Crank brothers mallets vs shimano Dx clip less pedals

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crank brothers mallets vs shimano Dx clip less pedals
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2011 at 13:24 Quote
Guys opinions, crank brothers mallets or shimano dx clip less pedals?.

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 1:30 Quote
Moteymoney wrote:
Guys opinions, crank brothers mallets or shimano dx clip less pedals?.

The 647 Shimano is the best I've seen and very few smash them up. I found the Mallets to be a little too long when caught more rocks. If you pay attention to your leveled pedal position both are great but I side with the Shimano and am slowly converting all my bikes (I prefer the SPD to the CB cleats but that isn't usually the case). I have to shim the snot out of the CB wheras I prefer more of a slap it together and ride cleat set up.

A.

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 2:01 Quote
The new Mallet is small than the old one, they look at bit like the old CB Acid. I got some of the new Mallets last week, and did a Gravity Enduro with them on the weekend. it didn't go to well a twisted my back on the seeding run so didn't race on the Sunday. Anyway back to the pedals, I've used Candy's for years and love them, and to be honest the Mallet's don't fell any different to them. Can't comment on the Shimano pedals as I've never used them, always wanted something with a bit of float to them. The new Mallet's are also cheaper than the old ones.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2011 at 19:59 Quote
Ya I would like to hear some comments on this. I have 2 seasons on mallet 2's and with vans shoes it does not touch the pedal platform until twisting so just feels like a regular clipless pedal. I tries to put spikes on and it is hard to get out them. I am wondering if the dx pedals touch the bottom of the shoe while clipped in but yet still let the shoe float?

Posted: Dec 11, 2011 at 20:20 Quote
The DX vs. Mallet vs. whatever is also my dilema... some more feedback could be nice.

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 10:48 Quote
I have used the Time Z pedals, and CB Candy. Neither offer the platform feel.

I also tried the Mallets with 5.10 Hellcat shoes but the sole was so thick I had to shim it up. That was ok though. Where the issues was is the shoe is so wide I couldn't unclip my rear foot with the pedals level even because the toe box of the shoe hits the crank arm.

Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 12:32 Quote
Went for the DX they are mint. Really easy to engage and disengage. Nice platform makes your foot feel super stable. And more tension adjustment than the mallets.

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
What shoes work well with them? I want the shoe to touch the cage.

Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 17:20 Quote
kelownamike wrote:

If you're talking about the DX, Shimano's AM45s are probably those who fit the bill the best.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55370

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 8:26 Quote
I rode the CBs for like 4 years, and found 3 huge issues, the bearings are too small and blow up every 6 months, you can't adjust the release tension (once you ride clips for a while you'll find it's nice to crank the tension on the SPDs way up) but worst of all by far is the fact that they unclip you when you tag a rock just so. If you get a rock that pushes up on both wings you pop right out of the pedal.

Times are cool too, I just prefer my DXs

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 10:38 Quote
kelownamike wrote:
I use 661 filters they are quality.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 11:38 Quote
So the 661 shoes touch the cage? It seems like my Vans have a very thin sole, maybe 1/8"

Posted: Dec 14, 2011 at 7:31 Quote
Me kit/experience......
Clipless Shoes:661 and 510 - personally i prefer the fit of the 661

Pedals: Mallets and DX's - love the adjustablity on the DX's and knew they'd be bullet proof - abused them for 1.5yrs and spent the whole time lusting after mallets Frown bought mallet Smile sent them back for warranty after one ride Frown they are bollocks - that was a year ago, i refitted the 'ugly, chunky, heavy, unfashionable' DX's and have continued ignoring them for the last 12months............ I was a fool Frown

get the DX's listen to your brain not your heart - if you ask a pro mech on the wc circuit about mallets (im now in a local mtb club with an ex (last year) TWR mech so he knows some shit!) they'll go blue and complain about servicing twice daily! I know the wc circuit is an extreme example but i cannot stress the point enough!!

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 at 7:46 Quote
@thelumberjack =>Great write up. So true, the CB products have sex appeal but not long term viability, like your best friends girl. I think I will try a pair of DX (my Mallets are pooched after 1 season xc/enduro)

Thanks for all the comments!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015869
Mobile Version of Website