Custom made maxle

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Custom made maxle
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:46 Quote
dmrrider1989 wrote:
marquis wrote:
dmrrider1989 wrote:

good shout haha. i may aswel try it in my eyes, its not going to cost me anything.

i just havent figured out the thread on the fork yet. i need some advice from people i work with

You need the pitch and diameter.

i used some metric thread gauges hoping they would be a common thread, this went out the window

the thread core is around 16.5mm and the pitch is 1.5

ive tried looking through my zeus book and ive found it could be a few different threads going off the core diameter. i dont have any imperial thread gauges at home to pin point which

Americans like to use unf which is some crazy arse sizing,i tried getting a replacement bolt for my odi loc on grips but they couldn't figure the sizing at my local bolt store either and it was an industrial supplier not some diy store.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:54 Quote
marquis wrote:
dmrrider1989 wrote:
marquis wrote:

i used some metric thread gauges hoping they would be a common thread, this went out the window

ive tried looking through my zeus book and ive found it could be a few different threads going off the core diameter. i dont have any imperial thread gauges at home to pin point which

Americans like to use unf which is some crazy arse sizing,i tried getting a replacement bolt for my odi loc on grips but they couldn't figure the sizing at my local bolt store either and it was an industrial supplier not some diy store.

yeah, UNF is one of the possibilities. its because they think the metric system is the devil so still work old school.

cheers mate, your the only person that seems to be encouraging me to try it haha

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:55 Quote
dmrrider1989 wrote:
marquis wrote:
dmrrider1989 wrote:

good shout haha. i may aswel try it in my eyes, its not going to cost me anything.

i just havent figured out the thread on the fork yet. i need some advice from people i work with

It most likely is imperial and a corse thread. Also they might have done custom pitch in the thread grooves, been there done that years ago and it will be hard to figure out but can be done. And you don't need CNC to make it, a good conventional lathe and know how you'll be fine.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:56 Quote
I thought the metric system was just a theory like Global Warming and Evolution? Salute

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:57 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:
I thought the metric system was just a theory like Global Warming and Evolution? Salute

Why do you have to make life so hard.Cry

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:58 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:

It's a better and simpler system once understood.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:58 Quote
dmrrider1989 wrote:
marquis wrote:
dmrrider1989 wrote:

yeah, UNF is one of the possibilities. its because they think the metric system is the devil so still work old school.

cheers mate, your the only person that seems to be encouraging me to try it haha

Some of the best stuff in the world was born from an idea,well actually all stuff was born from an idea,some people are just butt hurt they didn't think of it first.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:59 Quote
lol just kidding about metric stuff. I agree its easier to work with.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:59 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
dmrrider1989 wrote:
marquis wrote:

It most likely is imperial and a corse thread. Also they might have done custom pitch in the thread grooves, been there done that years ago and it will be hard to figure out but can be done. And you don't need CNC to make it, a good conventional lathe and know how you'll be fine.

yeah i have done a fair bit of machining before but would no where near call myself a machinist. i will find out the thread unless as you say it is custom. then its time to give up and fork out the cost of a real maxle but thats no fun

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:01 Quote
It's a simple tube that needs a thread and a way of fixing it,so long as the grade of the material is good it really can't go wrong.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:02 Quote
dmrrider1989 wrote:
Rigaud wrote:
dmrrider1989 wrote:

yeah i have done a fair bit of machining before but would no where near call myself a machinist. i will find out the thread unless as you say it is custom. then its time to give up and fork out the cost of a real maxle but thats no fun

If your doing it just to save money then no. If you really enjoy fabricating then go for it and don't give up till you gave it your best go at it. Wink

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:02 Quote
marquis wrote:
It's a simple tube that needs a thread and a way of fixing it,so long as the grade of the material is good it really can't go wrong.

He just needs 6061-T6

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:03 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
marquis wrote:

He just needs 6061-T6

i would use good old steel as a prototype first.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:11 Quote
marquis wrote:
Rigaud wrote:
marquis wrote:

He just needs 6061-T6

i would use good old steel as a prototype first.

Why? A good prototype is done with actual material. I'm writing with experience here and if he makes a mistake with steel he could f*ck up the thread in the fork.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:19 Quote
I am in a super similar situation here.. i work in a machine shop with lathes, cnc's etc and i have a set of boxxers 2008 with a threaded maxle.

At first i was going to attempt to recreate the whole thing, but then shortly realised the non threaded side with the recessed 10mm allen key hole would be a nightmare to make.

Would a standard motocross style straight through axel with an external nut work on a set of boxxers?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011825
Mobile Version of Website