think of an ollie? i would guess the avarage guy on an ollie would be a faster then the same guy on a demo, but he would have more freeridey fun on the demo. know what i mean?

I'm not defending norcos, but I fail to see how this has anything to do with the quality or build of the norco.

1)Women complain, they will find anything about anything to complain about
2)No bike feels right the moment you get on it, because you're used to you old bike. My friend Crazy Nick's demo 8 feels like a clumsy piece of garbage when I get on it after a day of riding my hardtail Kona with DJ3 forks. Is it clumy garbage ? Hell no it just doesn't feel right until you spend a bit of time on it.
3)You got on a bike and it didn't feel right (see #2) and in addition, the bike was fit your your wife, not you, so you're commenting on a bike you're not used to that doesn't fit you.

My 08 Norco A-Line Park has very similar geometry to the Atomik, and after a few minutes of riding it, it felt great, and comes with a great build. To the OP, it sounds more like you don't like the dealer, not norcos themselves. Take an Atomik for a ride, buy it from the dealer you don't trust, and then get the dealer you DO trust to srvice it and supply parts. The chances of you needing service on the norco specific parts are pretty slim. And any dealer can work on fox, marz, sun, e thirteen etc.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:26 Quote
Ollie is a swwet ride as well. Find a shop that you dig, with staff that ride and actualy know what they are talking about, then pick a bike. Lot's of amazing bike out there, not all that many amazing shops.
jonathancole wrote:
obee1 wrote:
comoxdh wrote:

I've got a thing about norco's. My dealer here I dont trust. so Norco's are outta my question.

And on holding out a few months, I've still gotta ride em both. And once I do, that'll be my decision. I'm not going to make it just on looks, and price, and what everyone else says. I've gotten from everyone Except for the shop to go for the Demo.

your not the first to say that about norco's. i went in to buy a norco for my wife, she hated it the moment she rode it around, and i got on it and felt the same way. we bought an ollie 2 and are stoked for next season. hmmmmm, ever think of an ollie? i would guess the avarage guy on an ollie would be a faster then the same guy on a demo, but he would have more freeridey fun on the demo. know what i mean?

I'm not defending norcos, but I fail to see how this has anything to do with the quality or build of the norco.

1)Women complain, they will find anything about anything to complain about
2)No bike feels right the moment you get on it, because you're used to you old bike. My friend Crazy Nick's demo 8 feels like a clumsy piece of garbage when I get on it after a day of riding my hardtail Kona with DJ3 forks. Is it clumy garbage ? Hell no it just doesn't feel right until you spend a bit of time on it.
3)You got on a bike and it didn't feel right (see #2) and in addition, the bike was fit your your wife, not you, so you're commenting on a bike you're not used to that doesn't fit you.

My 08 Norco A-Line Park has very similar geometry to the Atomik, and after a few minutes of riding it, it felt great, and comes with a great build. To the OP, it sounds more like you don't like the dealer, not norcos themselves. Take an Atomik for a ride, buy it from the dealer you don't trust, and then get the dealer you DO trust to srvice it and supply parts. The chances of you needing service on the norco specific parts are pretty slim. And any dealer can work on fox, marz, sun, e thirteen etc.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:28 Quote
Buy the Kona, They're better than anything.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:31 Quote
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Kona suck balls! The suspension on the specialized is ssssooooo much better!

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:34 Quote
comoxdh wrote:
aburles wrote:
your only 14 so i would go with the stinky and save some money for a car or something. i have a 2006 stinky delux and its a good allround freeride/downhill bike for a good price. I've ridden the Demo a few times and yes it is probably a better bike but tons of people on this site just hate on kona a little to much.
Exactly what I was thinking.

so then why are you asking ppl

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:37 Quote
allday wrote:
comoxdh wrote:
aburles wrote:
your only 14 so i would go with the stinky and save some money for a car or something. i have a 2006 stinky delux and its a good allround freeride/downhill bike for a good price. I've ridden the Demo a few times and yes it is probably a better bike but tons of people on this site just hate on kona a little to much.
Exactly what I was thinking.

so then why are you asking ppl

Same reason a doctor may ask for a second opinion? Cock

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:41 Quote
kona no joke konaaaaaa are the shizominizolizzoo lol. demo ok but i personaly dont like the feel of them when riding.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:43 Quote
everything that everyone told him he said the same thing:i dont rly wana save up taht much for the demo and im leaning ont hte stinky blah blah... so why ask?
and these bikes are not even in the same price range and the demo is obvisouly a better bike. not saying its best suited but these 2 bikes are very different. but now if your talking about the stinky and the ollie, they have a similar price tag on it. this is when you ask people which one is better suited for what type of riding because they are both at the same level. but the demo is like what 4000 bucks and the stinky is 2300. thats almost 2 times the money. this is a no brainer that the demo is the better bike here

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 12:48 Quote
brix wrote:
I'd get the Kona for sure. So many kona haters out there. Kona's are at least designed by guys who live and ride on the north shore, not some guys at specialized in california on groomed trails. I own 2 Kona's and they have been more dependable then any of the norco's or specialized's i have owned.

Thats ridiculous. Guess whos testing these bikes? Ever heard of Berrecloth, Hill, Strait, etc.?`
You obviously have no clue whatsoever...
Nobody in their right mind would take a stinky over a demo for any reason apart from money.

(btw before you ask, i have extensively ridden BOTH)

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
usually i hate people twisting about grave digging threads,but from a year ago.

j-o-x you pillock.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
I've got a stinky which I'm selling right now in order to get the 09 Demo 8 I. And boy! What a difference, whereas the sticky ucks and bobs to pieces and kicks back while braking the Demo just eats it all up. If bikes where lizards, the stinky would be a newt while the Demo would prob be Godzilla. Wink So those 1400$ are well invested if you choose a Demo, it's lighter, stronger, better and has got some killer looks. Still it's personal preference, but if you get the stinky you would definetely want to pick some new parts, and before you know you have parts sweet as hell while the frame is just wal mart stuff. Stick to the Demo if you find it worthwhile getting that xtra cash.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
J-o-x wrote:
brix wrote:

Thats ridiculous. Guess whos testing these bikes? Ever heard of Berrecloth, Hill, Strait, etc.?`
You obviously you have no clue whatsoever...
Nobody in their right mind would take a stinky over a demo for any reason apart from money.

(btw before you ask, i have extensively ridden BOTH)

Brix doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Spesh has got WAY better engineers, thus their designs will be a lot more proven and tested. The more cash a company has, the better and more rigorous testing will be applied before introducing a new bike. I'm not saying that the biggest companies has got the best bikes, but usually you get what you pay for.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012084
Mobile Version of Website