Wheel building question

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Wheel building question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 3:21 Quote
Hi guys,
Im building a wheel using a new ns hub and a old mavic ex721, with new spokes (used the sapim calculator for length).
I laced it using the sheldon brown guide and it looks correct. (3 cross pattern) i began the initial tensioning and noticed, if i do the nipples up so they are all equal (three threads from the end of the thread on the spoke) some are seated into the rim and have very slight tension, and some are 5 or 10mm away from seating into the rim.

It is in a two spokes seated, two spokes loose, two spokes seated, two spokes loose pattern around the whole rim. It is even too, each pair of loose ones goes to each side of the hub - if that makes sense.

Im sure i've just done some stupid error, but i can't find any info and can't figure it out myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

cheers, Mark

PS it is laterally and vertically true within 1mm and is central to the hub within 2mm.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 9:40 Quote
driftdog wrote:
Hi guys,
Im building a wheel using a new ns hub and a old mavic ex721, with new spokes (used the sapim calculator for length).
I laced it using the sheldon brown guide and it looks correct. (3 cross pattern) i began the initial tensioning and noticed, if i do the nipples up so they are all equal (three threads from the end of the thread on the spoke) some are seated into the rim and have very slight tension, and some are 5 or 10mm away from seating into the rim.

It is in a two spokes seated, two spokes loose, two spokes seated, two spokes loose pattern around the whole rim. It is even too, each pair of loose ones goes to each side of the hub - if that makes sense.

Im sure i've just done some stupid error, but i can't find any info and can't figure it out myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

cheers, Mark

PS it is laterally and vertically true within 1mm and is central to the hub within 2mm.
Mislaced.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 19:34 Quote
post a pic, it will be easier to see if something is wrong

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 3:16 Quote
Sounds like you got the pattern wrong, and didnt cross enough

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009373
Mobile Version of Website