Avid Elixir 5 vs. Avid Elixir R vs. Avid Elixir R SL

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid Elixir 5 vs. Avid Elixir R vs. Avid Elixir R SL
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2011 at 7:50 Quote
Hey guys

When I got the cash, I would like to change my brakes... My actual brakes are the Avid Juicy 5 with 185mm rotors. I haven't had problems with em'... I bought them 15 months ago (used), and bled em' 2 times.
s
Now, I'm searching for some brakes. I prefere Avid brakes, because I prefere their lever, feel, modulation, brake power. I found 3 different Elixir's: The Elixir 5's (2011), Elixir R SL's and Elixir R (2010), but I've got some doubts about them.

First.. Do you know what is the difference between The Elixir R's and the R SL ones?
Second, wht's the difference between the Elixir 5's and the R or R SL's?
Third, have you had bad experiences with these brakes? (All the three ones) I've red "reviews" about them where one guy says that they're wonderful, powerful, perfect modulation, and other guy says that they are awful, they squeek, leak fluid, the pads are very close to the rotor... The Elixir's are supposedly better than the Juicy's. So...

Thank you guys

Cheers.

Posted: Aug 12, 2013 at 11:39 Quote
I've also seen many reviews/complaints about the 1st gen Elixers, I think the main issue was the seals in the tapered bore master cyl - sometimes they would trap air. Maybe it just takes patience to bleed them, or maybe the seals sometimes never sealed right.

Based on the reviews, the R and 5 models were more reliable than the CR models, if that helps.
Check on MTBR the reviews.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 23:14 Quote
Avid Elixir R SL is still and Elixir R with aluminum backed brake pads, per Specialized. I love the Elixir R. Just make sure they are the ones made AFTER 2011. The earlier, 2009 models had lots of issues. The latest Elixir 3/5/7/9 are simply terrible.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008871
Mobile Version of Website