Powered by Outside

Do I have to use MTB specific brake fluid ?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Do I have to use MTB specific brake fluid ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
or will car or motorbike fluid do the same job. I believe I need DOT 5.1 for my Formula ORO's.

Posted: Jul 25, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
yeah automotive works fine, if not better. didn't realize there is even mtb specific DOT brake fluid. the auto stuff is probably LOADS cheaper too

DOT 3, 4, 5.1 - safe to mix
DOT 5 - DO NOT MIX OR EVEN LOOK AT IT

Posted: Jul 25, 2011 at 17:01 Quote
stryke wrote:
5.1 is 5.1

this... there is no difference between bicycle, motorcycle or car brake fluid, there are however better brands of fluid just like with anything else really.

all you have to do is be sure to use the correct one for your system, if it says use only dot 5.1, only use dot 5.1. if you don't use the corect fluid then you will have issues with the seals...

Posted: Jul 26, 2011 at 10:28 Quote
Nice one, cheers guys. Yes, Automotive fluid IS much cheeper.

Posted: Jul 26, 2011 at 16:28 Quote
GeoffT wrote:
Nice one, cheers guys. Yes, Automotive fluid IS much cheeper.

tru dat Smile

I got two massive bottles of 5.1 for the price of one at lordco. wicked deals!

but how long can one store an opened bottle for? mine seems to have gotten more bubbles even though it was closed

Posted: Jul 26, 2011 at 20:43 Quote
when storing brake fluid you must ensure that there is an air tight seal on the container it is being kept in, if there is not it will attract moisture from the air and become useless in a matter of days

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 at 8:32 Quote
My brakes say "DOT 3 or 4 only" but isn't 5.1 interchangable and better at absorbing heat?

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 at 13:21 Quote
Yoopersteeze wrote:
My brakes say "DOT 3 or 4 only" but isn't 5.1 interchangable and better at absorbing heat?

if your brake states that you should use dot 3 or 4 its for a reason... don't "just try it anyway" as you may void warranty and injure yourself in the process, especially as its your brakes your tampering with

and this myth of dot 3 or 4 not being as good as 5.1 is just that, a myth, its all dependant on the brand/quality of the brake fluid...

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 at 13:25 Quote
Alright, thanks for your input man.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011566
Mobile Version of Website