Stem keeps slipping

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Stem keeps slipping
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 16:34 Quote
I tighten my stem so much yet the bars keep slipping, like ive even tightened to the point where the bolts got stripped, and they still managed to slip. i bought a new cheap stem and they're still slipping now i have no clue what to do. any suggestions?

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 17:11 Quote
CheeseyPUFFS wrote:
I tighten my stem so much yet the bars keep slipping, like ive even tightened to the point where the bolts got stripped, and they still managed to slip. i bought a new cheap stem and they're still slipping now i have no clue what to do. any suggestions?
Save up and get a better stem. Untill then, try sanding your bars on the clanping surface, and inside of your stem.

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 17:42 Quote
Do you mean the stem grips the bars, then as you ride they slip? Or the bars are never held in place tightly?

As ' isuckatbikes' said, try removing any paint or anything on the bars.

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 17:52 Quote
dibbott wrote:
Do you mean the stem grips the bars, then as you ride they slip? Or the bars are never held in place tightly?

As ' isuckatbikes' said, try removing any paint or anything on the bars.

yeah like theyre tight enough so i cant move them when sitting still, but when i ride they slip , thanks for ideas

oh and the bars are also like brand new and never used, so they still have those little grips on them

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 20:12 Quote
Yeah sand paint off the knurls ("grippy parts") that should help. I took a hacksaw and cut little ridges in my old stem so it would hold better. It worked wonderfully. You could try that.

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 22:21 Quote
ISuckAtBikes wrote:
Yeah sand paint off the knurls ("grippy parts") that should help. I took a hacksaw and cut little ridges in my old stem so it would hold better. It worked wonderfully. You could try that.

thanks

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 at 22:35 Quote
Buy an s and m stem my bars didn't hold for somebody else so he gave them too me i have had them for almost 3 years and i have had two s and m stems that have held them.

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 18:23 Quote
make sure you tighten your stem equaliy, otherwise its just gonna slip and eventually crack.

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 18:52 Quote
you can put grease on the thread of the bolts and use a longer key to tight. if you use a small key you may not be able to put enough torque

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 6:08 Quote
get a s and m redneck xlt i have had mine for over a year and my bars have never sliped

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 6:50 Quote
Get a WTP supreme, had mine since 07 and haven't had any bar slippage Wink

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 8:05 Quote
robloveshiskona wrote:
Get a WTP supreme, had mine since 07 and haven't had any bar slippage Wink
Get shadow attack. I've had mine for over 7 months with no slippage.

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 8:11 Quote
four years yo Wink

Supreme is supreme Razz

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 11:54 Quote
robloveshiskona wrote:
four years yo Wink

Supreme is supreme Razz
he probs meant 7 years?:L

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 12:03 Quote
sp33dyboy wrote:
robloveshiskona wrote:
four years yo Wink

Supreme is supreme Razz
he probs meant 7 years?:L
as in my stem is from 2007 Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011835
Mobile Version of Website