Paranoid about using rear lock-out

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Paranoid about using rear lock-out
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:14 Quote
Okay, so I locked out my shock while biking home from the trails for the first time (fox triad). And I though it was pretty cool (reminded me of the good old days). But then I went flying over a curb and landed and felt some movement in the back, then I checked my shock and it did in fact move a bit in lock-out mode when I pushed on the seat. Which brings me to 2 questions:

Should there be some movement in hard landings in lock-out mode?

Regardless, it seems hard landings would be really hard on a shock in lock out mode. Is lock-out a good idea for anything that might lead to any rough riding at all?

At first I thought lock-out would be good for the bike- less use of the shock and pivots/etc. But now I'm like totally freaking out man (lol)

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:16 Quote
I work at a shop that deals Scotts and I've seen their rear shock explode a few times while in lock out mode. Nice to have gadgets on your bike but just more to go wrong IMO. My mountain bike breaks enough as it is already Smile

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:17 Quote
lockout should only be used on climbs really.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:23 Quote
From what I know, lockout works by closing some valve or something to prevent air flow. Why can't they make it a hardware thing where lockout works by an actual piece of metal preventing movement? You can break air easier than metal (I bet it's a weight thing).

I'll only use it for climbing from now on, if i use it at all- I'll prob stick to propedal. But I'm still paranoid in general.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:27 Quote
DHXCBMX wrote:
From what I know, lockout works by closing some valve or something to prevent air flow. Why can't they make it a hardware thing where lockout works by an actual piece of metal preventing movement? You can break air easier than metal (I bet it's a weight thing).

I'll only use it for climbing from now on, if i use it at all- I'll prob stick to propedal. But I'm still paranoid in general.
?

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:38 Quote
carpy95 wrote:
DHXCBMX wrote:

?

What am I saying that's wrong here? While I'm admitting I'm not to sure about any of this, I'm saying they should not involve air valves in the lockout. Lockout should be accomplished by a simple old fashioned metal piece (or something, you know what I mean, I think) simply preventing movement of the shock. Why put pressure on the air chambers when there's other ways to prevent movement?

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:45 Quote
DHXCBMX wrote:
carpy95 wrote:
DHXCBMX wrote:

?

What am I saying that's wrong here? While I'm admitting I'm not to sure about any of this, I'm saying they should not involve air valves in the lockout. Lockout should be accomplished by a simple old fashioned metal piece (or something, you know what I mean, I think) simply preventing movement of the shock. Why put pressure on the air chambers when there's other ways to prevent movement?
Not saying your wrong, just not sure what you were saying. And I think the thing with a metal piece is a bad idea, because if too much force goes on it, and it doesn't break, all that force is going to the weak plastic of the shock and cracking it.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 21:55 Quote
carpy95 wrote:
DHXCBMX wrote:
carpy95 wrote:

?

Not saying your wrong, just not sure what you were saying. And I think the thing with a metal piece is a bad idea, because if too much force goes on it, and it doesn't break, all that force is going to the weak plastic of the shock and cracking it.

Believe me, I don't know if I'm even making sense so I'm not implying that you're saying I'm wrong Big Grin . I did finally find something on google and it seems that bob is normal while locked out. Which brings me to yet another question: how can they call it lockout if there is pedal bob? Isn't that, like, the opposite of lockout? Man, we could be here all night Madder .

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 22:00 Quote
Haha well its only a few mm's for the shock. It needs to be able to disperse some energy through a little movement. Geek

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 22:23 Quote
That's what I'm saying Smile . It needs to disperse energy without using the air chambers. But I've used up my engineering info for tonight, and every other night . I'm just gonna avoid lockout and try to avoid the paranoa i've been crying about. Cry

Seriously where is the spell check on this thing ! lol

Posted: May 10, 2011 at 11:28 Quote
Most shock lockouts (nowadays anyway) involve blocking oil flow in the damper, with a blowoff valve to save the shock if it takes a hit "while locked out".

Posted: May 10, 2011 at 13:59 Quote
brianl wrote:
Most shock lockouts (nowadays anyway) involve blocking oil flow in the damper, with a blowoff valve to save the shock if it takes a hit "while locked out".

And there's the right answer.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.065930
Mobile Version of Website