Which to buy Norco 250 or Giant STP SS

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Which to buy Norco 250 or Giant STP SS
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 12:22 Quote
Buying a bike for 15yr old son, likes dirt jumping. 140lb rider

Have a opertunity to buy a 09 Norco 250 , cable brakes, chrome M frame, single'd or a 2008 Giant STP SS, hydro brake, allum, single'd.

Both are approx same price $800ish new.

Should I pick 1 over the other ??

Thanks Al

Posted: May 31, 2011 at 20:13 Quote
I'd take the norco. Horizontal dropouts, and V brake posts. Hydros belong on DH bikes, so who cares IMO.

EDIT: rode an old 250 Can't remember which year, and I liked it. Rode an old STP again can't remember which year and I did not like it so much.... Actually ended up owning both bikes...... Sold the STP frame for like $50.

O+ FL
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 20:17 Quote
that's a tough call. Cant go wrong with either. i would probably get the norco, just cause its chromolly and has whore drops

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 at 4:00 Quote
depends what he is going to use it for, i got a giant stp ss, and the horizontal dropouts are handy but a simple chain tensioner does it fine for me, just make sure its a solid one, not on a spring. hydraulic brakes are so much better than cable. but the 250 is a better dirt jump bike.

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 at 17:31 Quote
Horizontal dropouts remove an EASILY broken part from the picture. Tensioners are just not necessary, why add the frustration. Hydros are no better than cable on a DJ street bike if you know how to set them up and you don't bend any rotors.

Posted: Jun 3, 2011 at 17:36 Quote
had a norco 250. frame was cracked in multiple places. wouldnt recommend it

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 19:04 Quote
ricar wrote:
Horizontal dropouts remove an EASILY broken part from the picture. Tensioners are just not necessary, why add the frustration. Hydros are no better than cable on a DJ street bike if you know how to set them up and you don't bend any rotors.

why do hydros bend rotors? and cables dont? i never heard of this

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 19:17 Quote
Was that comment written with any sort of seriousness? Disks bend when they hit curbs, rocks ect ect.... Hydros are no more effective than cable activated brakes in the street/DJ scene, so why spend the money on something so easily broken?

Did that simplify it enough?

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 7:29 Quote
Get the Stp SS, giant puts a lot more quality and time into making their bikes but the norco comes with an argyle which is hard to compete with.

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 19:39 Quote
I have the 09 norco 250 and i absolutely love it. It is a great bike and will take anything that you through at it. I don't know whether the breaks were changed after the bike was bought but why breaks were hydraulic

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012036
Mobile Version of Website