Hub help.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2011 at 23:40 Quote
Well i recently put new bearings and and grease in a Shimano hub..but when I tightened the cones down i couldn't tighten them tight...like they'd be either too stiff where the axle didn't turn or there'd be bearing slop....this is a rear hub if it makes any difference

I've alwasy hated Shimano hubs....would much rather sealed cartridge bearings in a hub...

Posted: Jun 4, 2011 at 23:51 Quote
Are you saying you couldn't adjust it right?

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 0:20 Quote
if the cones and cups are not too damaged you should be able to adjust it. if you axle is bent it need to be change. or maybe you haven't lock the nuts properly. I always lock the nut/cone on the drive side while the axle is out of the hub then I put it back together and finish on the left side by locking the nut/cone together

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 3:43 Quote
a little bit of slop will come out when you secure the wheel into the frame.. so if you're trying to get it perfect, but have a bit of play... put the wheel in the bike and check.. might be perfect.

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 6:43 Quote
w-e-w wrote:
a little bit of slop will come out when you secure the wheel into the frame.. so if you're trying to get it perfect, but have a bit of play... put the wheel in the bike and check.. might be perfect.
You only want to allow for a little bit of play when it is a qr wheel system.

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 12:33 Quote
Getting the cones "perfect" is time consuming task, but not impossible. When I rebuild my Shimano hubs, I leave the freehub side tightened and only loosen the non-drive side. Then when I'm finished cleaning everything out and repack the bearings, I tighten up hte non-drive side cone... making it just a bit on the "too tight" side. I find that it'll loosen off just a bit when I snug up the locking nut. Then I check for wiggle, and spin the wheel top feel for the bearings. If it spins smooth as silk, and you can not feel the bearings ( feels like small bumps ) and there's no wiggle/play at the axle, then you're good to go.

If not... then try and try again until you're happy. Just be patient and take your time. tup

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 14:45 Quote
but if your axle is bent you can't get it perfect, you need a new axle

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 16:14 Quote
bernbikeshop wrote:
but if your axle is bent you can't get it perfect, you need a new axle

Absolutely correct!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011045
Mobile Version of Website