Custom wheels

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Custom wheels
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
wheel
wheel
wheel
wheel
2 more wheels, I made few more that I'll post later, pics are still in the camera and I also have more to do

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 21:25 Quote
I made 22 wheels so far and I have some more to do already
wheel
an other wheel for crazy dude and is electric bike, I'll most likely have to rebuilt it at some point because he couldn't wait for heavyduty spokes to come in and the regular 14g spokes could pass right through the holes in the hub
wheel
3rd wheel I built with this rim, G-sport ribcage are really tough
wheel
wheel
replacing a hub
wheel
wheel
shitty wheel, customer didn't want to pay for building, so he disassemble it himself but without removing the freewheel, waste 2-3 hours then bring it back.
wheel
wheel
nice stong wheel with my new philwood 13/14g spokes

Posted: Jul 26, 2011 at 22:42 Quote
wheel
wheel
front wheel for sulry troll, white industries M16 hub, gold plated bladed spoke, orange alloy nipple, syncro DS28 rim
wheel
wheel
rear wheel for surly troll, shimano alfine 11sp hub, gold plated bladed spoke, orange alloy nipple, NS fundamental rim
wheel
wheel
I change the hub for a 20mm because the guy change fork
wheel
I forgot to take a pic of the wheel built, but I'm 25 already without this one

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 9:48 Quote
Figured I may as well throw this in here, don't mean to bugger up the thread, but if anyone wants to comment they can.

I lace my front wheels as per the instructions that come with shimano disc hubs. Basically you end up 3 cross, asymmetric, with the spokes that pull the braking loads heads in, crossing the third spoke on the inside. Exactly the way every OEM wheel I see on the bikes in my shop are laced.

I had a wheel built by a 20 year vet at my shop, and he laced the front wheel symmetrically. The pulling spokes for braking loads are heads out on the non-disc side, same as you'd do a rear wheel I guess.

Who cares, right? Stans flow, DT double butted, Hope Pro II. Looking at the disc rim above it seems to be laced this way.

It was after I had these built that I started doing my own. First job I needed to go from 15mm to 9 on a front, went from XT hub to XT hub and REUSED the spokes ensuring I kept the original orientation heads in/out. I'm not dead yet and the wheel looks and works great.

Anyway, really sweet work, OP. This thread rocks. Now I'm pondering finding a threading machine!

BTW I do work part time at a bike shop, mostly selling. It's ridiculous. www.dutchcycle.ca

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 20:24 Quote
wheel
wheel
the guy finish choosing his parts at 20h55 and wanted his wheel tonight, he wanted to give me an extra 20$ for the rush, I finished at 21h33, and I had to answer the phone 2x and change the music in that time.

to J-oryx, I don't worry too much about heads orientation in the hubs in/out, I don't think it make much difference

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 at 0:30 Quote
To the OP: none of your customers are asking for Mavic 819? I've never seen such tough aluminum before and they are perfectly round every time it seems - absolutely love these. Do you have a favourite rim to build in terms of stiffness? Great work btw - thanks for sharing. I noticed the calipers in one of your shots? Do you measure hub dimensions and then input into spokecalc or do you use presets usually? Just curious in terms of whether or not you manually calc ERD, hub width, etc...

Thanks again! Thanks for sharing the builds! Great thread.

A.

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 at 15:14 Quote
neex wrote:
To the OP: none of your customers are asking for Mavic 819? I've never seen such tough aluminum before and they are perfectly round every time it seems - absolutely love these. Do you have a favourite rim to build in terms of stiffness? Great work btw - thanks for sharing. I noticed the calipers in one of your shots? Do you measure hub dimensions and then input into spokecalc or do you use presets usually? Just curious in terms of whether or not you manually calc ERD, hub width, etc...

Thanks again! Thanks for sharing the builds! Great thread.

A.

I like all mavic rims with the maxtal alloy they are stiffer and mavic rims are always rounder with no or minimal flatspot on the welding like alot of other rims.
I love the alex XCR pro scandium rims, maybe not as perfect as most mavic but very close but very light and stiff
I also like syncro rims alot I haven't done much but they were very stiff and round
WTB rims are good too, I like the lazerdisc
velocity are good too, they aren't so stiff but they are always round
for BMX I like all rims in 7005 alloy like odyssey 7k, alex supra feather, gsport ribcage.

I measure most of the hubs and rims and put the info in spokecalc, but there is some wheel I don't need to calculate because I've made alot of them

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 at 15:44 Quote
bburke42 wrote:
How do you like the machine itself? Easy to use? Awesome?
Do you just buy a long spoke like a 300mm+ and cut them down to the size you need instead of stocking a bunch of different spoke lengths? I know at the shop I work at its pretty rare we find a wheel that we can't find a size of spoke for instock or get ordered in.

sorry for late reply but I love the machine, it's really easy to use and it's awesome!!!
I buy 310mm unthreaded spokes but I still buy threaded spokes in the size I use often. It will make a much more managable inventory

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 at 8:18 Quote
all black NS wheel
black wheel
NS all black wheelset
it's been a while since I've post new wheels but there is not too many people who take advantage of the super winter deals

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048922
Mobile Version of Website