Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 7:25 Quote
SintraFreeride wrote:
mmckechnie wrote:
The-dirt-farmer wrote:
I think Specialized will probably keep the status' current 26" wheels, because it creates a clear distinction between the status and the demo in Specialized's lineup.

True. Sort of like how Trek has their Session available in 26" for park riding and 650b for DH/race. Could be a similar approach with Specialized. Status for bike parks, Demo for racing and more natural DH terrain.

Well then please explain the new 650b Enduro with a 180mm boxxer? Where does that sit in the Demo to Status scale?

I think the enduro is better for more pedally tracks and a playful bike, status for overall bike park riding, and demo for hauling gnar

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 18:37 Quote
Would it be a good bike to buy for possibly racing downhill at a beginner/ intermediate style?

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 18:57 Quote
Discogroovylion wrote:
Would it be a good bike to buy for possibly racing downhill at a beginner/ intermediate style?

yeah definitely, good unless ur hauling, great bike for the bike park

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 22:24 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
Discogroovylion wrote:
racing downhill

good unless ur hauling,
Why do you say that???

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 0:29 Quote
Discogroovylion wrote:

The Status is an affordable DH bike or bikepark bike. If you upgrade it like most of us on here have then it can become a full on DH weapon. Mine is setup for steep and fast tracks 62º head angle 1235mm wheelbase with a CCDB air rear shock.

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 3:44 Quote
loopie wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
Discogroovylion wrote:
racing downhill

good unless ur hauling,
Why do you say that???

sorry, I was tired when I wrote that lol, I think that u may want to do some uogrades to the rear suspension at least if you are going to be hauling down full on dh courses

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 5:30 Quote
Anglesets ...talk to me.

Riding mainly UK DH, but wondering if slackening the headangle too much would result on a weird feeling bike. Pretty sure the status is 64.5 degrees standard.

Opinions?? Best place to buy??

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 16:39 Quote
alexthekid wrote:
Anglesets ...talk to me.

Riding mainly UK DH, but wondering if slackening the headangle too much would result on a weird feeling bike. Pretty sure the status is 64.5 degrees standard.

64.5º is the standard HA on the Status I (with 170mm single crown fork) think it might be 64º with a dual crown. Slackening the HA increases the wheelbase (more stable at speed) and makes steering slower at low speeds but more stable at high speeds and allows you to ride steeper terrain more easily. You also end up riding the bike more off the front (you need to put more weight on the front so as to keep the front end from washing out),
So if you only ride UK DH then you probably don't need to get your headangle sub 63º. I think you could try 63-63.5º. I'd recommend getting a Works Components headset (-1º) seeing as it is cheaper than getting a cane creek angleset. And if you want to go slacker after getting a -1º then just get 1 offset bushing (easy to put on and remove). This will allow you to go down to 63º for the steep and or faster tracks and if you remove the bushing you can go back to 63.5º.
Be warned once you go slack you won't go back! Wink

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 23:34 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
loopie wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:

good unless ur hauling,
Why do you say that???

sorry, I was tired when I wrote that lol, I think that u may want to do some uogrades to the rear suspension at least if you are going to be hauling down full on dh courses
For sure it would need some tweeking...like a 200mm fork, angle set and rear shock....but the base frame is capable of any speed...which is why I asked. Probably the only things holding it back from World Cup contention is BB height and a bit of frame weight is my guess....???

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
Speaking of headsets...will probably go slacker some time.
Which one is for our frames?
Thx

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/full-headsets---most-common-sizes-10-c.asp

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 0:51 Quote
loopie wrote:
Speaking of headsets...will probably go slacker some time.
Which one is for our frames?
Thx

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/full-headsets---most-common-sizes-10-c.asp

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10-degree-zs49---zs49---traditional-15-reducer-headset-30-p.asp

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 0:52 Quote
loopie wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
loopie wrote:

Why do you say that???

For sure it would need some tweeking...like a 200mm fork, angle set and rear shock....but the base frame is capable of any speed...which is why I asked. Probably the only things holding it back from World Cup contention is BB height and a bit of frame weight is my guess....???

When you slacken the bike out the BB height goes down. Plus you can always use an offset bushing to lower BB height further. So yeah you can almost turn it into a Worldcup bike (except for the 650b rear wheel).

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 5:55 Quote
SintraFreeride wrote:
alexthekid wrote:
Anglesets ...talk to me.

64.5º is the standard HA on the Status I (with 170mm single crown fork) think it might be 64º with a dual crown. Slackening the HA increases the wheelbase (more stable at speed) and makes steering slower at low speeds but more stable at high speeds and allows you to ride steeper terrain more easily. You also end up riding the bike more off the front (you need to put more weight on the front so as to keep the front end from washing out),
So if you only ride UK DH then you probably don't need to get your headangle sub 63º. I think you could try 63-63.5º. I'd recommend getting a Works Components headset (-1º) seeing as it is cheaper than getting a cane creek angleset. And if you want to go slacker after getting a -1º then just get 1 offset bushing (easy to put on and remove). This will allow you to go down to 63º for the steep and or faster tracks and if you remove the bushing you can go back to 63.5º.

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

Just looking at the link you gave for the Works 1.0 degree angleset, which headtube length should i go for?

Thanks again

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 8:09 Quote
Hey wanted to change my shock for a vivid air and found a deal on a M/M tune would it be ok for the status?

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 9:58 Quote
alexthekid wrote:
SintraFreeride wrote:
alexthekid wrote:
Anglesets ...talk to me.

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

Just looking at the link you gave for the Works 1.0 degree angleset, which headtube length should i go for?

Thanks again

No problem. Now get out a ruler/measuring tape and measure your headtube or go to the specialized website and look it up...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016172
Mobile Version of Website