Chainring Bolt Size

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2011 at 4:49 Quote
Hey All,

I want to go 2x9 but don't want a bash. I have the M970 XTR crankset so could I just use shorter chainring bolts? If yes what size?

Thanks,
S

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 5:51 Quote
You can, at least I know that I used to be able to... wish that I could remember the bolt sizing. I do recall that it was from a Shimano road groupo, as they typically only use two chain rings up front.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 6:12 Quote
You can grind down your bolts to fit.
I've done it before, not many LBS's in Dublin stock bolts for single ring.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 6:17 Quote
Remove the outer ring, measure the thickness of its tabs and subtract it from your existing chainring bolts, and buy the proper size. You may not need shorter chainring bolts if your current ones have a short enough female piece and is slotted as opposed to having a hex opening. You should be looking at about 8mm or so.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 6:47 Quote
I agree with the road bolts idea, saves you from losing a finger grinding 8mm off an already small piece.

Your roadie is a double isn't it? Take a bolt from it and see if it fits!

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 7:36 Quote
crankinstein wrote:
I agree with the road bolts idea, saves you from losing a finger grinding 8mm off an already small piece.

Clamp it in a vice ya muppet! if you use your bare hands you deserve to lose a finger.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 8:38 Quote
celticdavey wrote:
crankinstein wrote:

Clamp it in a vice ya muppet! if you use your bare hands you deserve to lose a finger.

I've been called a lot of things, but never a muppet.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 9:31 Quote
Good call OldskoolMTB and Crankinstein. I'll take it off my roadie and see if it fits.

The existing bolt is too long and it's the type that is enclosed on both ends so I can't thread it through like the older style with the slit. I don't have a grinder so I can do that either. Plus if I ever want to go back to 3x9 I don't need to buy new chainring bolts.

Cheers guys!

Mark

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 9:35 Quote
tacoscruz wrote:
Remove the outer ring, measure the thickness of its tabs and subtract it from your existing chainring bolts, and buy the proper size. You may not need shorter chainring bolts if your current ones have a short enough female piece and is slotted as opposed to having a hex opening. You should be looking at about 8mm or so.

8mm or 6mm? Those are the only options I can see. I totally forgot I have the Shimano Ultegra full crankset now so I don't have the proper bolts to measure. Gave my old Grossamers to a buddy.

S

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 9:45 Quote
I would assume the 6, just based on looking at my triple sitting behind me at work which looks to be an 8.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 11:06 Quote
Svard75 wrote:
8mm or 6mm? Those are the only options I can see. I totally forgot I have the Shimano Ultegra full crankset now so I don't have the proper bolts to measure. Gave my old Grossamers to a buddy.

S

You will have to either measure or head to your lbs as I'm sure they will have a variety of chainring bolt sizes or take your chance and buy some online.

For me I had to use Shimano 6mm slotted female ends with hex male ends. My single ring is thicker than your XTR middle ring.

Posted: May 12, 2011 at 17:22 Quote
Hey so I got the chainring bolts and bolted it all up but now I am looking at it from a distance and the front derailleur being as high as it is looks strange. I can't bring it down because of the rear suspension arm. What do other people do? I also had to do some major front derailleur adjustments because when shifting from the granny to the 32 the chain kept falling off. I found a longer H limit screw and used that but I still found that the slightest overshift would cause the chain to fall. My solution was to drop the L screw so that when in the granny and the 11T the front derailleur outside bar is just barely touching it. Then I had to re-adjust the cable and it appears to be better. Is there a simpler solution?

S

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.058196
Mobile Version of Website