Moose Mountain Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Moose Mountain Thread
O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2011 at 22:18 Quote
yipykai yehe!
if you have lemons make lemonade, I got lots of rocks so I used them. The springs at the bottom of the meadow on Jean Guy on the Rocks should not be an issue anymore ( i hope!)
looking up
the spring will spring but my rocks will rock

and looking from the top, you can see the springs then the jump into the corner.

Posted: Oct 30, 2011 at 16:35 Quote
jerome wrote:
yipykai yehe!
if you have lemons make lemonade, I got lots of rocks so I used them. The springs at the bottom of the meadow on Jean Guy on the Rocks should not be an issue anymore ( i hope!)
looking up

and looking from the top, you can see the springs then the jump into the corner.

i like the work, but some constructive criticism;

this section was already pretty awkward coming off the two jumps at high speed. is it possible to put in a third jump where the rock crossing is, that then lands on the "jump" thats there now?

As it stands right now you bang down the two jumps in the meadow at high speed, over the rocks and then hit that lump "jump" that puts you to no landing and right into a turn.

Either making a third jump where the crossing is that uses that lump as a landing (that can be beefed up) or turning that lump into a takeoff and landing that is part of the berm will help that section flow a bit better. right now its slightly awkward at speed.

i'm more than happy to pick up a shovel and help, but dont want to interfere with a plan if there is one.

again....the work looks excellent.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2011 at 16:50 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
jerome wrote:
yipykai yehe!
looking up

i like the work, but some constructive criticism;

this section was already pretty awkward coming off the two jumps at high speed. is it possible to put in a third jump where the rock crossing is, that then lands on the "jump" thats there now?

As it stands right now you bang down the two jumps in the meadow at high speed, over the rocks and then hit that lump "jump" that puts you to no landing and right into a turn.

Either making a third jump where the crossing is that uses that lump as a landing (that can be beefed up) or turning that lump into a takeoff and landing that is part of the berm will help that section flow a bit better. right now its slightly awkward at speed.

i'm more than happy to pick up a shovel and help, but dont want to interfere with a plan if there is one.

again....the work looks excellent.

I added dirt on that lump, I haven't had the chance to hit it yet so give me a run or two. the plan is to make a jump and land in the turn

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 9:57 Quote
Ya i figured it was still a work in progress. Having the jump takeoff back at where the rocks now are would be perfect for landing on the back of that lump and hammering into the turn. Otherwise when flat out you'll be landing too deep into the berm turn if you take off from that jump.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 11:20 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
Ya i figured it was still a work in progress. Having the jump takeoff back at where the rocks now are would be perfect for landing on the back of that lump and hammering into the turn. Otherwise when flat out you'll be landing too deep into the berm turn if you take off from that jump.

The problem with putting the jump back where the Rocks are is there is too much water in the Spring and the jump would be right in the middle of it. I wanted the jump (or the lump) to land in the turn, if it is impossible to do then we can just take it out and build another jump somewhere else. More jumps and more berms make me happy!

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 15:25 Quote
Ah i see your point.

Yeah then making a proper landing into the turn would be good.

I really want to fix the jump out of the meadow right above where you were working where you step down into the small valley and quickly jump back out again. The second of the two hits has crap all for landing and it would be nice if we could box a landing with some wood and actually build up a proper transition that could be filled with dirt.

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 17:06 Quote
You raise a good point rondal but the only issue with that is the amount of variation to speeds and techniques of riders on this trail. It would be very difficult to build a landing that worked for everyone. If I built the landing for myself it would start about 30 feet away but that doesn't work for everyone. One of the best ways to get some good progress on the tails is by comin out to the trails days and meeting some of the builders and getting involved with some of the organizers. There are always going to be better ways of building and sections that could use more work than others. Give Jerome your number and I am sure he wouldn't mind heading out with ya and playing in some dirt. Just make sure the rocks you move are above the section you are working on and not 100 feet below. Work smart Smile

Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 23:27 Quote
trail days always seem to fall on weekends when im on call or away. i certainly hope to make it out to some in the future.

one option is to adopt the whistler mentality for building, and build a pro line that is slightly off to the side. basically it would end up being a two tier landing with the pro line riders hipping over slightly futher and slightly to the side to make the longer landing.

anyone who has ever ridden dirt merchant at whistler knows the first 3 hits on the trail have an option off of each takeoff where you basically choose your landing off a common takeoff. (or vice versa). the landing area is certainly large enough to accomodate this and would still allow ample room for an easier landing and a ride around.

but lets face it too, if you're riding jean guy and tackling the top section, you have already proved you're of at least average or higher skill.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 at 5:26 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
trail days always seem to fall on weekends when im on call or away. i certainly hope to make it out to some in the future.

one option is to adopt the whistler mentality for building, and build a pro line that is slightly off to the side. basically it would end up being a two tier landing with the pro line riders hipping over slightly futher and slightly to the side to make the longer landing.

anyone who has ever ridden dirt merchant at whistler knows the first 3 hits on the trail have an option off of each takeoff where you basically choose your landing off a common takeoff. (or vice versa). the landing area is certainly large enough to accomodate this and would still allow ample room for an easier landing and a ride around.

but lets face it too, if you're riding jean guy and tackling the top section, you have already proved you're of at least average or higher skill.

Wow the day I have Whistler's resources and time I will make you a pro line, a semi pro line and an amateur line on every jump on the trail. Until then, I will have a look at the landing and see if we can do something. Probably won't be until next year

Posted: Nov 1, 2011 at 9:36 Quote
sorry maybe you misunderstood.
I wasn't asking for whistler machine built trails, i was simply offering a suggested solution that others have used that works. It was merely an example.

A Moose specific example would be some of the new features at the very top of T-Dubb. You have a skinny to drop landing, right beside a jump to landing. Both lines utilize the same landing, but have seperate lines, albeit right beside each other, that add difficulty.

What i was suggesting is no different than what builders have already been doing. Single takeoff, with a stepped landing.

I'm more than happy to pick up a pick and shovel if/when you want to take a look at it.

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 1:23 Quote
I've been wondering, was the bridge at the bottom of T-dub/Shaft across Canyon Creek designed so that you have to dis-mount to get on to it? Or is it just not done yet?

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 6:53 Quote
jdm-dsm wrote:
I've been wondering, was the bridge at the bottom of T-dub/Shaft across Canyon Creek designed so that you have to dis-mount to get on to it? Or is it just not done yet?

for safety reasons, it is meant as a walking bridge. but if some Mountain bikers can ride a skinny....
remember, wet wood very bad, very slippery....

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 15:00 Quote
jerome wrote:
for safety reasons, it is meant as a walking bridge.

I wondered if that was the case. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 16:21 Quote
Actually - SRD imposed that condition that the bridge has to be walking only. We can live with that.

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 18:14 Quote
Going to try to clean up and nail a few boards in on Sat. one last trail day for the year. Any one interested let me know will be working on "That Whore" at Hanky Panky.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019317
Mobile Version of Website