First wheel build. Spank rim on Lawwill hub. Will I die?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
First wheel build. Spank rim on Lawwill hub. Will I die?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 7:43 Quote
Finished my first wheel and thought I'd get some feedback so I know if I need to re-do it before starting the other.

Wheel came out nicely dished and true. I'm concerned about my spokes though. Every two spokes going around the RIM enter a little shallow, then the next two a little deep and so on all around the wheel. I feel I barely have enough nipple threaded and then have almost exceeded the threads of the next two and the pattern repeats consistently through out the rim. The spoke lengths were calculated on two websites and checked by my LBS and we ordered them rounding up. Spoke tension feels great.

Does this wheel appear correct or do I have problems to correct? At this point I feel I could ride it, I just wonder if I did do something wrong.

trued wheel
trued wheel

short spoke shows threads
spoke with less in nipple

Long spoke sticks through
spoke threaded deeply into nipple

laced wheel
laced and untrue wheel

Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 8:20 Quote
Have you checked the dish?

Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 17:04 Quote
Yeah, mentioned it in the post. I used a dishing tool and got it very close to perfect. Spoke thing has got me really confused though... I can't make anything of it. And most importantly I wonder if someone could tell me if the spokes being that deep and shallow are WRONG or not? I have no wheel building info... so I'm clueless.

Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 17:58 Quote
redfordtrails wrote:
Yeah, mentioned it in the post. I used a dishing tool and got it very close to perfect. Spoke thing has got me really confused though... I can't make anything of it. And most importantly I wonder if someone could tell me if the spokes being that deep and shallow are WRONG or not? I have no wheel building info... so I'm clueless.

Wheels require specific spoke lengths for each side of the wheel,more so on the rear than the front and it looks to me as though you have the lengths mixxed up,drive side would require shorter spokes.

Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 21:09 Quote
redfordtrails wrote:

Actually, re read your post... No mention of dish anywhere. If the spoke lengths are wrong, use the correct lengths. Real world results should over rule anything a calculator says...

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 3:10 Quote
Cant tell if its a front or rear wheel, if it is rear then look at marquis's post, if it is the front then i dont know, i got the same thing wih my front wheel, but i did mine wrong, anyway, it looks like one side of your wheel isnt settled by the curved looking spokes (you do this my putting the wheel with the axle in, on a hard floor, and walking around the rim, then flipping it, walking around the rim, repeat until it stops sounding horrid) to be honest it isnt the end of the world, and it should hold up, just be more careful next time, and if you want to take it apart and try again then do, but i wouldnt say it needs doing

hang on, if that is a rear wheel you didnt try to dish it without the driver on it did you? if you did that is your problem, and check the dish by eye with the wheel on the bike to make sure

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 6:32 Quote
I figured it out. I was studying the wheel and found spokes traveling what should be an equal distance in opossit directios from the flange were consistently not threaded to the right and over threaded to the left. This gave the pattern I was seeing on the rim. Conclusion is I didn't rotate the hub enough from the start. I'm going to re-do it and the increased hub rotation will push and pull the spokes into their proper places.

Re-read my post and I said it came out nicesly DISHED and true Smile Dead Horse Smile

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 6:34 Quote
Make sure you have the correct length spokes for each side and take into account the dish.

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 8:34 Quote
What did you use to learn the pattern, as it should all twist into place if you start right

Posted: Jul 31, 2011 at 19:25 Quote
Well I took it all apart and started over. The problem was the rotation of the hub. I paid more attention to it during the build this time and made sure the spokes were reaching an equal distance in/out of the rim as I laced. I'm pumped I can build my own wheels now. Saves so much $$$

Any ways the DT spoke calculator worked perfectly. My spokes are seated nicely in the nipples, no threads showing under or sticking out above.

As far as my pattern, I ended up just studying a built wheel and going from there 8 at a time.

stingng
spokes
[PI= size=l align=c][/PI]
My first wheel build
[PI= size=l align=c][/PI]
My supreme DH

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 0:33 Quote
redfordtrails wrote:
I'm pumped I can build my own wheels now. Saves so much $$$

As far as my pattern, I ended up just studying a built wheel and going from there 8 at a time.

Firstly how often do you build, or even get new wheels?

and secondly it would have been easier to use something like this

Anyway good job and i am happy it all came out well for you

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 0:46 Quote
redfordtrails wrote:
Finished my first wheel and thought I'd get some feedback so I know if I need to re-do it before starting the other.

Wheel came out nicely dished and true. I'm concerned about my spokes though. Every two spokes going around the RIM enter a little shallow, then the next two a little deep and so on all around the wheel. I feel I barely have enough nipple threaded and then have almost exceeded the threads of the next two and the pattern repeats consistently through out the rim. The spoke lengths were calculated on two websites and checked by my LBS and we ordered them rounding up. Spoke tension feels great.

Does this wheel appear correct or do I have problems to correct? At this point I feel I could ride it, I just wonder if I did do something wrong.

trued wheel
trued wheel

short spoke shows threads
spoke with less in nipple

Long spoke sticks through
spoke threaded deeply into nipple

laced wheel
laced and untrue wheel
nice

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 5:11 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
redfordtrails wrote:
I'm pumped I can build my own wheels now. Saves so much $$$

Firstly how often do you build, or even get new wheels?

and secondly it would have been easier to use something like this

Anyway good job and i am happy it all came out well for you

I've never built a wheel before. I used to buy a new wheelset every couple of years. The bike radar lacing looks nice, but a bit more time consuming than the way I did it. Though speaking of time spent... I probably have around 10 hours in figuring out how to lace my first one. The second obviously went more quickly. Thanks for the link tho

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 7:09 Quote
Its the best way to get it right.and it means you start right, that is the hard bit, you just did it a weird way, look up any wheel building instructions and they say to do it the bike radar way...

oh well i am glad it came out well

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 15:26 Quote
redfordtrails wrote:

stingng

something look weird in that pic^, when I've done half the spokes it look like that
wheel

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022864
Mobile Version of Website