My Pitch AM build..

PB Forum :: Specialized
My Pitch AM build..
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 18:52 Quote
Well, it's been about six months since I started this build. I've never really been one to worry about what my bike looks like, but being as it was already stripped to the frame and on it's way to the powdercoater, I figured I might try a "theme" for the bike.
I went to school at Boise State University and happened to have one of my orange BSU shirts on that day. An idea was born. I decided to do a BSU colored rig with an orange frame and blue and white bits. It's going to be a pretty purpose-specific bike used mostly for AM and some shuttling runs like Downieville and Ashland.
Here is the story.
This is the photo sent to me from the seller of the frame. 2009 Pitch Pro medium frame.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 18:55 Quote
i love the pitch. i was gunna get one and probly still will some day! they look like an awesome bike to huck on and still go trail riding. sik bike dude.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
Stripped the frame down and started deciding what the thing was going to look like in the end.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 18:58 Quote
this is going to be cool! keep posting pics all thorugh the build pleese! cant wait to see what its gonna look like!

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 19:04 Quote
This is what ended up being the inspiration for the aesthetic properties of the bike:

So this is the sample color plate from the powdercoater. Big thanks to Progressive Powdercoating for doing the work. They stripped and coated the whole frame for me for $60. It's so much cheaper if they're already shooting the color and they just happened to be shooting a bunch of stuff for U-Haul, which is a really close orange to what I wanted.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 19:05 Quote
oh have you already finesd the bike?

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 19:12 Quote
Almost.
And this is how she came back from PC a few days later. That was the longest few days of my life. I couldn't wait to see what it looked like. I couldn't even wait to get home to put it back together. I built it in my office and shop at work. If you look closely, you can see the BSU sticker I was using on top of the jar of mixed nuts on my desk.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 19:26 Quote
First order of business was getting a fork and bar on the thing. This is where all the pictures might start getting a little crappy, as I was using my phone for most of them. I went with a 55 mostly for the travel and 20mm up front. I chose this particular one because I had ridden it before and loved it. Already had the King headset from another bike.

Decided to run a shorter stem as these Pitches seem to run long. Went with a 60mm Hussefelt. The blue Atlas bar was purchased on super-sale from MadCat bike shop in Sacramento after a wheel building course I took through them. After the class was over, they offered us a really good discount on just about anything. I bought this and the Park Tools pizza cutter.

And this is how she sat at this point:

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 19:39 Quote
Next on the list was wheels and stickers. The wheels because I wanted to get it to the point of being a roller, where it would at least seem to be taking the shape of a bike and I could pull it down off the stand. The stickers because I just wanted to get some decals on it. I knew what I wanted and couldn't wait to see what it ended up looking like.
After some research and deliberation, I found some DT Swiss EX 5.10's with the 340 hubs. I'm very happy with these.

I have a buddy in the vinyl business who had already happened to purchase Specialized's art. He was able to make me exactly what I wanted. And I still have the ability to make something else if I want to change it. They're not clearcoated over, but, whatever. Sorry for the low-light crappy pics.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
Now it was time to do a little more shopping. I picked up some white DMR V8 white flat pedals, XTR bottom bracket, Race Face Evolve single-ring crankset, and an E-13 chainguide and bash. Found some WTB Stout 2.3's and picked those up because I've wanted to try them out. In fact, I haven't been on them yet so I'd be interested in anybody else's opinion of them WHO HAS ACTUALLY RIDDEN THEM.

I just happen to still have an old-school pair of Hayes Comp brakes laying around from an old bike. I had planned on putting Elixers on this thing as soon as I could afford them, but some new pads, fluid, and a good bleeding made these Comps feel as good as the day I first bought them. I'm still getting the Elixers, but these will do for now.

And this is how she sits now. Just a chain, cassette, and rear shifter/derailleur away from the trail

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 20:02 Quote
man this is one rad bike! how much did you get the raceface atlas bars for? i want some so ill go cheak out that site!

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 20:05 Quote
oh woops its not a site. sorry Redface do you know where i can find some then?Eek

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 20:23 Quote
There are obviously a lot of sites to choose from, but I do most of my online shopping on Pricepoint.com and Jensonusa.com.

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 at 21:08 Quote
cool thanks. i might look at torpedo7 as well!

Posted: Jul 5, 2011 at 18:25 Quote
I love the way the blue and orange go together on this build. I have a pitch and love it. Keep up the good work, slick bike!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.061851
Mobile Version of Website