Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 6:51 Quote
If hitting the dirt to pack it in with the back of the spade, kinda pull it towards you as you connect. Its hard to explain, but it stops anything sticking and kinda smooths it off aswell.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 10:10 Quote
Smack and slide boys, smack and slide!

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
Yeah, I'll go and try that today, thanks guys!

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:

Quote of the day

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 12:06 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:

Quote of the day

has this something to do with valentine day?
huhu

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 16:03 Quote
getting back into riding jumps, there's a really OG jump spot within riding distance of my house but no one has dug there for years because the old builders moved away and the jumps got ruined so everyone stopped riding there. I fancy rebuilding them and riding them but the issue is they are next to a public skate park which is used by lots of kids, the jumps are in the open and there is a large public swimming pool 100 metres away and their car park backs onto the spot and I'm sure they have CCTV which overlooks it all, there's a great run in and from what I know no one has had any issues before but times have changed, we now live in a culture of nothing is an accident and we can make a quick couple of quid by taking anyone and everyone to court; is it worth giving a renovation a go? the land is council owned so technically no trespass laws but what could they bring me up on if someone gets arsey? there's room for two flowy tabletops and a dirt flyout which used to be so much fun to ride back in the day, this spot is what really got me into jumps and riding in general.

*Edit* anyone in the Kent, England area? into building and riding jumps?

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 16:07 Quote
Tbh, your best option is to talk to the council. With it being so close to other things that attract people (especially kids) they may have a serious issue, yeah no trespass laws but being prosecuted for endangerment of the public and potentially criminal damage aswell, I wouldn't chance it. You never know, they might allow it as an unofficial site, though youd probably have to have everything rollable for the kids sake. Though its not the end of the world, its encouraging the next generation of riders, might even get rid of some of those annoying scooters

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 16:18 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
Tbh, your best option is to talk to the council. With it being so close to other things that attract people (especially kids) they may have a serious issue, yeah no trespass laws but being prosecuted for endangerment of the public and potentially criminal damage aswell, I wouldn't chance it. You never know, they might allow it as an unofficial site, though youd probably have to have everything rollable for the kids sake. Though its not the end of the world, its encouraging the next generation of riders, might even get rid of some of those annoying scooters
I was thinking the same but round here the councils don't like jumps because we have PORC and some jumps built by the Red Bull Backyard Digger scheme so they believe when we have those facilities even though the red bull jumps aren't maintained- need to complain again about that- that we shouldn't be building our own, the main issue is it's a great little spot but not a big enough scene any more, there is a spot about 5 mile away on the other side of where I work which has a few lines but the woods are so sketchy they're barely ever rideable its so wet. Might have to reconsider spots, what does everyone look for in a jump spot? I always seem to find a perfect spot then start work and have issues.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 17:02 Quote
tell them that this is something more local, more accessible and that it is something everyone can ride. try to apeal to the fact that it can be safe, and it will introduce the kids to riding and DJ.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 17:09 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
tell them that this is something more local, more accessible and that it is something everyone can ride. try to apeal to the fact that it can be safe, and it will introduce the kids to riding and DJ.
for something like jumps to be legal on council land and backed they must have all sorts of health and safety forms such as risk assessments and the likes which is more paperwork; who likes doing paperwork? I've dealt with these guys before with an argument regarding stables and they are always right even when they're wrong and will argue to the death that they're right. I've decided that I will scout some new spots Monday as I have the day off, can't wait for the 27th I get a majesty frame and an RNS fork then I can order the rest of the parts to have it built in the week so I can ride jumps again Big Grin

Posted: Feb 15, 2015 at 0:57 Quote
liamthebadger wrote:
TFreeman wrote:
for something like jumps to be legal on council land and backed they must have all sorts of health and safety forms such as risk assessments and the likes which is more paperwork; who likes doing paperwork? I've dealt with these guys before with an argument regarding stables and they are always right even when they're wrong and will argue to the death that they're right. I've decided that I will scout some new spots Monday as I have the day off, can't wait for the 27th I get a majesty frame and an RNS fork then I can order the rest of the parts to have it built in the week so I can ride jumps again Big Grin

Do what I did. Approach the council with plans for a pump track first. When you mention jumps they just think of little Johnny with a broken arm! Start small.

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 13:15 Quote
[Quote="oldmanDan"][Quote="liamthebadger"]
TFreeman wrote:
tell them that this is something more local, more

Do what I did. Approach the council with plans for a pump track first. When you mention jumps they just think of little Johnny with a broken arm! Start small.

A be sure to litter it with newspeak (true as it might actually be), ala: "We propose a vollenteer built childrens play area / pump truck that encourages health and well being". Of course its true, but it's a shoe in the door of much more.

The UK certainly is not any different than good-ol'-Statist USA. Just learn to play the game.

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 13:51 Quote
Public dirt park I've been working on just got molested by people walking in 2 inches of mud. f*ck it

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 13:59 Quote
^know this pain. had a groomed pump/bmx track thrashed by some guys on 50cc motos

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.132064
Mobile Version of Website