How to cure streaky/running lacquer...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to cure streaky/running lacquer...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 12:47 Quote
So my problem is that i have just lacquered my frame and i need to sort the lacquer that has ran Frown will a high grade of wet and dry do the job or is their another cure? i need this sorted by the weekend so i can go for my first ride on it Smile heres a pic of the problem Frown
photo

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
looks like the lacquer is greyed of , probably easy to strip it

othwise get some p1500 , wet it flat it down , then thinner on a rag , wipe down gentley , then leave it to dry then redo it , but i cant guarrentee it will work

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 12:59 Quote
I watched wheeler dealers once and when he put the lacquer on it dried quickly and ended up flat because when he sprayed the conditions were too hot.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:04 Quote
K-Forbes wrote:
looks like the lacquer is greyed of , probably easy to strip it

othwise get some p1500 , wet it flat it down , then thinner on a rag , wipe down gentley , then leave it to dry then redo it , but i cant guarrentee it will work

eh? what has happened is the lacquer was sprayed on too thick i think Frown so it has run in streaks i was hoping that i could let it set then sand down the streaks/lacquer that ran then respray it but very thinly

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:08 Quote
What would happen if you polish it

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:12 Quote
just strip it and use a urathane or enamal based paint imo. Of course you will ahve to get ALL the lacquer off becase other paints like to react to it.You could try wet sand it down and polish it.. but if it hasn't cured fully lacqure will streak even worse with the polish.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:12 Quote
i have polished it. and i lacquered it to keep the polish smooth

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:14 Quote
oooh.. did you put lacquer ontop of a different base paint?

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:18 Quote
i rawed frame. polished it. then lacqeuered but it was applied in too thick a coat i think thus resulting in the running lacquer. i want to know how to get rid of the runs without stripping the frame

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:20 Quote
You probably know this, but for paint, you sand out the run which leaves a little white mark, then you give it another light coat of paint. Maybe it's the same idea. How many coats have you done this far?

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:21 Quote
let it dry fully for a few days then wet sand with 1000-1500-2000 then polish with a rubbing compound.

may or may not work on a lacquer clear, but you gotta let it fully harden 1st or you will make it worse.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:26 Quote
obv bro Smile its just on the underside of toptube and downtube really so should be dry tomorrow nite Razz doesnt help that its ment to be applied at a temp of 15 degrees and i applied at 7 degrees lol so basically use very very fine wet and dry on it once hardened and then re spray very lightly?

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:54 Quote
spray it on thin and do a cuple of coats

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:55 Quote
thats the problem :l i didnt do that the 1st time Frown

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 14:15 Quote
what youve done (i think) is go to close with the spray can. spray from 18" away ish. do lots of coats, over and over again.

be patient

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010695
Mobile Version of Website