General 29er Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
General 29er Thread
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 22:45 Quote
tlt593 wrote:
carpy95 wrote:
tlt593 wrote:
Hey guys I need some help with my 29er. I currently ride a Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er and I love everything about it except one thing. I ride around campus a lot and sometimes when I go down a long flight of stairs or land hard after a jump the chain slips into a different gear and i have to switch back and forth until it recatches. Is there any way I can fix this? Also my chain slaps around quite often so any way to fix that would help also.

Thanks
How old/used is the bike?

I just got this bike new in late May, and it's not that used. Been on the trails a few times but other times its mostly city riding.
Do you know how to adjust shifting?

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 21:35 Quote
carpy95 wrote:
tlt593 wrote:
carpy95 wrote:
How old/used is the bike?

I just got this bike new in late May, and it's not that used. Been on the trails a few times but other times its mostly city riding.

Like messing with the gear cables? No I don't know how to do that, could they just be stretched since they are new and need tightening?

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 21:37 Quote
tlt593 wrote:
carpy95 wrote:
tlt593 wrote:

Like messing with the gear cables? No I don't know how to do that, could they just be stretched since they are new and need tightening?
Yep, bring it to the shop and have them adjust it, they should have some sort of free basic adjustment plan.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 23:35 Quote
carpy95 wrote:
tlt593 wrote:
carpy95 wrote:

Yep, bring it to the shop and have them adjust it, they should have some sort of free basic adjustment plan.

Ok cool I'll do that. Thanks for the help man

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 1:09 Quote
Anyone have experience with a gary fisher/trek hybrid 29er? I have a freeride hard tail which I use for everything. I find it way too slow for the street and xc. What should take me a 1.5 hour commute would take me 2 hours on my hard tail. Looking to get a 29er for light trail and long distance road.

Also, are there any 29er's for shorter riders? I'm 5'6. I've done my research and a lot of people are saying a regular 29er with a small frame (15 inches) will have bad geometry.

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 20:29 Quote
Kbone wrote:
Anyone have experience with a gary fisher/trek hybrid 29er? I have a freeride hard tail which I use for everything. I find it way too slow for the street and xc. What should take me a 1.5 hour commute would take me 2 hours on my hard tail. Looking to get a 29er for light trail and long distance road.

Also, are there any 29er's for shorter riders? I'm 5'6. I've done my research and a lot of people are saying a regular 29er with a small frame (15 inches) will have bad geometry.

Honestly, I would never reccomend a 29er to any customer under 5'9". I just feel that a shorter rider would really notice the effects of a 29er feeling sluggish.

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 20:33 Quote
bubbaleech wrote:
Kbone wrote:

Honestly, I would never reccomend a 29er to any customer under 5'9". I just feel that a shorter rider would really notice the effects of a 29er feeling sluggish.
I don't think being under 5'9" is the limit at all. Sure, if you are very short then a 29er wouldn't be optimal, but just putting a number out there in my opinion is wrong. Riding style, bike sizes, and terrain in my opinion would be a much bigger deciding factor.

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 20:58 Quote
bubbaleech wrote:
you are right.
Good to see we see things the same way.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 5:13 Quote
bubbaleech wrote:
Kbone wrote:

I'm 5'7" and I ride a 29er. the only thing I noticed on my 29er is that it rides better then any 26er I've ever been on. both hard tail and full suspension. Since owning my Niner, I no longer ride my Trance and am looking forward to buying another 29er. As for the small 29er being slugish...lol...it is actually much faster then my trance with an almost identical gear set up and weight. there might be some 29ers out there that may feel sluggish, but I have't ridden one yet...

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 5:16 Quote
Personally I think only a rider can make a bike feel sluggish...

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 5:25 Quote
amateur-Soldier wrote:

Not really,the 29er is harder to pedal up hill and the gear mfrs haven't made a cassette with low enough gears to compensate for the increased radius.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:18 Quote
marquis wrote:
amateur-Soldier wrote:

Not really,the 29er is harder to pedal up hill and the gear mfrs haven't made a cassette with low enough gears to compensate for the increased radius.
So wrong its not even funny. If you are in decent shape you should be able to climb faster with a niner. Hence, they win a ridiculous amount of world cups. Hence, my climbing is way faster. Hence, you hear a ton of people saying how they used to bike with a group and be a middle climber and now with a niner they are at the head of the pack. Have you spent extended time on 29ers? You always seem to come up with the negatives of them. The ONLY 2 negatives I have come up with is wheel flex and its not as snappy, but my Fisher is damn reactive.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:41 Quote
carpy95 wrote:
marquis wrote:
amateur-Soldier wrote:

So wrong its not even funny. If you are in decent shape you should be able to climb faster with a niner. Hence, they win a ridiculous amount of world cups. Hence, my climbing is way faster. Hence, you hear a ton of people saying how they used to bike with a group and be a middle climber and now with a niner they are at the head of the pack. Have you spent extended time on 29ers? You always seem to come up with the negatives of them. The ONLY 2 negatives I have come up with is wheel flex and its not as snappy, but my Fisher is damn reactive.

Not wrong at all,quoted from a recent 26 inch vs 29 inch shoot out.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:46 Quote
marquis wrote:
carpy95 wrote:
marquis wrote:

Not wrong at all,quoted from a recent 26 inch vs 29 inch shoot out.
From?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048409
Mobile Version of Website