How do rear Maxle's work, and I am a butcher.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do rear Maxle's work, and I am a butcher.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2011 at 10:41 Quote
I have a 12mm old school maxle out back on my marin.

Seems to me that you tighten it up axially by spinning the axle in with the handle, then flip the handle up, or back, to keep the axle from rotating. You can spin the "nut" on the drive side to make it harder or easier to flip up the handle.

When you flip the handle up it seems to merely expand the axle at the handle end, locking it in place radially. Doesn't seem to be a axial tightening dimension to this operation. The more you tighten the nut at the drive end of the axle, the more the handle end expands inside the dropout.

Who cares though... I set it up as I do a typical QR, which I have never blew up - and the cam/over center portion of the handle is failing. Cracking from stress, pounding out, changing shape. "It's too tight, you dummy!" Sure... but I hate stuff falling off while riding. It's the worst. You'd think this thing would be able to at least handle what my xt 9mm skewers do on my other bike, but no.

I'm going to order a Maxle lite from CRC, see if it's more durable.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences? Maybe I just got a bad one.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 at 11:02 Quote
are you sure the axle itself is tightened up enough? because the qr squewer bit is only meant to enable you to tighten up/ undo the axle.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2011 at 11:32 Quote
Yep. And what you've said reinforces my thoughts on how this thing works, thanks. Should be OK for a few more rides anyway!*

*Famous last words uttered before a long walk out of the bush...

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 at 14:17 Quote
Validating your thoughts. Yes tha'ts how it works. Check sicklines, I believe they have an article on the improvements of the new Maxle over previous generations.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011293
Mobile Version of Website