PB Forum :: USA - East
BROKE my leg BAD
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 16:04 Quote
broke my tib and fib

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 16:29 Quote
Id suggest just to start with some trail riding and just slowly build back your confidence. If you're too scared, then dont bother trying something because most likely you will get hurt again.

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 18:55 Quote
getting old sucks!
I had a very bad, similar accident that ending my competitive skiing career many years ago. 10 months of rehab and phys therapy. It took two seasons for me to fully return to full speed runs on skis- now I am ok but my first turns after surgery were SCARY. I felt like a total beginner, but I worked myself up slowly over two months, skiing longer, more runs, or trying a black diamond when there were good conditions.
Once you get clearance to ride, get back on that bike, even just to ride down the street! Work your way back up to some smaller jumps. Don't go out and try the biggest drops first.
As you get older you'll find your self-preservation feeling kicks in too. I don't ride the crazy stuff like I used to since I have been married- it's all part of that nasty "R" word..... responsibility.

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 18:57 Quote
giving something up to not get hurt isn't a bad thing if your done with it than your done
I have stopped doing many things in my old age to not be busted all the time
the old saying get back on the horse isn't the best thing because chances are you will fall off again
so give it some time if you go back than fine if you don't its no big deal its just a bike

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 18:58 Quote
I was (still am) in a similiar situation. Broke my ankle into a million pieces and still am getting back into the swing of riding. I found trail riding to be very helpful as I dont feel the need to pin it every run. I have found that I am slowly getting more and more comfortable at speed on the trail bike which has translated to the DH bike. It may sound weird but the first big crash I had helped me see that I could ride aggressivly without getting injured.

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 19:05 Quote
You guys are all young pups and writing here like your 70 years old. If you get hurt bad hopefully you learn from it but normally it shouldn't be the end of an activity you love doing. I'm going to be 47 and ride DH faster then 10 years ago but.......................I progressed into riding smooder. Y've popped my shoulders out the sockets, bruised ribs, broken bones and fingers too with many different sports. Extreme sports have high risk factors. Last summer when I popped my shoulder, Istarted back on my road bike, no impact on the body and a good way to get the blood flowing again plus great cardio. It's one of the best disciplines by the way for DH.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 10:13 Quote
i have heard of many people giving up things they love after a bad injury, they shouldn't be judged. Everyone deals with things differently. Go at your own speed, feel it out. Go as slow or as fast as you feel comfortable.

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 16:51 Quote
Once you get better, you'll want to get back in the saddle (any saddle).
Nice & easy - and hopefully until you are comfortable on a bike (super easy cross country may be the ticket at first)
Once you find comfort, happiness and joy on a bike again, only then should you decide to retire it permanently or temporarily.
I would never recommend: "I will never do this again" - 'cause I broke my leg.
But hey... that's just me. You gotta do what you need to do.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 9:46 Quote
thanks akaflash, good post, I know I'll be in the saddle again! keep it upright my friend..

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009526
Mobile Version of Website