Help me pick my first bike!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Help me pick my first bike!
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 4, 2011 at 1:28 Quote
Soooo I'm about to go and buy my first bike in years and years. Things have changed quite a bit that's for sure. I've always had straight mountain bikes, and wanted to go for something a bit different. I like the look and style of DJ/street bikes, and I'm sure it will do me good for when I go biking in the woods and on trails, yes? I will also be biking to work as well though (about 10 kilometers). Is this a viable option? Also, I have about $500 to spend. I want to get something that is not 100% crap, that's for sure. I can always upgrade what I get in the future as well. I'm going to skip out on a lock for now until I get my next pay check and keep my bike indoors until then so I can stretch my dollar as far as possible on the bike itself.

Any suggestions? Should I not look into DJ/street bikes? I want something with style that will be good for both street and trail, but that can still take me a bit of a distance if I need to. Don't need to get anywhere superbly fast, just don't want to get there dying to catch my breath Razz

If not a DJ/street bike, what type would you suggest? And what specific bike for the amount of money I have available would you go for?

Any tips are VERY much appreciated! Thanks guys!

FL
Posted: May 4, 2011 at 3:07 Quote
I reckon get something like an aggressive xc hardtail, maybe something like a ragley or a on-one, would be wicked fun in the woods and you could also commute on it.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 3:24 Quote
Hmmm any specific models you would suggest? So pumped to get biking again, can't wait!

FL
Posted: May 4, 2011 at 3:27 Quote
On-one 456/inbred

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOINSLX/on-one-inbred-slx

or look at ragley mmbop (only available in frame only i think)

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 3:30 Quote
Ya, that's definitely waaayyyyyy out of my $500 price range.....lol.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 22:36 Quote
Bump? Anyone else have any suggestions?

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 4:56 Quote
not gonna get owt decent for that mate ive spent £400 on frame and wheels

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 5:01 Quote
.....I'm not asking what I CAN'T get for what I have, I'm asking what I CAN get >.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 5:03 Quote
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56096

FL
Posted: May 5, 2011 at 5:04 Quote
Have a look at second hand on here, might be able to pick up a bargain! Definetly go for aggressive all mountain hardtail over a dj bike.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 5:14 Quote
you def want something with gears...most likely a hardtail around the aggresive XC range because a straight DJ/street bikes are not ment for the distance.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 5:27 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/839128/

this looks good

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 5:51 Quote
Wow I obviously don't know what I'm looking for lol. I would have considered a lot of other bikes over those ones thinking that they're garbage haha. What should I be looking for in a bike?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017613
Mobile Version of Website