Looking for a hardtail... Build or buy?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Looking for a hardtail... Build or buy?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 24, 2011 at 21:48 Quote
Whats up fellas,
Im looking for a hardtail. I once had a banshee scream but that wasnt what I was really after. I since sold that but looking to get back into FR with a hardtail. Nothing too crazy, but I would say its way more than XC.

What Im wondering is, build or buy? I dont mind used, nor buying new assembled. So whats out there? Im looking to spend around 1500? I have no idea whats out there now days, but Im going to continue to scour the forums. Any and all input is appreciated.

edit: I totally forgot I have a jamis komomdo sitting at my parents house. I just came across this thread, and I guess these frames arent bad for FR...

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 20:21 Quote
yeah I have a komodo, the bike came with some rst forks that suck really bad but luckily a friend of mine sold me a rock shox pike 140mm for cheap and it does really well on rough dh and decent sized freeride. If I were you I would get some really nice parts for that komodo frame. Maybe some good 140-160mm forks and some good brakes and wheels.

Since this picture I've turned it single speed as I don't pedal too much where I ride and I'm getting a new rear wheel too
photo

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 21:55 Quote
tight bro.
Im after a pike too, but good luck finding one. Id like to stay in the 150mm range. And ( since Ive been out of the game for a bit ) I see that 20mm fronts are like old school haha. Someone said that I should get a 15mm wheelset. So Thats up for debate too. And not only that, the search goes on for a lite strong wheelset that isnt going to kill the pocket.

I do have a single track 20mm on the front because of my manitou sherman firefly that is on there ( 05 haha ) so thats gotta go, and the brakes are hayes HFX 9s from back in the day too. Id like to replace them... But they work so I might stick with them so I can put money else where.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 11:55 Quote
well I have done downhill in my home country since my 9 years hold, then I moved into the U.K and I needed a bike that could use for everything, some downhill, freeride and dirtjump. Well i got a kona Five-o and i must say I am really happy with it, it comes with a mazorachi forks with 140 and some good specks , the only thing I am changing on it is the wheels to a custom build ones. Sun Ringle Single Track Welded Disc Rim(black 36h) on a dt swiss spokes and a hope 2 pro hubs, apart from this upgrade to he bike the frame is really good and strong.
photo

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 19:28 Quote
20mm through axles are definitely not out of date. They are still commonly used today on freeride and downhill forks. Don't waste money on buying a new 15mm wheel and fork just get a new fork if you feel like yours is too old. you should post a pic up of your komodo.

Posted: Sep 29, 2011 at 17:57 Quote
alexs bike is pretty sick and hes rode some pretty gnarly downhill trails with a couple of our friends that have fulls

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011514
Mobile Version of Website