Bikes for Whistler

PB Forum :: Downhill
Bikes for Whistler
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 7:46 Quote
Hi guys,

So im looking for some advice here.

I am planning to spend next year in Whistler, Iv have never been downhill mountain biking much before. My current bike is a specialized epic, although I push it quite hard that is the style of riding iv been doing given there arent many gnarly downhill runs around me.

So the advice: Im looking for a bike that will be relatively versatile but able to hit most of the jumps, drops and trails that Whistler offers.

Iv been looking at transition blindsides and scott voltage FRs as potential bikes, I just wanted to get a bit of help from people a bit more experienced. Will they hold up to the tracks tracks in Whistler? Or should I go for a full on 8' travel DH thoroughbred?

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 8, 2011 at 4:57 Quote
dThass wrote:
Hi guys,

So im looking for some advice here.

I am planning to spend next year in Whistler, Iv have never been downhill mountain biking much before. My current bike is a specialized epic, although I push it quite hard that is the style of riding iv been doing given there arent many gnarly downhill runs around me.

So the advice: Im looking for a bike that will be relatively versatile but able to hit most of the jumps, drops and trails that Whistler offers.

Iv been looking at transition blindsides and scott voltage FRs as potential bikes, I just wanted to get a bit of help from people a bit more experienced. Will they hold up to the tracks tracks in Whistler? Or should I go for a full on 8' travel DH thoroughbred?

Thanks!

Voltage fr would be perfect, have a look at scott gamblers also.

Posted: Dec 8, 2011 at 6:00 Quote
A 7" travel bike will be just fine at whistler, you may not be a kona, but check out the entourage its a pretty cool bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 11:45 Quote
If you are getting a bike just for riding the chairlift, get a DH bike. While an AM may be "fine" for the park, I think what you are looking for is something that is "awesome" for the park.

There are few places in the world more worthy of a full blown DH bike than Whistler. Unless you plan to spend all day on the jump trails, but even then I would still rather ride my V10. And then on all the tech stuff there is just no comparison. You want to be able to ride all day and not get beat to hell. Go for the big guns.

Posted: Dec 10, 2011 at 11:09 Quote
kramster wrote:
If you are getting a bike just for riding the chairlift, get a DH bike. While an AM may be "fine" for the park, I think what you are looking for is something that is "awesome" for the park.

There are few places in the world more worthy of a full blown DH bike than Whistler. Unless you plan to spend all day on the jump trails, but even then I would still rather ride my V10. And then on all the tech stuff there is just no comparison. You want to be able to ride all day and not get beat to hell. Go for the big guns.

I agree completely. I know lots of people in the UK who think Whistler is just jumps but there is definitely more technical downhill there than jumpy tracks. Most riders would be very grateful for the extra squish on A-line, they aren't small jumps and it's damned fast

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2011 at 11:21 Quote
Exactly. Aline is built for DH bikes. You can ride it on hardtail if you want but there is zero disadvantage to riding it on a DH bike.

Look at it this way, if a DH bike is not the best choice for the biggest and most varied lift accessed terrain on the planet, then where the heck is it a good choice?

Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 16:25 Quote
Definitely a full on DH bike with dual crown fork. The whole summer at whistler will pretty much kill or beat to death any all mountain bike. Plus. As said before, whistler has some sick ass gnar that is engaging on a dual crown and down right scary on a single crown bike. Not to mention...your not exactly captain Dh right now.

My standard never withouts at whistler:

Dual crown fork
Dual ply DH soft compound tires
Spare dérailleur
Spare brakes
Googles in the late summer
Advil

FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 16:50 Quote
Scott voltage fr, you can change it to what your riding or your riding style. Perfect bike

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 17:45 Quote
Just curious

Have any of the people above who are recommending anything less than a DH bike spent a season in Whistler?

I think it's important to validate your opinion to the OP so he knows whether it's based on experience or not.

And let's keep in mind that the OP is not asking about 1 bike to rule them all. He's asking about the best bike to buy for Whistler.

I have a NomadC and it's awesome. I would be more than happy to ride it on anything. However, if you are riding the bike park day after day, there is no way I would recommend it. Neither would my friends who have NomadC's who absolutely love them for most everything; just not for hot lapping Whistler day after day. This place is made for DH bikes. Why in the world you would want to ride anything else as your one and only if it's the only place you're riding 90% of the time is beyond me and just about anyone else who's spent a solid amount of time there. If Whistler doesn't justify a DH bike, then they may as well stop making them because few places on the planet suit one better. Sure, this is just another person's opinion, but it's based on having spent a lot of time in the bike park, as well as observing people visiting on AM bikes and saying they would get a DH bike if they lived here.

Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 18:17 Quote
I honestly only recommended something smaller because i thought that was the type of bike he wanted. Can a 7 inch travel bike handle whistler? Yes, but even i bought a full 8 inch travel bike only riding at highland mountain bike park out here in nh.

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 0:30 Quote
Man. The Scott fan boys sure are a rapid clan.

If someone asked me "hey, you can have any bike you want for a summer at whistler, what do you want". I can tell you that I wouldn't even think about a Scott. Your going to be there all summer...buy a bike to RULE the hill, not just "do" the hill.

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 1:03 Quote
pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Man. The Scott fan boys sure are a rapid clan.

If someone asked me "hey, you can have any bike you want for a summer at whistler, what do you want". I can tell you that I wouldn't even think about a Scott. Your going to be there all summer...buy a bike to RULE the hill, not just "do" the hill.

What do you mean?

A Scott voltage has to be one of the most versatile bikes around...You can do so much different types of riding on it.

My friend has one has its great on jumps , Technical trails , and it has numerous differnt shock options depending on what type of riding you want to do.

Then again Ive never been to whistler so I cant speak for whats their only the bike.

I would recommend the Scott voltage or if you looking for 8 inches maybe the new Specialized status?

There are 3 options to the scott here is there worst one but is stil great http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/product/10034/55666/217971

Or the new specializd status http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCMain.jsp?scid=1100

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 3:37 Quote
kramster wrote:
Just curious

Have any of the people above who are recommending anything less than a DH bike spent a season in Whistler?

I think it's important to validate your opinion to the OP so he knows whether it's based on experience or not.

And let's keep in mind that the OP is not asking about 1 bike to rule them all. He's asking about the best bike to buy for Whistler.

I have a NomadC and it's awesome. I would be more than happy to ride it on anything. However, if you are riding the bike park day after day, there is no way I would recommend it. Neither would my friends who have NomadC's who absolutely love them for most everything; just not for hot lapping Whistler day after day. This place is made for DH bikes. Why in the world you would want to ride anything else as your one and only if it's the only place you're riding 90% of the time is beyond me and just about anyone else who's spent a solid amount of time there. If Whistler doesn't justify a DH bike, then they may as well stop making them because few places on the planet suit one better. Sure, this is just another person's opinion, but it's based on having spent a lot of time in the bike park, as well as observing people visiting on AM bikes and saying they would get a DH bike if they lived here.
exactly how I felt when I was in Whistler with my Nomad...

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 9:33 Quote
Downhill340 wrote:
Then again Ive never been to whistler

I'm sure you mean well, but it seems there are a few people that want to help out so badly that they are giving advice on what bike is best suited to a place they have never been. Meanwhile the unfortunate OP gets a mix of opinions, some of which are ill informed, and may end up making the wrong decision.

If there is someone out there who thinks their AM bike is the best choice for Whistler after having actually spent more than a week or two there, let's hear from them. It is entirely possible, but unless you've done it, you really have no business offering your "advice".

Subarus are versatile. But they are no substitute for diff lockers when the going gets tough.

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 at 9:42 Quote
Get a Transition TR250.
That bike was designed for Whistler. 6" or 7" travel, Jumps like a champ and handles the gnarly stuff.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013502
Mobile Version of Website